New Yard! Help please !

Arzada

Visit site
We like hacking at the weekends which involves 2 ponies, 4 children taking turns, a toddler in a back pack and a few dogs.
263a.png

Any pearls of wisdom ?

Sorry no pearls of wisdom but wondering if you think that the narrow lane hacking from Yard 2, which is looking like your preferred yard, will work for your mixed group of hackers?

GSD Woman

Visit site
I say yard 2. If the children aren't having fun and have to be quiet and deal with uptight adults what is the point? If you move to the second yard and you end up not liking it can you move back.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Nope sorry yard 1 for me. Pony takes precedent and turnout is my number one priority when I look at yards.

As others say can you not box up to the other yard for lessons with friends/pony club etc.

Squeak

Visit site
I'm guessing there's not an option to swap between yards? Term time at current yard and holidays at yard 2?

Otherwise I'd try the pony on the routine it would be in on the new yard and see what happens. Ponies do need turnout but it will still get a bit of turnout and extra riding, attention etc will help. As someone else said some ponies really aren't that bothered by being out a bit less and it sounds like yard 2 will be a lot better for the children.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
You will always have some adults who put other liveries at unease. So clinics, shows, pony club is due to start again. I am sure if yard owner had an issue they would say so.
Scenario for you. It's the summer hols, the pony is ridden in the day, kids having a great time. What time would ponies get turned out and for how long?

andytiger

Visit site
Hi
yard 2 I would say children need another children to interact with and learn from each other and have fun
I know people say I’d rather have more turn out ect,but same ponies tend to be prone to lami if there is too much grass so bear that in mind.
I have been at a livery yard we’re there was one child,I don’t think she was enjoying her riding very much she had no one to have fun with And was thinking of giving up.
but she moved yards to a more child friendly and she loves it now she competes on pony club teams ect.
she can always move yards when she gets a bit older hope this helps.

Hero**

Visit site
Is it possible for your daughter to join the lessons and camps at yard 2 but continue to keep the pony in yard 1? I absolutely agree with everyone who says a huge part of the fun is being around other horsey kids. Or could you rent grazing for the pony somewhere else?

Jellymoon

Visit site
I am a huge fan of as much turnout as possible all year round and mine live out 24/7 most of the year, and just come in over night in winter. However, I also have kids, and they are important too, if there really aren’t any other options, I would try Option 2.
I would make sure that the pony had his 5/6 hrs turnout before the kids ride him wherever poss so he’s not too fresh and then the riding is extra time out of the stable. You could also graze him in hand, take him for walks etc, gets friends to do the same. You could look at sharing him a bit with the YO. If she’s a good and knowledgeable instructor he should be fine with diff kids on him.
Could you set up a little bit of outdoor turnout for him in some hard standing? Or maybe a pen off the stable or shelter? Can you chat to the YO about that?
Sounds like there are lots of kids up there with ponies all on the same routine, I would give it a go.

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
I’d stay at yard 1 and join pony club. Liveries move on and some children may arrive. Your children will only get older. if your children become competition riders it sounds a great yard to be at. Don’t overly tread on eggshells you are paying the same as others to be there...and we were all children once. If your children are polite and considerate that is more than enough. If any of the other liveries complain pitch your response in terms of “they get so much knowledge from being in a place with such experienced owners..” that sort of flattery works. ( I once had a yards most crabbit older rider take my daughter under her wing ..she would hack with her..not me mind). I wish you luck..it’s not easy trying to balance things.

honetpot

Visit site
I am going to be a grump here, having ponies should be fun, but being around ponies is not a play ground. Where I rode as a 12 year old, with different age riders, the farmers saying was, 'this is not a place for amusement', and this was a very basic farmers yard.
I kept my ponies at home and taught both my daughters to ride from the age of about four, children get bored quickly, and usually by the time you have been out 30-45 mins, they have had enough. They didn't normally ride with other children, and we spent a lot of time hacking and they did PC. At home we would spend about an hour five days a week doing something, and when they were older, and we were on a smarter livery yard it meant they kept out of yard politics, they did their horse and rode. They had friends at school, they just found all the coming and goings of girls of their own age, the often very, 'my ponies better, it can jump better, I have won XYZ', really pointless.
The turn out would bother me, ponies can get naughty really quickly, they have busy brains, 95% of their time is spent weighing up how they can get out of doing something, the last thing you want is a bored sharper pony.

Winters100

Visit site
Thank you everyone. Unfortunately there are no other options. I really have done my research and know the area really well and tapped into all my horsey contacts.

it’s such a shame yard 2 hasn’t got more grazing. I just know my daughter would have the time of her life their and the best pony childhood. But at the cost of her ponies fun and freedom.

We definitely do annoy liveries at yard 1. not all by any means. But There are a few who are clearly scared of their massive warmbloods and any undue noise sends them into spasms of ‘oooh my horse is so sensitive this will upset him’. Which roughly translates to ‘I’m scared of my horse and I can’t manage him when he’s fresh or might spook’.
they dont ever hack and just do loads of dressage in the school.
our children aren’t feral. But they do want the freedom to laugh and chat and giggle, and sometimes trot across the yard (it’s massive) or have a picnic on a sunny day without being huffed and pufffed at.
I do sympathise though as I specifically chose a child free yard before I had children.

You sound like a very reasonable fellow livery. Shame that some of the other owners can't see the benefit of a bit of noise and activity around their horses. I tend to take the view that they are not surrounded by quiet and calm when you go to compete, so the more they see at home the better.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
My yard used to be non children, mainly as that is the way it has gone over the years, child free. Then we get a mum and daughter move in, the next thing is loads kids mainly a kid yard.

The yard you are at could change if new liveries move in.
Competition yards are stressful for the non comp people and ponies, horses.

Turnout well at least there are some. Is there not an option 3 which may be further a filed but perfect???. To me worth the driving for a better option