"New" trainer for Ludo

Apercrumbie

Visit site
He's looking great - I'm another who wouldn't worry about dishing or plaiting at his age and stage. It's so obviously a balance & strength issue and as he's young, that's an issue that will pass in good time. Noticeable improvement in the canter between the videos - I imagine you'll start to see quicker progress in the next few months than you have so far!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I haven't posted for a while because Ludo went a little bit flat while we were slowing him down and waiting for him to strengthen up, but he's right back on form now!

He's doing half 20m circle counter canter, shoulder in and travers wtc, walk pirouette and today we made our first attempts at half pass in trot and a medium trot. He's going to be great at both! He's a joy to train.

Here's the first ever try at half pass, crossing in front and behind. Lots more to do, but what a great start ?

Screenshot_20201028-145047_YouCut - Video Editor~2.jpgScreenshot_20201028-145219_YouCut - Video Editor~2.jpg

Screenshot_20201028-145047_YouCut%2B-%2BVideo%2BEditor.jpg

Screenshot_20201028-145219_YouCut%2B-%2BVideo%2BEditor.jpg

Last edited:

Mule

Visit site
I haven't posted for a while because Ludo went a little bit flat while we were slowing him down and waiting for him to strengthen up, but he's right back on form now!

He's doing half 20m circle counter canter, shoulder in and travers wtc, walk pirouette and today we made our first attempts at half pass in trot and at medium trot. He's going to be great at both! He's a joy to train.

Here's the first ever try at half pass, crossing in front and behind. Lots more to do, but what a great start ?

View attachment 57876View attachment 57878

Screenshot_20201028-145047_YouCut%2B-%2BVideo%2BEditor.jpg

Screenshot_20201028-145219_YouCut%2B-%2BVideo%2BEditor.jpg
Wow, he looks so handsome and very athletic.

ycbm

Visit site
You must be delighted, he seems to have the brain, willingness and physical capability, getting all three together is a real find!

This is what my trainer and I are feeling. Obviously he's not an international superstar, but he's athletic, flexible and extremely trainable. He was one hell of a chance find 3 years ago. I never tire of telling anyone who sees him that I only bought him because I've never had a spotty horse before. And it's true!

I would really like to buy one of his babies but I've no idea where they are. If anyone knows of an Ithon Patch two year old for sale please let me know.

Last edited:

ycbm

Visit site
Sonia Webster (married name Baines). She's a GP rider but so down to earth and fun. Every lesson is different and she's not afraid to break eggs to make omelettes. She's based in Chesterfield.

ycbm

Visit site
We had a fabulous lesson today. He's got so much stronger, and he's now holding the trot rhythm for himself instead of me having to count it. My trainer remarked on just how much bulk he had put on, and not an ounce of it is fat, all muscle.

He can now counter canter a complete circuit of the school on each leg, and today we tried striking off in counter canter, which will be a prerequisite for flying changes. He got it almost straight away.

Half pass from behind with some lovely crossing.

Screenshot_20201111-161435_YouCut - Video Editor~2.jpg

And his uphill canter

Screenshot_20201111-162821_YouCut - Video Editor.jpg

And yes, he really is getting darker and darker. His mane is now growing in black. This time last year it was almost all silver. I love it, the darker the better!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
he is looking fab and i like the new colouring as well. he has really matured, any chance of a video sometime, i just love the way he moves, what a good buy!!!

GinaGeo

Visit site
Ludo is looking super - he’s certainly an athletic looking type and you both sound like you are enjoying yourselves!

Sonia isn’t a million miles from me and as my current trainer is moving to Devon I might have to get in touch!

ycbm

Visit site
I'd love to share the videos but he's still a baby and they are far from perfect, and it spoils everything for me if even one person makes comments about soundness or 'he was going better a month ago' (when he was doing something less physically or mentally stressful).

When he was 2 I put up video of him running around loose and someone said that they didn't want to be 'that person' who spoiled things but still went on to say he was lame in the right hind. It's been nagging at the back of my mind ever since that they might be right and after three years I'm only now starting to believe he isn't going to break down at any moment.

He's such a joy to ride!

ycbm

Visit site
He looks so uphill in the canter photo. He has really come on. He is very strong looking too.

I got one that was so extreme he looked like he was bucking! I chose one that was a bit more representative :)

tristar

Visit site
i actually like the way you are sitting for him, lightly and with a light rein contact as well, it seems to be working for you