Next breed of dog……

SkylarkAscending

Visit site
I typed a ‘typical of me, self deprecating “funny” first line’ then changed my mind….

So all I can say is that I miss George more than I have ever missed any dog in my life. He was my soul mate, my whole life, my everything. I only have 2 dogs now, I can barely remember the last time I only had 2 dogs….

So I know I’ll start looking for my next dog at some point, I cannot decide what breed to go for!

Options are only JRT, whippet or greyhound….I've had them all and they each have their pros and cons.

I’m conscious that I run the risk of unwittingly looking to try and replicate George because I adored him so much. I still have 2 JRTs (Colin and Flora) who I love 1000%, they are not like George in any way, but that’s my main reason for looking at something other than a JRT. Oh and the fact they are noisy, confrontational aggressige little horrors 🙄

Whippets are just so whippety ❤️❤️❤️ but I work full time so said dog would be left a couple of days when I have to go to the office (WFH 3 days a week)

Greyhounds are just sublime but not sure of the greyhound/terrier mix?

I’d ideally like a rescue but I know from previous experience that Colin is a typical terrier male - it’s “his” house and he tries to be the big macho lad despite all my training from when he was 12 weeks old. I don’t think George was a great role model for Colin 🙄🤣🤣 So sadly it might have to be a pup for acceptance reasons

Jenko109

Visit site
You would struggle to find a greyhound puppy?

I don't think a whippet would appreciate being left all day on the work days.

I don't know enough about JRT's but I would assume any puppy would struggle being left for a long duration for a fair number of months.

ArklePig

Visit site
Sorry about George :(

How old are your other JRTs? I'd be inclined to go for another so that they all had similar exercise needs-less brain work for you if they all have similar needs. I don't know much about whippets but I believe they can be prone to separation anxiety.

Would you be able to have some check in on pup until they are confident enough to be left alone?

SkylarkAscending

Visit site
Oh sorry yes I should have said that - on the days I’m in the office my dog sitter comes in twice at the moment but could do more if I were to get a pup. I’d ask for at least 3 visits in an 8 hour period, maybe more.

Current dogs are 3 1/2 and 3 respectively….

I’ve seen a fair few greyhound pups via the rescue organisations, obviously as not as many as ex-racers but they are there ❤️

lizziebell

Visit site
How about an Italian Greyhound?
I have two Italians. Not for the faint hearted. They are nothing like whippets or greyhounds, they are devils in disguise and will try and break themselves at every possible moment as all items of furniture must be part of a parkour course and to be tackled as fast as possible !

SkylarkAscending

Visit site
I have two Italians. Not for the faint hearted. They are nothing like whippets or greyhounds, they are devils in disguise and will try and break themselves at every possible moment as all items of furniture must be part of a parkour course and to be tackled as fast as possible !

They sound just like JRTs in a different shape 🤣🤣

MurphysMinder

Visit site
As I’ve already said elsewhere , whippet all the way . As you rightly say I think a terrier/greyhound mix might be problematic , as maybe would bringing another terrier in . H’s little whippet sometimes stays at home , with at least one maybe 2 visits . She occasionally throws a tantrum and wrecks something 🙄but is usually fine .

SkylarkAscending

Visit site
As I’ve already said elsewhere , whippet all the way . As you rightly say I think a terrier/greyhound mix might be problematic , as maybe would bringing another terrier in . H’s little whippet sometimes stays at home , with at least one maybe 2 visits . She occasionally throws a tantrum and wrecks something 🙄but is usually fine .

If there was ever a whippet to persuade me, it would be her - I’ve wanted a blue ever since I saw Sh Ch Martinsell Wild and Lonely when I was a teenager! Such a very long time ago now 😳

SkylarkAscending

Visit site
What about a Bedlington Terrier? Admittedly I know nothing about them other than I'd love a Bedlington x Whippet Lurcher one day, but I met a pure Bedlington recently and he was so lovely!
I have to admit I contacted a couple of Beddie breeders a few years ago because I’d thought of one - then George came along unexpectedly ❤️

gryff

Visit site
Though not ideal, my whippet-lurchers are more than happy to be by themselves when I'm at work. They sleep all day whether I'm here or not and I have absolutely no qualms in leaving them. They have a walk before I leave and another when I come home. I'd go for a whippet-greyhound puppy. After 3 JRTs when I was a teenager, I'd never go back to having a terrier.

SkylarkAscending

Visit site
Though not ideal, my whippet-lurchers are more than happy to be by themselves when I'm at work. They sleep all day whether I'm here or not and I have absolutely no qualms in leaving them. They have a walk before I leave and another when I come home. I'd go for a whippet-greyhound puppy. After 3 JRTs when I was a teenager, I'd never go back to having a terrier.
But terriers come when they are called 😱😱🤣🤣 After 25 years of whippets/lurchers/greyhounds that all naffed off into the distance as soon as they saw a rustling leaf, I cannot believe I can call my terriers back even if they encounter a deer! ❤️

SkylarkAscending

Visit site
If I didn’t already have my black lurcher I would love one of those, I looked specifically for a black dog puppy as I love black dogs… I don’t understand why most people don’t want them

I asked for a black greyhound boy last time for specifically that reason - I too can’t understand why they aren’t more popular, they are beautiful ❤️

SkylarkAscending

Visit site
This post just popped up on my fb after I read your thread …

I’ve already been sent that exact link on Facebook- my JRTs are from Scotland and the daughter of their breeders sent it to me 😃❤️❤️

Spotherisk

Visit site
You need a whippetty thing. Mine has an eighth of greyhound and an eighth of Bedlington in him too so would tick all your boxes, and the right colour! You can leave him home alone very happily, in fact he’d quite like never to get up before 10am. The only issue is that people think cute whippetty thing,then the Bedlington surfaces and reacts.

Attachments

• IMG_8321.jpeg
    IMG_8321.jpeg
    110.9 KB · Views: 27

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Mine is 3/4 whippet and bedlington, border collie . Although he has the 2 terriers for company he is not happy if I go out, even if it’s just for 15mins… he is more clingy than any of my other lurchers and I thought it was because he had more whippet in him than my others. Who knows but I think he is gorgeous

Attachments

• IMG_2431.jpeg
    IMG_2431.jpeg
    67.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2244 Copy.jpeg
    IMG_2244 Copy.jpeg
    14.2 KB · Views: 18

SkylarkAscending

Visit site
I must admit I always am surprised when people say whippets have separation anxiety, I worked full time when I had mine so they were used to being left. Obviously Mum looked after them during the day when they were young (you had puppies at 8 weeks old in those days!) but once they were a few months old they were happy with each other for company. I do wonder if my recollection is correct mind you, I got my first whippet when I was 17 - **cough** years ago 😱

leflynn

Visit site
Don't get a greyhound puppy they can be a nightmare, I'd for a failed younger racer with no chase and then you're less likely to get one that wants to chase terriers lol! or a whippet, more of a fan of sighthounds than terriers (had both). My greys have always lived on their own and never had a problem leaving them

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
This lurcher is the first one I’ve had that is unhappy if I go out. I still go as I can’t be with him 24 hours so he has had to put up with it. The difference is that I don’t go out every day as I don’t have a horse , I think that might be why my previous lurchers didn’t have a problem. I used to be out for 3 hours every day and they were used to that from puppyhood. Now I only go out once a week shopping and the occasional visit to friends , so it’s more difficult