New ultra laid back horse no longer ultra laid back :(

wilkinson1

Visit site
Does he see the other horses coming and and out regularly? I have a very sensitive 6yo - we've been on a variety of yards as I've had to move for work and uni etc. He doesn't do well on a livery yard unless it's small and a set routine. He is very stressy on a big yard - if he can see others going in and out etc. He's now at a friend's house with three others. They go out in pairs each day and he can watch the others being ridden or just in their stables from his own stable. This is the calmest I've seen him, and it's taken 4 weeks to get there. Some horses are just more sensitive than others - it sounds like yours hasn't settled yet.

This just about hits the nail on the head in my mind. He has come from that precise set up - small yard, able to watch everything that goes on etc. I don't think there is anything like that local to me though otherwise I would move instantly so will he eventually settle if I cant move do you think? Or do some horses just never settle? :(

wilkinson1

Visit site
I moved yards 10 days ago and for about 5 days my mare was really quiet. I was telling myself how great it was that she'd found somewhere where she could settle. I was wrong! She has turned into a stroppy, mad mannered thug. She's always been a bit tricky but I think (hope) this is all part of her settling in.

So I'm trying to keep it all consistent at the moment whilst hoping that I haven't undone 3 years of hard work. With yours it might just be the change of scenery too......

Good luck with your mare. I'm sure you wont have undone all your hard work, and at least she has you as her constant x

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
This just about hits the nail on the head in my mind. He has come from that precise set up - small yard, able to watch everything that goes on etc. I don't think there is anything like that local to me though otherwise I would move instantly so will he eventually settle if I cant move do you think? Or do some horses just never settle? :(

Some never settle. An old horse of mine was fabulous on one yard and dangerous on another. I had to move her off it and she reverted back to good behaviour straight away.

fornema

Visit site
is your yard a similar set up to the previous owners yard? I know he settled right away with them, but some horses pick up on the vibe of certain yards and chill, and are not as chilled at others.... not meaning to sound 'alternative' with using the term 'vibe'!: but for example at my yard- numerous horses who used to be very stressed have completely chilled out- my friends mare who she struggled to hack out alone years ago, will hack out on the common, she also used to pace when turned out, but now lives out in the summer.

Also- I know lots of people talk about horses being fresh in the spring- but recently my new forest pony and my knapstrupper mare, who are both normally very chilled, have been sprightly! My mare was a nutter to hack out a few days ago- jogging and bronking, when normally she is lazy! So I think july grass is making them silly!

Both have mine have absolutely lost it at the moment. I think it is to do with the hot weather and mega rain and the grass growing at a rate of knots! One is even more spooky than usual - other horses are her biggest demon at the moment - nightmare!

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
Thank you. I need to put my brave pants on and get stricter. I know I have been playing nicey nicey with him as he was new and I wanted him to get to know me but I must admit he does seem to respond well when I am firm with him.

I have had a new saddle fitted to him, I have had the farrier, I have had a physio (who said his pelvis was slightly out but no real issues and that was only a couple of days ago and he hasn't changed since then..). My instructor thinks he is lovely but that you have to be black and white with horses and I need to be firm and consistent at all times. Does this mean that it will always be this way or is this just whilst we build up a relationship and get going? I specifically wanted a horse that I could have my kids around, go for chilled out hacks in the country and generally be able to take anywhere on my own easily. (And that was the horse I thought I had bought!).

I don't really understand what you're asking. The simple answer is yes, you should be firm and consistent at all times. If you are, he will hopefully turn into the well behaved, take-anywhere horse that you want. Unless he is not actually quiet in nature and just seemed so in his last home due to being overworked/underfed. Even if that's the case, his behaviour should still improve.

Clodagh

Visit site
A gelding with 2 mates is a nightmare, quite often, he will want to be their partner, and by taking him away from them he is losing the security of the herd and worrying about what might happen in his absence. He may improve.

pippixox

Visit site

Having read your further posts- his past set up sounds just like my friends mare. She lived in a small yard with just 2 others. She had done low level events, but didn't have the buzz so they were selling her as a teenagers ride. She moved to my old yard, which was hardly big, 20 horses roughly, but some living out and mostly chilled happy hackers. certainly not a big busy competition yard.

She went a bit loopy! BUT only temporarily. She was overwhelmed by all the other horses, having lived with just 2. She was OK, to ride but certainly more on edge than she had been. But they managed to move her to the most quiet field- there were some up a track where there was less coming and going, and gave her time to get used to it.

it sounds like you are doing things right- you just need to try really really hard to relax! plus be firm- can't remember how old they are?

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
My advice would be to gently hack out your new horse as much as possible (nice 5 hour hacks) each day so that you get time to bond together, your horse gets to know the surrounding area and you both get used to each other.

One thing I believe works is if it is possible to hack your horse from it's old yard to your new yard as then they know exactly where they are and don't become so disorientated. (May sound mad but it works).

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Can you get a forage analysis done on your pasture? Might be worth checking to see if the grass is low in magnesium, if it is this will make a huge difference to his spookiness and anxiety. Low mag does definitely cause horses to become anxious and nervy, they cant help it. It affects some more than others but could explain a lot and definitely worth a try. If you cant get an analysis done you could try a decent mag supplement, it will start to work quickly if this is an underlying factor.

R2D2

Visit site
I think you've had a lot of good advice here. I would just like to add one thing. I wonder if you are expecting a bit too much too soon. I've found it takes a good year to really get to know a horse, and build up the mutual trust in all situations. It is still very early days. You don't know what to expect from him, and he doesn't know you well enough to take confidence from you if he is unsure. I would try to relax a bit, and give it some time. I reckon in a year you'll find you do have the horse you thought you did.

stormox

Visit site
My advice would be to gently hack out your new horse as much as possible (nice 5 hour hacks) each day so that you get time to bond together, your horse gets to know the surrounding area and you both get used to each other.

(May sound mad but it works).
Dont you think a 5 hour hack each day is rather time consuming? And not really fair on an unfit 6 year old? I would go for a 1-2 hour hack at most if you are hacking every day, with one day off a week, keeping a VERY good eye out for any tack rubs/soreness. But I agree hacking out is a great way to bond and get used to your horse.

Last edited: