Newly barefoot and exercise

Petmurf

Visit site
Hi all,

My boy is having his front shoes removed on Wednesday, he doesn’t have shoes on the backs, his diet is good and he’s looking wonderful.

My question is how do I start off with exercise? we currently hack most mornings for about 35/40 mins on roads but to get to the road we have to go up a long driveway which is full of gravel/small stones etc, there is grass verges but we can’t ride on those so do I just continue as normal or walk him in hand to the end of the drive way then get on? Do I stick with the 35/40 minutes or do I shorten the hacks and gradually build up again?

TIA

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Unless you want to be stuck forever in boots the feet will need exposure to the surfaces you intend to ride on. If you don't want to cut your ride short, you can put boots on and take them off for parts of the ride . Avoid really stony surfaces to start with, just introduce challenges slowly after he has coped with the last one successfully. 10 minutes on tarmac is a good place to start.

Petmurf

Visit site
Unless you want to be stuck forever in boots the feet will need exposure to the surfaces you intend to ride on. If you don't want to cut your ride short, you can put boots on and take them off for parts of the ride . Avoid really stony surfaces to start with, just introduce challenges slowly after he has coped with the last one successfully. 10 minutes on tarmac is a good place to start.
Thank you. That was my plan, Little and often exposure to different surfaces then gradually build up, boots only if really needed. So I can hand walk him up the drive way on the grass verge then 10 min tarmac and so on.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I have a stony track to get out to the hacking routes and I just get off if they struggle when it's particularly bad, I also use hoof armour really great stuff and it really helps both of my horses when the ground is dry and stony.

I tried boots for a while on one of mine but he kept tripping so I just got off and led him at the start I don't have to get off so much now, my other horse was fine but I don't hack him so much so he coped fine.

Petmurf

Visit site
I have a stony track to get out to the hacking routes and I just get off if they struggle when it's particularly bad, I also use hoof armour really great stuff and it really helps both of my horses when the ground is dry and stony.

I tried boots for a while on one of mine but he kept tripping so I just got off and led him at the start I don't have to get off so much now, my other horse was fine but I don't hack him so much so he coped fine.
Thanks, I’ve been looking at hoof amour so will get some just in case.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Yes, unless the horse has particularly poor foot conformation and really needs boots with pads in as part of the rehab of the foot you are probably better to start without boots. He will be ouchy on stones if newly barefoot, so lead down the stoney drive and try to keep to grass if possible. If he really struggles then consider some sort of boot that is easy to put on and off.

Foot growth is slower than muscle growth, so it takes time for the feet to keep up with the exercise. Tarmac is good, but if they stand on a stone they will go "ow." Take it slowly, but consistency is important.

Of course, you horse might be absolutely fine from the word go.

Petmurf

Visit site
Yes, unless the horse has particularly poor foot conformation and really needs boots with pads in as part of the rehab of the foot you are probably better to start without boots. He will be ouchy on stones if newly barefoot, so lead down the stoney drive and try to keep to grass if possible. If he really struggles then consider some sort of boot that is easy to put on and off.

Foot growth is slower than muscle growth, so it takes time for the feet to keep up with the exercise. Tarmac is good, but if they stand on a stone they will go "ow." Take it slowly, but consistency is important.

Of course, you horse might be absolutely fine from the word go.
Thank you for your advice.

Highmileagecob

Visit site
Something like Cavallo Treks are easy to fit and easy on and off. They can be quite a generous fit, so a size 1 baby's nappy is useful as a sock - slip the toe into the fold and wrap the nappy round the hoof. This will also encourage your horse to weight the feet properly and get the frog and heels working as nature intended. Good luck!

Petmurf

Visit site
Afternoon

Shoes off today, Farrier said he has low weak heels but I said I would still give it a go so tomorrow we’ll start our little and often surface exposure 🤞🤞🤞🤞

Widgeon

Visit site
When I took hinds off, I walked my horse down the rubbly drive and got on once we got to the tarmac. That way he could go slowly, choose where to put his feet, and didn't have my extra weight on him. Seemed to work.

Petmurf

Visit site
When I took hinds off, I walked my horse down the rubbly drive and got on once we got to the tarmac. That way he could go slowly, choose where to put his feet, and didn't have my extra weight on him. Seemed to work.
Yes that’s my plan as well, we have a long uphill stony driveway with grass verges so I’ll walk him up there and he can decide where he wants to walk and then get on at the top on the tarmac.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
"The Barefoot Horse Owners Group UK" is a really helpful group for anyone with a barefoot horse, or considering it. There is plenty of good knowledgeable advice on there.

You may need boots, certainly initially.

I would advise you reach out to the Hoof Boutique who will be able to advise you and possibly help you with sizings. I'm a bit biased in suggesting them as a friend works for them and I know she will do her very best to advise you well re boots. With your first set of boots however, be aware that your horse's feet will quickly change shape as you transition through barefoot, and the boots that fit now may very well not be a good fit in say 6 months time. For this reason I'd counsel you to lurk on some of the second-hand/used sites such as Hoof Boot Exchange (but be wary of scammers).