Nick Gauntlett

glamourpuss

Visit site
Nick has posted, very graciously, on Twitter that the owner of Grand Manoeuvre has decided to give the ride to Laura Collett.

Another horse he has produced beautifully from the very start of it's career to be lost once he gets it around it's first 4*!
I think the situation with Chilli Morning people could understand but to happen again (& if I might be so bold to suggest an 'intriguing' choice of replacement rider ;) ) must be bloody galling.
I have my own theory regarding what has happened ;) but I'm interested in what others think about this? (P.s I am suggesting that everyone is mindful of HHO terms, conditions yadda, yadda, yadda...but happy to exchange gossipy PM's ;) )

Nicnac

Visit site
Nick is very gracious and I am gutted for him. Not sure what your theory is but agree with the 'intriguing' choice!

avthechav

Visit site
Yet another reason why I couldn't be a professional rider! Have been to stay at chescombe twice for clinics and the whole team have just seemed dedicated and professional. They seem to really care for their horses and Nicks reaction to jumping round badders was demonstrative of that. I know it's a business and you do the job knowing that this can happen, I know that it's part of it and happens to many riders but it must be bloody heartbreaking when you have worked with a horse and got it to a point where you are starting to think that this really is your next top horse and then all over and start again..... Whatever the situation and however professional a set up that has got to hurt. I feel sorry for nick :-(

popsdosh

Visit site
There is always two sides to any situation. No owner moves their horse for no reason and certainly not if they are happy with the way their horse is going. Dont forget they pay the bills whatever Nick has put in has been paid for and believe me they will have done.

Last edited:

Rosiefan

Visit site
Disappointing for Nick, exciting for Laura. I'm sure we'll never know why the owners have decided to move their horse and it's none of our business but we can't help being inquisitive, it's human nature!

Bestdogdash

Visit site
There is always two sides to any situation. No owner moves their horse for no reason and certainly not if they are happy with the way their horse is going. Dont forget they pay the bills whatever Nick has put in has been paid for and believe me they will have done.

Agree with PD here. Ultimately the owner has paid for the production of the horse and are entitled to move on if they so wish. Nick has been very professional in wishing all concerned luck so sweetly, whatever disappointment he may be feeling. Unlike, if memory serves me, Laura C, who failed to disguise her feelings about old owners and new riders when one of her horses was moved.

Well done NG, I hope he gets another opportunity to ride 4* soon.

LittleOwl

Visit site
I love NG as a rider, he seems to treat his horses so well. I remember watching him have a terrible ride through the water at burnham market a few years ago (not sure whether it was him or the horse who got it wrong but it looked rather scruffy) and once through he gave his horse a massive pat and said "sorry boy" and I was massively impressed from there on. Cant say anything for what he's like as a person but its a shame he's lost another 4* ride and he seemed very gracious on twitter