New trailer - what equipment/kit do I need?

Blythwind

Visit site
Apologies if this has been asked before.

My new trailer is coming on Saturday and I am going to start practicing towing it empty before going out and about with horse.

Does anyone have any really useful tips on (non-horsey) things I should make sure I always have with me, that I may not have thought about? For example, spare baling twine, a hammer, a torch..

Thanks in advance!

Clippy

Visit site
If it's an Ifor Williams, always have your allen key handy. If a horse got in a panic and argued with a breast bar, you can release the fitting from the outside. I'd invest in a couple of trailer ties rather than tying to the ring or using baler twine. Full width bars are well worth having for tricky loaders too so that you can travel a horse minus the partitions.

albeg

Visit site
Make sure your jack is suitable for supporting the trailer if you have to change a tyre.
Also make sure the wrench fits the nuts. The one for our jeep is slightly bigger than the standard size, so we have two different ones.

haras

Visit site
I have a trailer aid and have used it, without a horse on board to be fair, but it makes changing a tyre so easy! worth every penny!

I have a step box that I keep in my trailer and pop in the back of the car when i have a horse on board.

In it I keep:

Alum keys and wrench for trailer (IW506, so has the quick release)
Equine first aid kit
2 spare headcollars that will fit all my horses
2 spare leadropes
bailer string
spare bulbs
duct tape
scissors
pen knife
Torch
small mallet

Also doubles up as a very useful mounting block / step for standing on to get the pin out when removing the partitions.

I also got a couple of self adhesive hooks to put at the front. So useful for hanging shirts, jackets and bridles on when getting ready!

I have full width bars as well, as its easier to tack up in the trailer without partitions in if only travelling one!

Have fun with your trailer!

Last edited:

haras

Visit site
Do you just drive up onto it if you need to change a tyre? Looks very handy. :)

Yes! Drive the good tyre onto it and it lifts the bad one off the ground enough to change it. No need to unload, which on the side of a busy road makes it worth every penny.

albeg

Visit site
Forgot to say, also have a spare safety brake cable, so if you forget to undo it and break it, you will be able to replace it straight away. Get the clevis type one if possible, it's easier to change.
It's also handy to have a tool kit, you never know when you might need it.

maresmaid

Visit site
In addition to many items already mentioned i always have a knife and a can of wd40. I keep a tub trug and a pair of rubber gloves in the trailer for a quick skip out when i arrive at my destination which saves all the poo getting squished into the grooves in the matting.

Blythwind

Visit site
Thank you everyone.

Its an IW 401 (single trailer). It already has a wheel lock and hitch lock. I will get spare bulbs and spare brake cable for it. I will also get a toolkit/box for all the other things people have mentioned.
x