newbie to sarcoids - fly repellants and rugs

JLG

Visit site
I've been following the sarcoid threads recently with interest and would appreciate some advice, hints and tips. Apologies this may be a bit long-winded.
I bought my TB gelding in January. He has a small sarcoid (I believe its nodular but it could be verrucous, it is 2 very small round lumps joined together, one slightly bigger than the other, approx 1cm across and 0.5cm high) on the back of his thigh. It isn't rubbed by leg straps or anything and only came to light when the previous owner clipped him for me and clipped a bit higher than before. The vet who did the vetting recommended treatment with Liverpool cream. The protocol came back as him needing 4 treatments with the cream. I fully intended to have it treated immediately but the cost of getting a new horse in the winter (needing a full wardrobe of rugs etc) meant that the treatment hasn't taken place. Now that the weather is getting warmer I don't want to start the treatment but I'm aware that I will have to keep the sarcoid well covered from flies. Having read some of the horror stories about treatments not working, going wrong and the pain involved, I am also now worried about having the treatment at all. I know that people have talked about treating them with toothpaste and so on but I'm not sure that I should be messing with this at all.
What do people recommend for good fly rugs and fly repellants? Is there anything I can safely apply to the actual sarcoid or do I risk aggravating it?
Many thanks.

PorkChop

Visit site
I have used the Liverpool cream on a horse with sarcoids, and it was absolutely fine.

Is there anyway that the horse could come in in the daytime to protect him from the flies?

JLG

Visit site
He is only out during the day at the moment for about 6 hours. It's not a problem yet, I'm just trying to plan ahead. In the better weather I aim to have him out overnight and he would be in from 7am until 7pm.

RachJ1994

New User
Visit site
Hello, if you have any concerns regarding the use of the "Liverpool Cream" (common name AW5) please look on Prof. Knottenbelt's new companies Facebook page as it has some before and after photographs. Personally I would have no issues in using the cream as the results it gives and long term prognosis are much better than leaving the sarcoid alone to ulcerate. Sarcoids can be spread by fly bites and the more sarcoids they have the more they tend to get. Definitely DO NOT use toothpaste or any other homeopathic method as these can make the condition much worse. The facebook page is Equine Medical Solutions Ltd. and the website is www.equinesarcoid.co.uk. You are much better to treat before the summer begins.

AnShanDan

Visit site
If the sarcoid is dry and covered in skin then I don't think there is a massive risk to leaving it until the autumn to be treated because flies are attracted to moisture.

The only personal experience I have of the liverpool cream is that it is 100% effective and no return after 5 years, and this was on a horse with 3 different types (one nodular, one verrucous and one occult). On my horse, the nodular one just dried up and dropped off within a few weeks, no horrible wound, the occult one was bigger, but again not a massive wound, the worse was actually the smallest looking (only about a small finger nail sized) on his outer thigh, even that only took maybe 8 weeks to fully heal. Struggle to see where they were now.

Edited to say it's actually been 5 years now :)

Last edited:

irish_only

Somewhere snowy in winter, lovely in summer
Visit site
I am a member on the Sarcoids sarcoids sarcoids page, and after battling on for 3 years, with vet help, I decided it just had to be sorted. My vets advised against the Liverpool cream as it can be very painful, and lasering one sarcoid was going to be approx. £800. So, I tried the black salve. Two weeks later, no pain or discomfort, it dropped out. I was absolutely stunned. You now can't see where it was.

Laika

Visit site
There are some salve barrier creams in them that will have citronella in them? Two birds one stone I guess. There are plenty of good sprays/gels too for that extra boost of protection.

JLG

Visit site
There are some salve barrier creams in them that will have citronella in them? Two birds one stone I guess. There are plenty of good sprays/gels too for that extra boost of protection.

So is it ok to put fly repellant actually on the sarcoid? I have been using the Leovet Phaser gel but just putting it all around the sarcoid but not on it. It is dry at the moment and I don't want to aggravate it.

Laika

Visit site
Salves are made for conditions like Sweet Itch/Mud Fever to provide protection from the elements. They can contain citronella (fly repellent) and have anti-bacterial agents. They're put onto irritated skin as a 'barrier' but I don't know your horse unfortunately so I can't say whether it would aggravate the sarcoid.

I'd definitely ask your vet for the best advice. They will know the horse better than any of us and can tell you if you are okay to use products for your horse. My vet will always give me a call back to give me a telephone interview if I need it. They may well provide you with their own cream. Sarcoids are really common, so they'll know exactly what sort of 'fly repellent' advice to give.

meleeka

Visit site
Is it an under the skin type or a warty type? Yellow summer fly cream is great to smear round the sarcoid but not actually on it. If it's under the skin flies shouldn't be a problem.

JLG

Visit site
Is it an under the skin type or a warty type? Yellow summer fly cream is great to smear round the sarcoid but not actually on it. If it's under the skin flies shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks, its a warty one which is why I was asking about putting stuff on it, or not.

sarahandwilby

Visit site
The yellow summer fly cream is very good, not on the sarcoid but you can smear it on around 1cm around it.

Please be aware that for every 6-12 months the sarcoid is there, it's root will approximately double in size, and every summer it is there you run the risk of it spreading/seeding more sarcoids which may only grow and become noticeable over the winter. Therefore if possible it is worth treating now, sooner rather than later.

Buddy'sMum

Visit site
So is it ok to put fly repellant actually on the sarcoid? I have been using the Leovet Phaser gel but just putting it all around the sarcoid but not on it. It is dry at the moment and I don't want to aggravate it.

I wouldn't put anything on the sarcoid, it might irritate it. Around it should be ok though. If it's a nodular sarcoid I would strongly recommend you LC it asap - my youngster had one that the vet saw within a couple of days of it appearing (it was tiny, a couple of mm diameter if that) and by the time he had his first LC cream application 8 weeks later it was about the size of a 5p in diameter. Grew scarily fast.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
I used toothpaste on an aggressive fibroblastic sarcoid on my mare 4 years ago. It dropped off after 10 days of application. I have fed her turmeric and linseed ever since as a daily supplement and she has had no reappearance of any sarcoids. You cannot see a mark or scar at the site of the old sarcoid. My vet was amazed.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
The FACT is that some sarcoids drop off - whatever you do to them! And we only hear about people who used toothpaste and other nonsensical treatments if it 'works' (when the sarcoids get bigger and spread despite toothpaste, owners don't admin to having used these 'treatments'!)

Flies spread sarcoids - that is a fact too! So leave a sarcoid alone and you will probably get more - on the horse with a sarcoid or on others who live in close proximity who do not have resistance.

Liverpool cream is good - though expensive. It's not particularly painful. I've just had a young horse in for backing and treatment of sarcoids with LC - did both alongside - no problems. But for my own, who only have small sarcoids because I zap them right away - we use cryosurgery - buy the liquid nitrogen over the counter in the chemist.