newmarket joint supplement- any good?

Marnie

Visit site
My mare is on it and has been for about 2 years. I've had 2 vets (one in Devon and one here in Essex) who have told me that it is the best value of its type. As to how good it is - I couldn't tell you for sure, but my mare is still sound! She was given it conjunction with having her fetlock injected for lameness issues and I have just kept her on it.

monstermunch

Visit site
I think it depends what kind of joint supplement you want. As far as i'm aware New Markets doesn't contain chondroitin. The more compounds it has the better as long as it is in the right dosage. The three main compounds you need to look for are glucosamine, MSM, and chondroitin.
My horses physio said that any joint supplement is good as long as it is high strength. She said just to remember 10, 10, 5 as a rough guide. That means 10g glucosamine, 10g MSM, 5g chondroitin daily for your horse.
The only triple one she reccomended was Riaflex as it is the highest dose.
I think New Market is pretty good for the double supplement though i.e glucosamine and MSM
smile.gif

Marnie

Visit site
I think that the Newmarket joint supplement is only glucosamine - http://www.newmarketpremixes.com/joint.htm.

There was some work that said that glucosamine was the effective ingredient in joint supplements (can't remember full details, it was something that my vets told me) and its uptake can be affected by other things in the supplements such as chondroitin. That was 2 or 3 years ago though, so whether it still holds true.......!

monstermunch

Visit site
I have also heard that chondroitin can have some sort of effect like this, you would have to look it up as I guess all supplememnts have there pro's and cons. Glucosamine is something most people rave about on my yard though so this is definately good!

monstermunch

Visit site
uhhh...
confused.gif
I can assure you I'm not Healthy if thats what your getting at. They are from my yard and we use the same physio if that clarifies anything!

emma_lg

Visit site
I have had my 18 year old mare on it for two years...she has arthritis in her lower hock joints. It was the one recommended by my vet as it is the purest form of glucosamine (99.9%) which is what my mare needed. She cannot go without it and it works brill for her. It is very good...only get it from a vet - they deliver it to me...lasts for a good few months. I also give her cider vinegar.

Perissa

Visit site
My horse has been on it since June when he had a shoulder operation to removed a lesion. I also give him MSM, my vet told me that there is no point in feeding chondroitin as the molecules are too big to be absorbed by the gut and pass straight through.

KE123

Visit site
Hi, Bill used to use New Markets product and it seemed to be ok for a while. But after about 6 months the old problems started coming back, he was unhappy that we couldn't hack out as much as we used to and was obviously in quite a lot of pain. So back on the Bute (worse luck). Then I recently found pernamax from www.Maxavita.com and it is a green shell mussel supplement that has had great results on Bill. He's sound and we're back to hacking about 3 or 4 times a week. I have sent a few responses re this company but I am very pleased with the results and I would recommend to anyone with a horse with arthritic pain and/or inflammation of the joints.