Next Winter

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
I wish there was a way to know what next winter will bring. Have read on a previous post that it is to do with the jet stream, which has given us the summer we’ve had, but if it stays as it is, then winter will be bad.

As I’ve posted on here before, Mac came out of winter very poor. He is doing well right now, is on half a prascend a day although bloods show negative for cushings. He has put on some weight, and internally is a healthy horse, albeit, the vet thinks he’s around 30. I have her coming out in October for a pre winter MOT, and feel I will need to make a decision then about whether to call it a day for him. I just wish I knew what the winter will bring. He’s happy in himself, still the boss of the other 2, and although still slim, no where near as poor as he was before. He definitely doesn’t have any excess fat though.

This was taken a couple of weeks ago before we had decent rain and the grass started growing again.

vNtqLfJ.jpg

HashRouge

Visit site
I'm quite nervous about winter too. It was a really, really hard one for my old mare and although I love my yard, I'm looking at moving somewhere else with more land and the possibility of stables if it's really bad. Very cold would be fine, it was the fact it was so wet!

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
My friend has just had her 32 yr old mare pts.
This summer has been hard on her, she is a poor doer, and was already loosing weight and on her winter feed. Could no longer eat hay and it wasnt fair to put hrr through another winter.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
He looks so much better now, doesn't he? It's not an easy call to make - let him go soon when he is feeling well in himself, or risk him going downhill fast in a bad winter if you keep him going.

I've got a similar decision to make with my senior mare. It's very hard.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
We lost our oldie on Thursday. Looking ahead now, if we have another winter like last year it's a blessing as he was getting stiffer and needing more feed.

What's his current weight! It maybe useful to start keeping a record so you can assess him.

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
Thanks everyone. I’m getting emotional quite a bit thinking about him for the last few weeks, so I think deep down, I know what is going to happen. It’s just so hard because he is happy, and if I do it in October and we have a mild winter, I know I’ll regret it. I also definitely don’t want to be forced to do it come jan/Feb when winter really kicks in and he starts to struggle.

PF, that’s a good idea, and will start using the tape each weekend and see how’s hws doing. Thank you.

scats

Visit site
I really feel for you as I’m in a very similar situation with Diva, except it’s next spring I am dreading and I’m seriously wondering if it’s worth doing another winter when I know the inevitable is going to come next year. I am struggling to manage her during the summer, May and June in particular are getting worse every year and everything is working against us now, particularly with her having now done a soft tissue injury behind.

It’s so hard. Hugs x

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Anyone with an older horse has to start having these kinds of conversations with themselves. I'm weighing up whether it'll be one or both of our elderly gentlemen that'll go before the worst of the weather. After last winter I don't want to put either them or myself through that kind of sodden, miserable slog again.

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
It’s so horrible when they get old isn’t it? I have a 25yo too, also with cushings, and of course I worry about her, but she’s sound as a pound, possibly slightly on the heavier side than I’d like (she came out of winter a bit light), so I’m not concerned about her really going into winter.

Whatever happens with mac, 4 years ago he was given one last summer and retired as his arthritis was really starting to show. Ringbone and hocks diagnosed 15 years ago. Wasn’t sure how he’d take to retirement, loved his hacking and fun rides, but he really has thrived until recently. He owes me nothing, and I hope he’s enjoyed his time as a lawnmower and boss.

turkana

Visit site
I had my oldie put down last October, she hadn't had a good previous winter & it was mild.
I still miss her every day but it was one of the best decisions I have made, as it was a hard winter and she would have suffered.
She was fit well and happy and her last day was a happy one, I'm so glad that I was able to do that for her. It's such a personal decision but I wouldn't hesitate to do the same thing again and I have no regrets.

JJS

Visit site
It is hard. Sixpence has struggled with his weight the last two winters, but in every other way he's incredibly fit and healthy. His PPID is well managed, he has no mobility issues, and he always seems happy with his lot. I know in my heart that he's not ready to go anywhere yet, so I've been proactive and got an action plan in place already. I know exactly what I'll be feeding him, how I'll keep his calories up, and have a plan B and C if plan A doesn't help as much as I hope. It's always hard to know what to do with the very old ones, but I think that so long as you go with your gut, you'll inevitably do right by them.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Whilst it is sensible to think about these things before they happen I don’t see the need to make these decisions months in advance just in case the Horse may or may not go downhill. You can arrange euthanasia and disposal very quickly and personally I’d just take each day as it comes, you will know very clearly when it’s the right time.

Sandstone1

Visit site
Whilst it is sensible to think about these things before they happen I don’t see the need to make these decisions months in advance just in case the Horse may or may not go downhill. You can arrange euthanasia and disposal very quickly and personally I’d just take each day as it comes, you will know very clearly when it’s the right time.

Absolutely, while its a good idea to have a plan for when the time comes I see no need to think about having a old healthy horse pts due to the possibility of a bad winter. It is still only August.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I think that it's better to have the 'what if's' lined up when you have an oldie or compromised horse. Then you're unlikely to let things run on too long, which is sadly what happens too often IMHO.

Definitely better a month too soon rather than a day too late.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
The only animal involved in these decisions which knows or cares that an old horse could have had another day, week, month or year of life is the owner. The horse doesn't know or care.

OP, I sorry you are facing this, but for me your horse is already too thin to think of putting him through even a mild winter, especially with his weight loss last time. You've been recommended weigh taping, but they are pretty useless once you have hollows under the tape on the sides of the spine because they can't measure the increase in the depth of the hollows.

Better a month too soon than a day too late.

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
Thanks everyone. I’m sure I am probably overthinking right now. My friends old boy was PTS a few weeks ago, he had a lot of issues going on though including early stage kidney failure, and seeing how brave Em was doing the right thing before he went downhill has made me start to think. Even through last winter, Mac was still happy. He had full bloods run earlier this year, and his liver, kidneys etc are all really good. His biggest problem is his teeth, or lack of to be more precise. His half a pink a pill a day seems to be working, and vet did say as he doesn’t seem to “test” positive for cushings, she’s happy for me to medicate on symptoms alone, so can increase the meds should I feel the need. He did shed his coat really well once meds started, and has a lovely summer coat. He was putting on weight steadily too until the heatwave hit. I will continue with what we’re doing and try to increase his hard feed, and see how he looks when vet comes back. I think I’d feel a hell of a lot happier if I could just get some good weight on him. Unfortunately, he’s never been overly interested in feed when he’s got decent grass.

ETA, we must have posted at the same time YCBM. I agree, he is too thin. I won’t let him suffer, of that I am certain. I think October is the right time to make a decision, should still be nice weather wise.

Last edited: