Newmarket Town Plate 1950's

cundlegreen

Visit site
There are only two racecourses in Newmarket, the July, and the Rowley mile. you are probably thinking of the links gallops on the other side of the road. I rode in the Town plate in the 80's, when it was open to amateurs of both sexes, but you couldn't ride in the race unless you had worked for a trainer or permit holder, and they had to state that you were of a sufficient standard to take place. You went down the July course for about 2 furlongs, then through a gate to the back of the National Stud where we started. We raced for 3 and 3/4 miles carrying 12 stone, and came all the way round right handed, including right up close to the A14. there was an incident a few years later, where a TV presenter had a go at it, and fell off, and wasn't too happy about it! It was a long way, and you had to be fit. those were the days! In my race, there were a couple of Anglo arabs took part.

SpringArising

Visit site
That was so fun to watch. I'm in Newmarket a lot so it was interesting to see what it looked like then.

CG is right though, there's only two courses.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
That was so fun to watch. I'm in Newmarket a lot so it was interesting to see what it looked like then.

CG is right though, there's only two courses.

Well, when I was at the National Stud they claimed that their part of the course meant there are three altogether, sorry should have said three. I got mixed up 'cos in 1961 it was four miles!
The new museum and the new gallery are now open ....... both deserve a two hour visit, and there is a fine bistro plus a shop :)

Last edited:

SpringArising

Visit site
Well, when I was at the National Stud they claimed that their part of the course meant there are three altogether, sorry should have said three. I got mixed up 'cos in 1961 it was four miles!
The new museum and the new gallery are now open ....... both deserve a two hour visit, and there is a fine bistro plus a shop :)

And a fantastic tack shop :wink3:

Spilletta

Visit site
Very interesting video and subsequent posts :)

Sometimes wish I could get hold of those old-fashioned breeches and a yellow jumper to ride out in!

Thank you for posting this.

Eta: visited the museum last year before the work was finished and am looking forward for a chance to visit the new one. Ashamed that I can't remember the name of the wonderful chap who oversaw my go on the simulator but he was great. His dad has a road in Newmarket named after him and it's on the tip of my tongue...

Last edited:

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Very interesting video and subsequent posts :)

Sometimes wish I could get hold of those old-fashioned breeches and a yellow jumper to ride out in!

Thank you for posting this.

Eta: visited the museum last year before the work was finished and am looking forward for a chance to visit the new one. Ashamed that I can't remember the name of the wonderful chap who oversaw my go on the simulator but he was great. His dad has a road in Newmarket named after him and it's on the tip of my tongue...

Was it Alfie, who beat Sir Gordon Richards in a close finish ....... he had me on the simulator [which bucks] and showed me the Newmarket style of holding the reins.
Sadly Alfie passed away, gone but not forgotten.

popsdosh

Visit site
There is indeed a third course in Newmarket( The round course) the one used for the Town plate however it is not official as its not under rules . Back in history there were at least another 10 courses which were in use and indeed a national hunt course at the Links. Most of which covered parts of the now official courses of which there are two.

Last edited:

Spilletta

Visit site
Was it Alfie, who beat Sir Gordon Richards in a close finish ....... he had me on the simulator [which bucks] and showed me the Newmarket style of holding the reins.
Sadly Alfie passed away, gone but not forgotten.

Having done a quick internet search to remind myself, I can tell you it was John Snaith. Willie Snaith Road is named after his father.

Whilst Willie had a successful career as a jockey, John’s racing days were sadly cut short aged 28 by a horrible fall in the 1983 Topham. He didn’t mention that at all during our visit, but I read an extract from the book “Warriors on Horseback” by John Carter. This link should take you to chapter 1 of the book where it weaves the stories of Willie and John: https://issuu.com/bloomsburypublishing/docs/warriors_on_horseback

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Having done a quick internet search to remind myself, I can tell you it was John Snaith. Willie Snaith Road is named after his father.

Whilst Willie had a successful career as a jockey, John’s racing days were sadly cut short aged 28 by a horrible fall in the 1983 Topham. He didn’t mention that at all during our visit, but I read an extract from the book “Warriors on Horseback” by John Carter. This link should take you to chapter 1 of the book where it weaves the stories of Willie and John: https://issuu.com/bloomsburypublishing/docs/warriors_on_horseback

Thanks for the update and for the link, I am going to read it in snatches, as it is a book to be savoured. Chock full of the flavour of the game.