New Yard - still very unsettled

Flibble

www.annamason-art.co.uk
I know it has only been 4 days properly but Drif just is not settling very well at new yard. He is on his toes all the time he gets roughly 6 hours a day in his paddock and is much calmer to Turn Out Bring In but.

He is quite chilled stood outside his stable but when I put him in his box he goes back and forwards from hay to door like a Yo Yo.

I lunged him today with the intention of Riding him after but as I took him into the lungeing area he exploded vertically and then steamed around flat out.

It took all my courage to bring him in to the middle to swap reins and even when I finished he was still Buzzy. I probably lunged him longer than I should but I wanted him to settle as I had promised myself I would at least sit on him.

So this is his diet :-

Stable Good Quality hay - lovely big crunchy stuff
Feed - He gets a teensy half mug of Fast Fibre just so I can mix in Pink Powders and NAF Magic

Paddock a small amount of grass coming through so I have been taking a bit of hay up to paddock and his breakfast which he is not eating.

So any ideas do I just brave it out until he settles ?

Echo Bravo

Visit site
I'd wouldn't worry too much, sounds like it's still new and he doesn't want to miss a moment, can you put his haynet at doorway, so he can see whats going on with out him having to go and forth. and as for the lunging he most probable needed to let off some steam. I get your self a glass of wine and relax. If you cann't put haynet at door, just put his hay on the floor, so he can see and munch at the same time.

Carefreegirl

Visit site
Its only four days, he's just picking up on your tension. Think of it as you starting a new job. It would take you a few weeks to suss everything out. Perhaps give him a week off or even a couple if you can to settle both your nerves, it sounds like you could end up getting hurt.

TicTac

Visit site
I agree, just give him time. All horses are different and some never seem to mind where they are but as long as you keep him to a routine that will help him to settle quicker and keep calm yourself.

quirky

Visit site
I'd guess that once you've gone, he settles in his stable.

Can you ask somebody what he is like when you're not around, or try and peep on him when he thinks you've gone?

As for his behaviour, I'd just sit that out for a bit.

Try not to stress!!!

That aside, do you like the yard and people?

bushbaby28

Visit site
As above, give him a few days. When I moved my boys I gave them a week off and even then took it easy for a few days more. Moving yards is not only stressful for the horse, its also stressful for you- new faces to meet and your constantly worrying about how they are coping :)

Relax, you'll both settle down. In the mean time just spend lots of calm time with him enjoying each others company.

Flibble

www.annamason-art.co.uk
I must admit I thought about swapping hay and water around I just feel a lot of angst that he feels so tense I am trying to do a lot of 'things' he is ued to like chilling out outside his stable and letting him watch me make his bed.

On the plus side the trek backwards and forwards to his paddock have helped me shed a few pounds - too may actually my jeans neraly fell down when I jogged across to the shop for cheese to go with the Oven Chip and wine banquet - it is great being older and not having to eat sensivly again.

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
Four days is absolutely nothing:D Don't fret, it will come good in the end! Keep him in a strict routine, so he knows whats going to happen next - that will reassure him. Don't expect too much, don't ask too much and eventually you will wonder what all the stressing was about!:D

Tilda

Visit site
If it makes you feel any better we moved the same day as you and my mare is still mental! Doesn't help that at the moment there are only 2 of them on the yard (others should be there in a week) and they are both making such a fuss when the other one goes out of sight!

I had a bit of a breakdown tonight as am so worried about my girl as she has just come off of box rest for a pulled tendon and doesn't have a huge amount of weight on her and all this stress can't be doing her much good. My friend gave me a good talking to as it has only been 4 days and there are slight improvements every day :)

I'm sure we'll all get there soon!

Chumsmum

Visit site
Hi

I'm another one who moved to a new yard last weekend and it's still all a bit weird - I went the wrong way tonight and was on the way to old yard by mistake lol.

I've got 4 ponies but, as I guessed, my younger newer pony is still unsettled but getting better everyday - I'm going to move his hay nearer the door so he doesn't have to take a mouthful and then dash back to the door every few seconds. He still worried by everything and he has his 3 friends there!

I'm going to ride him in the menage on Friday, I know he will be much better once he working again and has something to think about though will make sure that someone is about in case he decides to freak out in new home..

I'm sure all of our horses will settle down soon, weather rubbish too, I're sure they will all be more chilled out when the sun comes back..

I've been having takeaways and G&Ts since last Friday as too busy/stressed to cook/go shopping:)

Finns Mum

Visit site
Another one who moved last weekend, my boy is doing exactly the same with his hay but he is a nosy thing normally :rolleyes:

We have moved back to a yard we were at for nearly two years and he is still a bit unsettled by the move, so I am sure your boy will settle with time.

I don't know the weather you are having but it has suddenly got very cold and windy here and that is making a lot of the horses a bit jumpy so may not be helping him either.

jnb

Visit site
If he's going from hay to door perhaps put a tie ring by the door so he can eat and observe the yard at the same time? My cob loves doing that & it will cut down on the trekking back and forth?