Newcomers Meet - What to expect?

peanutsmumma

Visit site
I am potentially looking to take my youngster to a Newcomers meet in a few weeks with the New Forest Hounds.
I've never taken part in anything like this before, and neither has he so I just wondered what to expect.

I have spoken to the secretary and she said that its nice and relaxed, you go at your own pace and there are lots of people on hand to help if needed.

I don't want o blow my boys brain but would think it would be great experience for both of us.

Any advice '/ tips appreciated :)

Jess1994PM

Visit site
Hey!
So i havent been with the new forest but i do know people that have been - ive been to a few other ones of different abilities and newcomer meets!
few tips i have learnt from them..
You will get the bug for it so be aware! ;) its super fun and dont worry - everyone is always friendly and helpful.
Just jump what you are comfortable with, sit back and id advise going behind something that will confidently jump so you can have a lead over. watch out for red ribbons in tails! (kickers)
if you dont know anyone, I just ask before the ride starts and guarantee someone will help you out.
just be courteous and aware of other rides and try to not cut anyone up going for the jumps, or overtake the lead person.
Just a personal one for me - id practice on ditches before you attempt them on rides just because horses are a bit unpredictable over them so you will feel safer doing it at your own pace but if you know they will jump go for it!
sit back over jumps and try not to ride them as you would over a normal jump (especially if you attempt some hedges)
Overall dont panic, dont feel you need to jump anything your not confident with and enjoy!

Kizzy2004

Visit site
NF newcomers have a slow and fast field.

We’ve just switched to bloodhounds so the pace is a little different but the slow group will be calmer.

people with Green collars are hunt club who will be happy to help with anything.

You’ll start at the meet (mounted) where the masters will do an introduction and let you know who the field masters are for the day.

pick which fieldmaster you’d like to follow and enjoy the day.

You’ll have a great time.

I’ll be on foot as lame pony but if you have any questions feel free to msg me.