News story about rider kicked in the head after a fall

rachi20x

Visit site
It also says she's been riding four years and trained him herself... Not sure I would have ever wanted to take that on with four years (probs less as she must have had him a little while) experience. But that's just me.

And yes I thought that kick was deliberate too.

melbiswas

Visit site
I agree that looks like a deliberate kick to me.

Why jump on frozen ground? It makes you question knowledge, supervision etc.

It has made me think. There have been plenty of jumping mad teenagers I have watched endlessly jumping long suffering horses and wished the horses could protest. Not any more seeing this!

Lolo

Visit site
I previously stuck up for this pony, but I watched it again today and he LOOKED at her, apused and then kicked at her. It wasn't what I originally saw which was a spooked pony legging it- he looked for her.

blue89

Visit site
It also says she's been riding four years and trained him herself... Not sure I would have ever wanted to take that on with four years (probs less as she must have had him a little while) experience. But that's just me.

And yes I thought that kick was deliberate too.

I agree, also I wouldn't be riding in the snow asking a horse to jump without a saddle but that's just me, she also said in the article she rarely wore a riding hat!!!
I thought the kick was deliberate as well.

blue89

Visit site
I agree, also I wouldn't be riding in the snow asking a horse to jump without a saddle but that's just me, she also said in the article she rarely wore a riding hat!!!
I thought the kick was deliberate as well.

Just saw this ......
'I don't believe for a second that Luke would have ever meant to have hurt me. I've owned him for two years and we have an amazing bond.

the horse is currently 8, so he was broken is at 6, she was riding and jumping is an open frozen field with no saddle,,,, does make you question knowledge. But thankfully she wasn't worse off.

eggs

Visit site
Many years ago there was a known kicker at the riding school I went to. It always took a couple of adults to get the rider on board as the pony would often try to kick them. I once saw some one fall off him and he deliberately backed up and kicked the rider who was still on the ground.

Shantara

Visit site
I've seen so many horses (on youtube, not in real life!) kick out like that and it's my one of my worst fears when I fall. *touchwood* Ned hasn't had any inclination to kick or even run when I've fallen off, but I do worry about flying hooves!
Poor girl, hopefully it'll never happen again!

RosieMorton

New User
Visit site
Right, I'm Rosie. The one that got kicked. I just ave a few things to clear up here.
I did not brake Luke in myself at the age of 6.
He was already broken in when I bought him, I only brought him on. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIVUN_u5eis
Here's a video of me and Luke. And for thos of you saying he should be put to sleep. You should be ashamed of yourselves! You can never predict a horse. You will never know what really happened that day, NEITHER WILL I! I will never know if Luke actually did it on purpose or not, I don't tend to give up on Luke. People don't give horses a second chance. Yes they are big and powerful animals! I don't disagree there. But when I say I don't believe Luke ever ment to hurt me! I do believe that. If you watch the video I posted here, you will see that he is normally such a loving kind horse. I could never ever do anything to hurt him. And for the ground issues, It was not frozen... It was a little snowy but It wasnt hard stuff, it was wet! Not to wet... I would never ever cause any risk to this horse. Nobody knows how much he means to me. And I do not care what you all say about this comment. I have been told 'i deserve to die' 'i deserved it'.. And it's all getting ridiclous now! Everybody is changing the little details and making it sound as if it was all my fault. The jump was less than a foot high. He could of easily walked over it! Something spoked him so he ran to the side. So I slipped off the side. And I always wear a hat whilst riding! Tere have been a few times were I havn't but not many! I'd say about 5.

FionaM12

Visit site
Rosie, where on this thread has anyone said he should be put to sleep? :confused:

Edited to add that no-one says he should be pts on the other thread about the Youtube clip either. So not sure who you're talking to.

I hope you're making a good recovery btw. :)

Last edited:

JoannaC

Visit site
Just ignore the hurtful comments Rosie, it's impossible to judge a pony form one short clip of a one off incident. Looks like you are having great fun with him and clearly enjoying him to the full. When we were kids we played all day with our ponies and probably pee'd them off frequently but they were fine and we had lots of fun which sadly a lot of today's generation have missed out on so it's great to see that people do still have fun with their ponies. It was clearly a freak accident but does remind us that we do need to take certain care when around animals.

siennamum

Visit site
Rosie I think the problem is that he's fed up with you falling off him. You are repeatedly on the deck in that video and he looks like he's getting unhappy about it. As a parent I find it really worrying, you don't have the relationship you think you do with him, he is peed off and would like less tricks and more respect IMO.

Camel

Visit site
Nasty injury, hope it doesn't leave to much of a scar. How did the Daily Mail get hold of the story?

You say you have only 'not worn a hat about 5 times' well in your video you've just posted, there are 4 occasions that you were hatless! ;) ... your head, you choice and all that but I'm sure someones life (parents?) would be ruined if your were brown bread!

I love your pony and although there is an element of me that wants to say stop ragging it around, theres a bigger element of me that remembers being a teenager and doing exactly the same sort of thing!

Keep healing!

xx

fatpiggy

Visit site
Sorry love, but while we all think our horses are perfect, kind souls, 40 years experience of horses tells me your pony went out of his way to turn round and aim his kick very precisely. You were incredibly lucky and you should learn a very serious lesson from it. I knew someone who was jumping their horse and it was refusing so he gave it a good leathering. The horse then decked him, cantered around the arena and came back and jumped fair and square directly on him. They are perfectly capable of thinking for themselves and just deciding they have had enough and will indulge in a spot of revenge. Arabs are particulary intelligent, more so than many of their riders and need sometimes quite different handling to other breeds. Moral of the day is 1. ALWAYS where a properly fitted, done up hard hat, 2. respect your pony, he isn't a machine, 3. don't jump in frozen conditions. Even a sand school will freeze. Next time you might not be so lucky.

Shantara

Visit site
I hope you're ok Rosie and watching your video, you look like you're just having fun! You're braver than me and you look like you have a fab little horse there, looks like a welshie I used to ride!

Glad you came on to defend yourself, so many people must have no idea they've been talked about on here!

Dizzleton

Visit site
Not meaning this to sound nasty in any way, but the horse looks more of a trick pony that a well schooled and educated riding pony. You are hatless in a lot of the video clips, even galloping / jumping bareback. Your pony looks a little peeved to being ragged around hence the bronking, refusing and misbehaviour and I expect he does it as you fall off quite easily, which he has learnt.

Yes, while every horse does have it's bad days most do not look at a fallen rider then lash-out with that type of precision. I'm not saying I know you or your pony, but after 18 years of riding, from riding schools through to teaching and owning my own horses; the kick looked very deliberate.

I really would suggest always wearing a hat and not teaching the pony to rear.

Mongoose11

Visit site
Can someone provide an alternative link to the video that Rosie has posted or perhaps her YouTube username? I can't view it on my iPad with the link provided.

Rosie, you need to have your wits about you on this forum, this may become a rough ride (no pun intended).

Dizzleton

Visit site
Can someone provide an alternative link to the video that Rosie has posted or perhaps her YouTube username? I can't view it on my iPad with the link provided.

Rosie, you need to have your wits about you on this forum, this may become a rough ride (no pun intended).

Here you go Billie: RedDeviland Rosie

A lot of her videos are of her falling off or just messing around with her pony. I don't see any serious work and/or schooling being done. I may be wrong, but he looks more of a game than a partnership.

GrumpyHero

Visit site
I think you're stupid for riding without a hat (on a few occasions in the video, bareback aswell!)

I don't mean that in an aggressive way but really, you fall off a few times in your video, its an utterly stupid move to get on that horse and canter round a field bareback with no hat or safety wear.

LollyDolly

Visit site
Rosie I think the problem is that he's fed up with you falling off him. You are repeatedly on the deck in that video and he looks like he's getting unhappy about it. As a parent I find it really worrying, you don't have the relationship you think you do with him, he is peed off and would like less tricks and more respect IMO.

This.

I love your pony and although there is an element of me that wants to say stop ragging it around, theres a bigger element of me that remembers being a teenager and doing exactly the same sort of thing!

You say this, but I had a 6 year old when I was 15, sold him as a 9 year old and I never once ragged him round, I won three dressage championships on him. I don't think that being young is an excuse for riding like that :confused:

Not meaning this to sound nasty in any way, but the horse looks more of a trick pony that a well schooled and educated riding pony. You are hatless in a lot of the video clips, even galloping / jumping bareback. Your pony looks a little peeved to being ragged around hence the bronking, refusing and misbehaviour and I expect he does it as you fall off quite easily, which he has learnt.

Yes, while every horse does have it's bad days most do not look at a fallen rider then lash-out with that type of precision. I'm not saying I know you or your pony, but after 18 years of riding, from riding schools through to teaching and owning my own horses; the kick looked very deliberate.

I really would suggest always wearing a hat and not teaching the pony to rear.

This.

A lot of her videos are of her falling off or just messing around with her pony. I don't see any serious work and/or schooling being done. I may be wrong, but he looks more of a game than a partnership.

And this.

Sorry but you say that you have an amazing bond with him, sorry but judging by the videos you don't. Aside from him kicking you in the head, in just watching the videos it's clear to see that he is unhappy and fed up.

That isn't an amazing bond.

Mongoose11

Visit site
Pony looks genuinely fed up with you in a lot of your video. Looks fed up of being ragged around and made to go fast for the camera while you get the shots you wanted. It doesn't seem like you are up for doing anything properly for the horse or you. Stop bareback jumping until you actually have some balance.

There is a lot to like about your riding but a whole lot to dislike too. Rosie - you ARE very lucky to be alive and I do think he pelted you out of frustration.

You clearly love him - a lot. Stop treating him like a trickster or a toy - really no need to stand up on his back is there? Unless you plan on him joining a stunt team anytime soon? Choose a discipline and perfect it - get him working correctly and you will be the envy of many. Sod the friends of yours that just hammer their ponies - they're idiots.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hackie

Visit site
Agree with fatpiggy's three points.

Why anyone would jump in dangerous conditions, or without a hat, is beyond me. You only get one head.

ETA: Also, sorry to be judgemental but I don't agree with people treating their horses like toys, or machines, mostly because its a an accident waiting to happen.

Last edited:

Suechoccy

Visit site
Horses are unpredictable creatures. If we hat, saddle, body protector, etc, and only ever ride in 20m BHS circles on a lunge line in an enclosed indoor arena for our riding, we can all still have accidents.

Rosie, you are on the edge with the riding/tricks you are doing and you're doing loads of different activities with him too so the risk for your injury is higher.

Crap happens sometimes and you just have to accept it as part of the risk, deal with it, learn from it and continue to enjoy your ned and move forwards.

He's a talented little horse and you have a good seat and balance as a rider.

I hope you heal very soon. The scar will heal neatly as the face has a good blood supply so it won't notice after a few months.

Enjoy your pony!

Hedgewitch13

Visit site
Like I said on the other thread that looks like one unhappy, peed off pony and he was letting you know, the only way it could, to leave him alone. Maybe you should listen to your pony a bit more, he could have been having an off day, like we all do...

redriverrock

Visit site
As the mother of kids...not quite this old I can sort of see both sides...PLEASE WEAR A HAT and keep having FUN, I have watched the you tube video and yes alot of what I saw did worry me but not because she wasnt schooling him and doing 'serious' work but more because the rider did hit the deck quite alot!
I actively encourage both my kids to have maximum respect for the horses they are riding, no pulling on there mouths etc and 'showing off' . I do think though that it is really important to remember to have fun...just not at the expense of the horse you are riding.
As for the kick, it was most def' deliberate I have no doubt of that so something in the horses head is going wrong in that split second when instinct over 'training' takes over. My guess would be that the rider falling off may be quite painful on his back or neck and it was a reaction to that. My horses are all well behaved and laid back but Im not sure how often they would put up with that before they did the same.