Newly backed youngster, same day over again!

foxy1

Visit site
So I've had my 4 year old Welsh D backed about 3 weeks but can't seem to move forward with him.

Every day we go through our groundwork routine, he is a bit sharp/reactive, eventually he relaxes, I climb on and have a walk, small trot and leave it there as by then he has done a fair bit of work.
Thing is, I can't seem to move forward from here, feels like every day is the same like groundhog day!
Maybe these days I'm getting old and over cautious and I just need to push on? Or should I listen to my gut instinct and just stay where we are until he relaxes a bit more....? Thoughts welcome!

JustMe22

Visit site
Three weeks? I wouldn't worry in that case. There is little point trying to run before you can walk so if it were me, I would probably be trying to gradually shorten the groundwork session bit by bit.

If you want to change it up a bit I would probably try taking him out, even if on the long lines or in hand before ridden. Perhaps do some of your groundwork in a new setting. He can be introduced to new things and taught his job without over facing him.

Most of all though, don't rush it. Your horse has years to settle down and getting the basics right will lay the right foundations for the future. Rushing him at this point and turning riding into a stressful or bad experience might get you further along in the short term but will not pay dividends in the long term.

We backed two youngsters about a year ago. They were basically unhandled and spent the first 8 months or so doing lots of work on the lunge line with a rider, hacking out at walk and trot and then gradually throwing in an easy canter if everything was going well and there was a good, open space to do it in. They were very slow to progress initially but in the last six weeks or so both have gone from barely being able to canter in an arena in decent balance to working in group lessons involving plenty of flatwork and jumping around 70/80cm courses. They just needed time for everything to click. My TB on the other hand is the same age as these youngsters and came along in leaps and bounds the first six months but then seemed to hit a bit of a plateau so we backed off for a bit and kept things where he was comfortable. In fact, we even had to go back a few steps. He's now starting to hit a bit of an upward trajectory in his development again

It will come :)

Last edited:

Auslander

Visit site
I'd be perfectly happy with that three weeks backed. He'll let you know when he's ready to progress in his ridden work, and you can introduce new elements to the in hand work you're doing with him to keep things fresh.

foxy1

Visit site
Thank you both. I should have said that before backing he has done about 8 weeks groundwork and longreining all over the farm, through woods, even hopping over some logs and a ditch on the longreins.

Yes, you are both right, there is no need to rush. As he can be a bit anxious I really don't want to give him a scare.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Thank you both. I should have said that before backing he has done about 8 weeks groundwork and longreining all over the farm, through woods, even hopping over some logs and a ditch on the longreins.

Yes, you are both right, there is no need to rush. As he can be a bit anxious I really don't want to give him a scare.

Having just gone through 5 years of bringing up an anxious and huge Shire x, my advice is stay where you are until the anxiety has gone, then move on. If you rush and undo the previous work it is soul destroying for you and the horse.