News presenter stops horse

teapot

Visit site
Think you'll find she knew what she was doing, rather just being an idiot - she's Ryan Moore's sister

Visit site
I dare say she has had worse tankings in her life off of horses than the one she got there but she's probably never done it in a dress before 😂😂😂 if they didn't get the horse caught it would have done another circuit which would have delayed racing even more. At a jumps meeting the fences wardens would make an attempt to catch a horse that has stopped or slowed down by their fence but there are no such things at flat meetings just a few ground stompers. They don't expect loose horses on the flat.

fburton

Visit site
Good lord, I'd want the horse to be moving a wee bit slower before getting hold of the reins! It was a good save, but it could have been done more safely.

Way back in the late 1970s or early 80s, I caught a couple of loose horses on Hereford racecourse, wearing sandals. I knew what I was doing, although the equestrian equivalent of H&S would have kittens about that these days, quite rightly.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I couldn't decide if it was brave or daft, and injury could have delayed racin an awful lot more than another lap done by the horse.

the reactions of the two blokes in the studio did make me chuckle, I think they were hoping it wouldn't be expected of them.

Bradsmum

Visit site
Not sure why she needed to check that the camera was on her though :eek: it was a good save but as someone else said if it hadn't gone well, racing could have been cancelled for the day!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I think it was sheer idiocy.

What was the point, the horse would have stopped eventually?

She was extremely lucky that she didn't dislocate her shoulder or elbow or get whiplash from being dragged, not to mention the other injuries she could have got from being so daft.

popsdosh

Visit site
Her grandad would be very proud! She will have grabbed a few like that in her life it was made to look worse as she either slipped or stumbled .

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Her grandad would be very proud! She will have grabbed a few like that in her life it was made to look worse as she either slipped or stumbled .

He dragged her of her feet because of the speed he was going!!!

popsdosh

Visit site
I think it was sheer idiocy.

What was the point, the horse would have stopped eventually?

She was extremely lucky that she didn't dislocate her shoulder or elbow or get whiplash from being dragged, not to mention the other injuries she could have got from being so daft.

Of course it would! On the other hand she may just have stopped somebody else getting injured who was not so aware of the danger and potentially the horse injuring itself if it panicked as its vision was partially compromised. Guess some can make judgement calls on the spot ,as it turned out right decision!

Visit site
The horse wasn't actually going that fast and was stopping when she grabbed it. She isn't daft. If was going quicker she would have just waved it down to try to slow it. I'm sure she would also have let go if the horse panicked and got faster again.

The video clip that is dividing a national - clever catch or sheer idiocy - YOU decide!

popsdosh

Visit site
The horse wasn't actually going that fast and was stopping when she grabbed it. She isn't daft. If was going quicker she would have just waved it down to try to slow it. I'm sure she would also have let go if the horse panicked and got faster again.

The video clip that is dividing a national - clever catch or sheer idiocy - YOU decide!

The horse was slowing and as you say not exactly in panic mode . If you look carefully frame by frame she was falling before she grabbed the reins which bares out what I heard .

Snowfilly

Visit site
Bloody good catch. His visor was slipping and he could have ended up running blind. Lovely that she got his saddle off as well, and as lots of people have said, she's probably had worse experiences!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Well done her.

I did a similar save recently at a training day, but I was more suitably attired so I stayed on my feet. This horse wasn't going that fast when she stopped it, but it could still have gone on to do all sorts of damage to itself and others.

Respect :).

{97702}

Visit site
I have only seen it once on Facebook but I just thought what a complete idiot - there was no reason to put herself at risk like that, she was bloody luck not to get trodden on, regardless of her experience/speed of the horse etc

Bearing in mind I say that having been right royally trodden on last Monday, so have spectacular bruising, haematoma, wound yah-di-yah-di-yah. It is a pain in the arse (or rather arm!) and hurts.....

{97702}

Visit site
Good lord, I'd want the horse to be moving a wee bit slower before getting hold of the reins! It was a good save, but it could have been done more safely.

Way back in the late 1970s or early 80s, I caught a couple of loose horses on Hereford racecourse, wearing sandals. I knew what I was doing, although the equestrian equivalent of H&S would have kittens about that these days, quite rightly.

Please reassure us that you weren't also wearing socks? :p :) :)

ozpoz

Visit site
I love how her horsewoman's instincts took over there. I thought she was daft when I saw it this morning, but when I read the actual chain of events and watched it again I saw how concerned she was for the horse, which had been running in a blind panic. Well done her!

BBP

Visit site
I did the same thing at Burghley some years back when a horse I used to groom for came galloping back up the course the wrong way without my friend. It wasn’t really a conscious decision, I just saw him coming my way and saw that the crossing stewards had the strings pulled across the track so leapt out. I called him and he slowed, but it was at the trout hatchery and the crowd was huge and his adrenaline was up, I got my fingers on the reins but then good sense kicked in as he accelerated, and I let go. Plenty of people in the crowd called me an idiot and they were right! I then ran all the way back to the main arena and got hold of him there.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I've caught loose horses a few times - there is a knack, she's to be commended for stopping the horse. Could she have been stepped on? Yes, of course, but she wasn't, was she? If things had got hairy she could also have let go.

{97702}

Visit site
I've caught loose horses a few times - there is a knack, she's to be commended for stopping the horse. Could she have been stepped on? Yes, of course, but she wasn't, was she? If things had got hairy she could also have let go.

Hmmm yes. we have that answer for incidents at work where there have been major safety breaches 'well yes, it was a major near miss but no-one was injured, so surely that is mitigation'....... ohhhh, so you want us to wait until someone is seriously injured or (god forbid!) dies before we take action? Sorry, it will never work for me.