NFU reply to my Queries...RE EIA..

Nailed

Visit site
Dear Louise,
Thank you for your email, forwarded by Mutual Direct concerning SwampFever. Under the terms of the Loss of Animal section of the NFU MutualHorse policy there is an exclusion which states;

'We will not pay if an animal insured: is destroyed on the order of any government or local authority or underany scheme rules relating to the destruction of a specific disease'

Unfortunately therefore, should a claim be submitted for the euthanasia of an animal insured which has been euthanased due to Swamp Fever it would bedeclined in accordance with the above exclusion I hope this clarifies the situation for you but should you have any queries please do not hesitate to contact us or visit the DEFRA website wherefurther information is provided.

Kind Regards Susan Jones BSc ACIIEquine Claims Executive

So we aint insured theres the answer..
smirk.gif

Lou x

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I presume there would be some sort of government compensation, but guess that would just be meat value.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the equivalent of £1 in France and Spain.........
blush.gif

Nailed

Visit site
Its a shame aint it.. 'we've shot your horse.. youve paid for removal and now heres a pound.. jsut to help you out'

Maybe I wont bother uping what Cate is insured for..

Lou x

ladyt25

Visit site
Don't think it's really the insurance companies fault as you can imagine if the government instructed 'x' number of horses to be culled to stop the spread of the disease why should insurance payout? Not all horses would NEED to be destroyed due to the disease but it would be required by Defra.

Therefore that's where the compensation should come from. Don't think insurers should be expected to fork out the money certainly not when the introduction of these horses could ahve been prevented in the first place! Owners should be compensation by those responsible for not ensuring proper import legislation was in place.

I think it's disgusting that the compensation is £1 as horses aren't seen as a 'livelihood'.
frown.gif

MagicMelon

Visit site
Oh my god, thats horrifying. I'm with NFU and my horses insurance includes loss of horse. Cant believe they wouldn't pay out... How's that fair? Surely if the horse must be put down for whatever reason they should pay out?! Pretty annoyed I'm paying £100 a month to NOT be covered for something like this.

ladyt25

Visit site
It's general policy wording I'm afraid. Doesn't mean to say I agree with it and, in fact i think it should only apply in cases where horses haven't been affected or weren't cases for immediate euthanasia on humane grounds but who the government instructed to be PTS to stop the spread of the disease.

In that case I think the government should compensate owners - as they did farmers with unaffected livestock during F&M. Where a horse is visibly very ill though due to the disease and needs to be destroyed on humane grounds I personally think insurers should pay as that horse was suffering.

Still, I am a mere underwriter and I doubt they'd listen to my view point!

alsxx

Visit site
I can imagine its the same across all insurers, and as much as I don't agree with it, I'm not surprised.

Its the £1 compensation thing that really annoys me....how is it fair to compensate someone £1 for an animal worth £10k for example. Madness.