New yard, horses legs stocking up

Chestnutter

Visit site
Moved my 15yo TB to a new yard a week ago.. he's been living out 24/7 for about 4 years and didn't do too well on it throughout the winter, but he's settled in well to the new place

He's spending a few hours a day standing in at the moment, which he seems pretty happy with and loves the new hay, but his back legs have filled quite a bit and he seems to be stocking up a bit (only on one hind leg tho - bit strange?) which is fine as he's getting worked every day and still goes out overnight/most of the day and he's not lame, basically just wondered whether he will get more used to spending time in the stable and stop stocking up so much as he gets used to spending more time in, as over the winter he'll be having to spend quite a bit more time in the stable/overnight etc so just wanted to know whether he's only doing it at the moment because it's a pretty drastic routine change/less constant movement in the field/new hay/grass etc?

legaldancer

Visit site
My elderly TB's hind legs filled up last year due to too much protein - basically I put him onto quite long grass in the summer and that was the result. I know they can get it from standing in though. This may not be relevant to your horse but thought it might be helpful. I gave him Epsom Salts in his feed and took him off the grass for a day or two and the swelling went down.

AdorableAlice

Visit site

Chestnutter

Visit site
The article answers your question really. Change of routine, older horse and rich new hay. A lot of older, possibly high mileage horses, will show signs of filling in the lower limbs when stood still.

I didn't know what stocking up meant either.

Was just wondering whether he'll get more used to standing in the more he does of it, or whether he will always stock up when stood in for even a little while, that's all :)

Dizzydancer

Visit site
My tb gets slightly filled legs in all 4 when bought in over night suddenly. In winter usually lasts for a week then it stops. They go down by time have walked over yard- he just must not move much in stable as no need- moving to bigger stable this winter to encourage movement.

Millie-Rose

Visit site
My old girl often goes through a period of this when they first start coming in at night in the Autumn. It seems to last a couple of weeks then stops happening unless stuck in stable for an extended period i.e bad snow. I put stable bandages on at night while she adjusts this seems to help.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Was just wondering whether he'll get more used to standing in the more he does of it, or whether he will always stock up when stood in for even a little while, that's all :)

No his legs will probably settle down once his body isn't reacting to new feed and a dramatic increase in standing around. It might pop back up if you have worked him particularly hard the day before, but it shouldn't be a permanent filling. As another poster has said - supplement his feed with salt.

Also - I've never heard of 'stocking up' either - is it american?

Chestnutter

Visit site
Awesome thanks guys, it's not really a problem as he's not uncomfortable in it or anything, just wondered!
And now you mention it it does sound very american, can't say for sure though, i've always just been told this is known as "stocking up" so i guess it's just habit!!

Auslander

Visit site
Alfs legs fill when he stands in in warm weather - I just ignore them and they go down.
I DID know what stockig up meant - but I am a bloody Colonial...

putasocinit

Visit site
Cut down on hard feed, you could give him some burdock root for a few days or purchase some cupiss, good stuff, makes them pee so reducing stocking up, very popular in the old days when racehorses spent all sunday in their stalls. Also put hay to back of stale and water to the frint to encourage move,ent in the box, or tie two nets in different places