Newish wow saddle and bucking problems

A1fie

Visit site
The horse I share got a new wow saddle 3 months ago. Prior to this she was in a wintec one. When she was measured for the new one the saddler noticed that she was very over developed on one side and so inflated one side more than the other as a temporary measure to try and address this.

In the beginning she felt a lot looser and freer in her movements although she did give a couple of little bucks now and then.

At the weekend I had a lesson and because someone was sharing the school we did all the lesson in half the school doing a lot of work on 20 metre circles. She has always found cantering on the right rein difficult and leads off on the wrong leg but my instructor kept me practising it. She was giving the odd little buck as she does generally when she goes into canter but then she gave 5 tremedous bucks and I fell off.

She has only started bucking since this new saddle arrived and i am wondering whether anyone else had had this problem with wow's. I'm sure it must be 100 times better than her previous saddle.

The owner is arranging for the saddler to come back out and check it and if necessary re-balance it better and my instructor doesn't think that she did it because she is in pain but I am really worried because most people generally say that bucking is associated with pain.

It's not my horse or else I would get the physio out. The saddler is also a physio but I am worried as to how far he will be able to investigate.

Has anyone else experienced this?

BigRed

Visit site
I think it is worth bearing in mind that not all horses like air filled saddles. It may not be a pain thing, rather than she doesn't like the feel of the saddle.

dozzie

Visit site
I had to have my wow altered several times in the first year. My wow fitter came back after 6 weeks and then again after 3 months. Following this I needed 4 monthly checks.

Now she goes between 6 and 8 months.

So yes it could be that the saddle needs adjusting again.

BTW my mare stopped bucking once she had the wow but will complain if it due for a check.

fiarmay

Visit site
I had one on a TB that was fitted and he hadn't bucked previously, but hated the wow and would not go an inch in canter just kept bucking. Perservered for couple of weeks then had to swap now in a devecoux and is fine.

A1fie

Visit site
Thanks for your replies. She really did seem more happy in her paces when she had it fitted so maybe it just needs re-adjusting. Saddler now booked so hopefully things will improve.

I just can't bear the thought of her being in pain although others have said that their horses are a bit frisky at the moment so maybe it's that. Really can't face being bucked off regulary, v painful and don't bounce!
grin.gif

catembi

Visit site
My horse has got a WOW & bucks... but he just likes bucking! It's adjusted regularly & he's seen the chiro recently. He bucks if he's either excited or if he doesn't want to do something & wants to test whether I mean it or not.

Maybe your horse was objecting to having to do something she finds hard?

Perhaps as a temp measure, put a martingale on so you've got a neck strap? I'm a lot braver with bucking if I've got my grab handle.

Let us know how you get on?

A1fie

Visit site
Thanks catembi maybe it was that she was just objecting but I really hope not. I'm not a very competant rider and and don't think I'm experienced enough to deal with it if it happens on a regular basis. I do have a neck strap by the way but whenever I need it I always forget to grab it!
grin.gif

kerilli

Visit site
as said above, some horses just do not like the feel of them. i'd definitely get it checked again and evened out. i'd get her back checked by a mctimoney chiro too if she struggles to canter one one particular rein, as that's not right. hope you're not too bruised!

MagicMo

Visit site
I have a Wow saddle and found that my horse's back changed shape quite quickly once he had it, so it needs re-checking regularly at the beginning.

A couple of my friends have found the same.

ann-jen

Visit site
My experience is similar to Dozziesmum. Jenny needed hers adjusting loads in the first year, then every 3 months or so and now maybe every 6-8 months.
Jenny was an out and out bucker until I got the WOW. The only time she bucks now is with pure high spirits!

Shantor1

Visit site
I haven't a wow saddle but for past 5 years have used a Bates GP on my 18hh horse. He's difficult to fit due to high withers and have decided with my saddler that his current saddle can no longer be adjusted, he needs a new one.

In the interim period whilst searching for a replacement, I've tried gel pads and foam pads which has resulted in him trying to buck. I've had his sheepskin numnah padded up with layers of foam/felt but think its too much as I feel I'm perched on his back and he's started to buck with meaning. So back to the saddler to have padding removed.

When I unsaddled my horse and checked his back he was clearly sore so am giving him a few days off before reverting back to his original pad. However, I'm careful I'm not going to create a habit so if necessary I may rough him off for a while until I've got him a new saddle.

My horse definitely reacted strongly to gel pads etc but totally happy with pure sheepskin. I think he didnt like the feel of it and assumed it must've felt like a clingy limpet to his pack which triggered his survival instincts to remove it (me included!!!) by bucking it off!

I think your horse is trying to tell you the same message. Have you a range of different saddle pads you could try with the saddler, you'll need to get them to fit the saddle with the relevant saddle pad your horse likes.

I've seen another thread regarding old fashioned serge panels and linen panels which is something I'm thinking of with my horse. These were all there was before these pads and numnahs and horses never seemed to have back problems like they do today, I think the cut of the saddles distributed the weight more evenly, seats were less deep but v uncomfortable for the rider. Mind you if you could manage a riding lesson in one without stirrups you soon learnt to develop a seat!

A1fie

Visit site
Thanks everyone for replying. Kerilli - I am really sore but NO bruises, which is a shame in a way because ordinarily when I fall off I bruise spectacularly which always gets me a certain amount of sympathy!! I do think it's odd that she's better on one rein than the other but her owner only really hacks with her so she hasn't been well schooled, has a really thick neck and doesn't bend well which I think is half the problem.

Shantor - it's really difficult for me to work out what message she is giving me. She is clearly telling me something as the bucks have meaning but I don't know whether she doesn't like the lessons as she finds it hard or is in pain.

Her owner spoke to the saddler who said that the saddle definately needs re-adjusting due to her behaviour so hopefully that will help. If not I will look into a McTimoney
chiro and suggest that the owner gets one.

Many thanks for all suggestions

flyingfeet

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I've seen another thread regarding old fashioned serge panels and linen panels which is something I'm thinking of with my horse. These were all there was before these pads and numnahs and horses never seemed to have back problems like they do today..

[/ QUOTE ]
They did have problems back then and more so than today. When I grew up every horse had a white patch on the withers from rubbing saddles. These are fortunately getting rarer today. Additionally girth galls and badly balanced riders were the norm!

Not saying that the serge panels are not good, but rose coloured views of the past aren't true.