next bit up from a Wilkie snaffle?

Visit site
hi everyone, I'm looking for a new bit which is stronger than a Wilkie snaffle and about medium strength please if anyone knows of anything? only reason for asking is I'm not wanting to go down the route of buying a gag unless there is nothing else that suits, thankyou!

Lintel

Visit site
I'd be more inclined towards a gag than a wilkie as your can change the severity of the bit. I'm sure others can make good suggestions though- NS seem to get a great name at the minute but I'm too tight to buy a bit of that price haha!

WelshD

Visit site
A kimblewick (a slotted one would give you options) with a leather or elastic curb chain would be my choice

It has become unfashionable but was quite often the 'go to' bit for a stronger pony when I was a kid and its a very under rated bit IMHO

honetpot

Visit site
hi everyone, I'm looking for a new bit which is stronger than a Wilkie snaffle and about medium strength please if anyone knows of anything? only reason for asking is I'm not wanting to go down the route of buying a gag unless there is nothing else that suits, thankyou!
A wilkie is a bit with a curb action, so it acts as a lever and forces the head down. A three ring gag is also a curb bit but if you use it on the top ring it acts as a snaffle and then add a extra rein to a lower ring and it gives you a curb action, but of course with out the curb chain.
Just make sure your horse is not running through the shoulder or locking their jaw to get away from the poll pressure.
A kimblewick also has a mild curb action, poll pressure and the added curb chain, it can just be enough to make them listen but not boil over. I do like pelhams because their are so many variations, ridden with two reins and starting off with a leather curb chain.
I do not like wilkies as they make the pony flex their neck but do not encourage the rider to make the hind legs go under, so the animal ends up with a set neck and a dead mouth.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
A kimblewick (a slotted one would give you options) with a leather or elastic curb chain would be my choice

It has become unfashionable but was quite often the 'go to' bit for a stronger pony when I was a kid and its a very under rated bit IMHO

You just wrote my exact post for me! Agree with all the above.

abbijay

Visit site
just had a look at the ns universal and it seems perfect but a little pricey, so currently looking for a cheaper alternative

I have yet to understand how a "Universal" bit is any different from a "dutch gag" and although very popular I think are frequently less useful than a true gag.
Please do not be misled by the term "wilkie snaffle" that is in common parlance - it is most definitely not a snaffle in action.

acorn92x

Visit site
Jeffries precision bit is pretty similar to the universal

I use this on my strong cob when hacking and it's fantastic. Exactly the same as the NS Universal I borrowed from a friend. It has the same mouth piece as a tranz angled lozenge which my girl loves. Highly recommend and a fraction of the cost (I paid about £35 for mine).

Jenni&Ditty

Visit site
I can't really say I'm a fan of dutch gags either, because I think too many people underestimate their strength, but I ride my mare in one with roundings between the snaffle ring and the one below it, and she goes nicely. I think that's probably around the same strength/perhaps a tiny bit more then a wilkie