Nexguard Spectra complete treatment worms ticks fleas

elizabeth1

Visit site
This might have been done to death already but what are your views on Nexguard Spectra?
We are in a high risk area for lungworm and have masses of ticks too so currently my dogs -elderly terrier and 2 year old German shepherd-wear Seresto collars and i use Milbemax monthly from the vet.
My vet has now changed policy to use Nexguard Spectra monthly with Droncit for tapeworm every 3 months ,which initially looks more convenient.One tablet,no collar. But so much more expensive . I am also concerned about potential side effects. At least if the Seresto collar has side effects it can be removed instantly.and Milbemax is long proven .Are these tablets safe or am I Better to carry on with Seresto and Milbemax.
Or am I overdosing everything! We always use to treat fleas ticks as and when seen.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I would be concerned about side-effects too. I use the Seresto collars and with a collar you have the reassurance that you can whip it off if there is a problem...... but a pill?? Nope, I wouldn't be keen on that TBH.

Plus the fact of it being much more expensive. That would be a "bitter pill" to swallow........ literally!

I've always found the Seresto collars do the job; classic question I know: but if it ain't broke then hey why go fixing it??

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
If it helps, my two have been on this for probably 2 years now. Not had any side effects. One eats hers like a treat. the other is deeply suspicious and I have to break it up and hide it in bits of pate or something equally strong and tasty.

satinbaze

Visit site
Mine are on nexguard spectra and no problems encountered. Tiva reacts to advocate so can’t havd that but no problems with nexguard.

rara007

Visit site
I use it sometimes and it works out pretty comparable price wise too. Milbemax will be approx £5 a month so for 8 months the collar will be about £35 + 40 on milbemax = 9.37 a month
Nexgard spectra = approx £25 for 3 months worth + droncit once at about 3.50 = 9.50 a month. That’s assuming approx 20kg dog as mine is!

I don’t like the collars of the seresto for purely cosmetic snobby reasons!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I use Nexgaurd, and have for four years with no ill effects. I use it monthly in the summer, less so in winter.

Aru

Visit site
I hand out nexgard like candy where I am-in the thousands of doses at this point if you include the petshop my last clinic is linked with.This group of meds help prevents the Australian paralysis tick which has a toxin that reliably kills dogs so its probably the biggest selling product in Australia for parasite prevention. We kept having it run out and go on backorder during the summer it first was launched here.
I have only ever seen mild reactions-vomiting and diarrhoea, passed within 24 hours and never had to treat one so far. It cannot however be given to a dog with epilepsy. Its like any meds its a risk analysis for rare side effect versus benefit of preventing the diseases it helps with.
Personally I use spectra monthly for my girl as its got the best coverage of the class and its been produced the longest so we have an idea on what to expect side effects wise.
Tapeworm risk is very low on spectra. The most common way to get tapeworm is from fleas and it kills them. Unless they are high risk for flea infestations,eating cat or other predetor poo or small creatures(the less common way to pick it up) they often dont need extra worming.

Aru

Visit site
For the seresto collar to work it has to be skin tight with very little wiggle room and if its applied correctly have seen a decent amount of hairless from them including on my own cat. Appears to work quite well for fleas. Mixed reviews for ticks which makes it unrecommendable where I am.

elizabeth1

Visit site
Thank you that is interesting
Will discuss fully with vet when annual Vaccinations are due in October as I still have 4 months of Milbemax left to use.
In the meantime the collars do seem to work on ticks here and price is much lower now they can be bought online.

wren123

Visit site
I use nexgard spectra and find it effective with no side effects, I treat from April to November inclusive as per vet instructions, he says it's unnecessary all year round. My vet says to do tapeworm six monthly.