"New" trainer for Ludo

Roxylola

Visit site
Hes a different horse to a year or so ago and will be different again in a years time - totally get the elastic band analogy, I think its very appropriate for him. He looks super willing any bits I've seen of him

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
He is mentally extremely trainable, he will always try whatever you ask. If he anticipates what you ask, particularly in the trot and canter transitions, it can be a wild ride as he throws his head, neck and front feet in all directions trying to get away from the contact, go faster than you want him to, and balance himself at the same time. He did once get his legs knotted up and faceplant! Thankfully, we've pretty much got that cracked now.

I don't think he's going to be mature until he's eight, and he's going to be a very chunky horse by then.

Mule

Visit site
He really is going well. I notice he looks much stronger everytime I see him. Of course I'm also very partial to his spots :)

J&S

Visit site
I can really understand your enthusiasm for your horse and his training. Lucky you, you have two to do!

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
That must have been such a great feeling to get those comments on him. :)

I know nothing about how horses develop under saddle or what to look for in their movement but it's so interesting reading about how they progress, and seeing if I can pick up what others comment upon. How did you start out with Ludo? I've not spotted earlier posts about him or they might be pre- me joining the forum, sounds like he's making exciting progress anyway and great to have your trainer on board. :)

Sam_J

Visit site
I was going to make the 'plainly lame' comment;) but I see HashRouge beat me to it :p

He looks fabulous, I'm so pleased that you've found a trainer that suits you - even if you have to travel to get there. I look forward to hearing all about it.

ycbm

Visit site
That must have been such a great feeling to get those comments on him. :)

I know nothing about how horses develop under saddle or what to look for in their movement but it's so interesting reading about how they progress, and seeing if I can pick up what others comment upon. How did you start out with Ludo? I've not spotted earlier posts about him or they might be pre- me joining the forum, sounds like he's making exciting progress anyway and great to have your trainer on board. :)

I bought him at two after he had spent a season as a stallion. He has seven two year olds somewhere. He's now five.

Absolutely literally, I only bought him for his spots because I"d never owned a spotted horse. He wasn't white, either, he was pale bay with a white blanket. I wouldn't have bought him if I'd known he was going to go white!

I thought he would make about 15.2, but as soon as we gelded him he started to grow like a weed and is now nearly a hand more than that. I bought him from a field deep in grass and didn't even see him trotted up. It was obvious when I got him home that he moved well. I remember my jaw dropping when I saw him walk off. I backed him at three but he was very weak so I only rode him twice a week for no more than 20 minutes, often less.

At four I started to train him but I still felt he was weak and usually didn't ride for more than half an hour and never two days in a row. At five I felt he was strong enough to work slightly longer and more often.

He's still very young looking, leggy, and to ride he is more flexible than is good for him and he feels as if it would be very easy to ask him to do too much, so I'm still very cautious about how much we do.

One of the biggest signs of his progress is the reduction in him dishing - swinging his front legs out and also in plaiting - landing his front feet in the middle of his chest. You can still see bits of both in the video.

His work at the moment is focused on straightness, because he has such a big engine behind that it moves out and almost tries to overtake the front. And we are working hard on rhythm because he is not a naturally rhythmic horse, he's fussy in the mouth, he has to have the rider set the rhythm. And third is bend through the body and being able to bend in either direction at any time when asked. All of those are progressing really fast now he has the strength to do it.

My trainer rides at GP and we plan, however long it takes, to get Ludo to that level, though I may not compete. I have one time tempis on my bucket list. First we have to keep him in one piece!

Last edited:

Lexi_

Visit site
I think he’s an absolute cracker ? I remember the last video you posted and don’t think I commented at the time but he had such nice natural elevation in it. The rhythm is looking good in this one!

ponyparty

Visit site
He’s lovely ycbm I don’t think I had heard his full history actually, so that was useful and nice to get up to speed with! How lucky he is to have an owner happy to take it at his pace, and to have allowed him to mature before asking more. Look forward to seeing more Ludo updates ?

Trouper

Visit site
Just caught up with this - thank you for posting it. You can see how much he has come on from his early ones I watched and how much more he has to give. Bless him, he is still growing and forming his body never mind learning what you want him to do with it. What a lovely project to have!!

tristar

Visit site
its great to see someone let a baby horse be a baby horse, it must good for all the people on here who look for info on how it needs to be for a young horse etc. and not rushing on, with an obviously very immature horse that has a long way to go before he is finished

he really suits you, and either you are riding well or he makes you look good, but either way he shows off your riding very well, you look like you compliment each other.

ycbm

Visit site
he really suits you, and either you are riding well or he makes you look good, but either way he shows off your riding very well, you look like you compliment each other.

Thankyou :). I don't think I ride badly, but he is a textbook case of finding a horse that suits your own physiology. He is wide across the wither and has a very sprung ribcage behind my leg, but narrow through my knees, and I'm narrow through the pelvis, and his shape lets me sit like a clothes peg doll pinned down each side. On wider horses I sit crooked, with my right hip further back than my left. His major flaw, his unsteady mouth, forces me to be absolutely steady in my contact, which has been a major flaw of mine in the past. We suit each other down to the ground :)

tristar

Visit site
Thankyou :). I don't think I ride badly, but he is a textbook case of finding a horse that suits your own physiology. He is wide across the wither and has a very sprung ribcage behind my leg, but narrow through my knees, and I'm narrow through the pelvis, and his shape lets me sit like a clothes peg doll pinned down each side. On wider horses I sit crooked, with my right hip further back than my left. His major flaw, his unsteady mouth, forces me to be absolutely steady in my contact, which has been a major flaw of mine in the past. We suit each other down to the ground :)

don`t you think the mouth is fairly normal for a horse of that age? and hence the array of gob shutting nb`s available, most of ours have done that, then grow out of it.

interesting how a horses shape can suit you, i have one that i just love sitting on, i feel like i`m sitting on a comfy sofa and he goes along so smoothly i could ride him all day

ycbm

Visit site
don`t you think the mouth is fairly normal for a horse of that age? and hence the array of gob shutting nb`s available, most of ours have done that, then grow out of it.

No, he's not normal, I've backed quite a few and it's rare to have the amount of chomping that goes on whenever there is a bit in his mouth, whether he's working or in the stable. If BD didn't require a bit, he's a horse who by now i would accept simply does not like a bit in his mouth, and go bitless, but I don't feel that's an option at the moment.

He's the only horse I have had where I routinely tie his mouth shut. I don't like it but right now I don't feel I have another option. I've tried loads of bits and the Bomber Happy Tongue is far and away the best for him.

Last edited:

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
I bought him at two after he had spent a season as a stallion. He has seven two year olds somewhere. He's now five.

Absolutely literally, I only bought him for his spots because I"d never owned a spotted horse. He wasn't white, either, he was pale bay with a white blanket. I wouldn't have bought him if I'd known he was going to go white!

I thought he would make about 15.2, but as soon as we gelded him he started to grow like a weed and is now nearly a hand more than that. I bought him from a field deep in grass and didn't even see him trotted up. It was obvious when I got him home that he moved well. I remember my jaw dropping when I saw him walk off. I backed him at three but he was very weak so I only rode him twice a week for no more than 20 minutes, often less.

At four I started to train him but I still felt he was weak and usually didn't ride for more than half an hour and never two days in a row. At five I felt he was strong enough to work slightly longer and more often.

He's still very young looking, leggy, and to ride he is more flexible than is good for him and he feels as if it would be very easy to ask him to do too much, so I'm still very cautious about how much we do.

One of the biggest signs of his progress is the reduction in him dishing - swinging his front legs out and also in plaiting - landing his front feet in the middle of his chest. You can still see bits of both in the video.

His work at the moment is focused on straightness, because he has such a big engine behind that it moves out and almost tries to overtake the front. And we are working hard on rhythm because he is not a naturally rhythmic horse, he's fussy in the mouth, he has to have the rider set the rhythm. And third is bend through the body and being able to bend in either direction at any time when asked. All of those are progressing really fast now he has the strength to do it.

My trainer rides at GP and we plan, however long it takes, to get Ludo to that level, though I may not compete. I have one time tempis on my bucket list. First we have to keep him in one piece!

Exciting times ahead then! I'll look forward to reading more about his progress :)

I think I could spot what you meant about dishing and plaiting - is that related to him being young and needing to get used to/stronger at carrying a rider?

ycbm

Visit site
Exciting times ahead then! I'll look forward to reading more about his progress :)

I think I could spot what you meant about dishing and plaiting - is that related to him being young and needing to get used to/stronger at carrying a rider?

Yes, he lands his feet wider apart more often the stronger he gets. I think he will soon not plait at all, he has a super chest and he isn't base narrow when he stands. He's just placing his foot central to his body because that takes less strength and balance than having it under his shoulder.

The dishing is more because of the way his joints angle, and lots of horses do it, but it looks more extreme when he's ridden than it is, again because of his lack of strength and balance. Dishing isn't an issue as long as the foot lands equally on both heels.

ycbm

Visit site
In our third lesson we tried shoulder in to travers on the long side, the first time he's ever done it and by far the most difficult thing he's ever tried. I think it's a pretty good attempt. He was trying so hard for me, the lovely boy.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Canter is still a work in progress, but this is a big improvement in strength, so the rest will follow soon i think.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Trainer says it's now a question of repeating this kind of work until he builds the strength to maintain his balance consistently. I'm really motivated to ride since I went back to her :)

I was shocked when I saw these videos. Isn't he beginning to make me look small !?!

Last edited:

Roxylola

Visit site
As a small person who makes 14.3 look 16hh, nope you look a nice size together ?
Hes looking fab, we do similar things to also help improve our canter. Glad you're out and enjoying him

ycbm

Visit site
He's beginning to be able to sit. It's all coming together really quickly now. He's also stopped standing with a leg stuck out behind him, which worried me so much I posted a thread about it last year. I was told by the physio that it was weak stifles, so they must be getting stronger. He was worth the wait, I finish almost every schooling session with a grin on my face. He can be a dork to hack, though :)

Last edited:

Mule

Visit site
This is a very nice horse. Don't worry a jot about dishing, etc.: it is how he moves, nothing less, nothing more. I'm glad you have rediscovered a sympathetic trainer, there is no greater ally. Seeing your videos has very slightly reignited a desire to teach someone in me (but only slightly...).
When did you stop teaching?

ycbm

Visit site
I'm a bit too far for you to travel to train me on Deza, I guess? ?

He's such a nice person, too, Cortez. Really sweet and gentle.