Nick Skelton says he will NOT go to WEG

Puppy

Visit site
After Arko's refusal in the King George V cup.
frown.gif

Nick took a nasty fall, and Arko took off round the ring without his bridle.

They interviewed him minutes after on Sky Sports 3 and Nick said that he will NOT be going to Archen now. He seemed very adament about it too!
frown.gif

As a big Arko fan I'm gutted!!
frown.gif

Puppy

Visit site
Both Nick and Derek Ricketts have now said, that despite thorough vet checks, they suspect that pain, or at least discomfort are the reason for Arko's lack of form.

seza

Visit site
How disappointing for Nick and the Hales. Arko is a world class horse and there just aren't too many of those around. It's also tragic for the GBR team as Arko on form is awesome and the team will be weaker for his loss.

TURBOBERT

Visit site
Maybe he is just sick of jumping large fences - I am always amazed that show jumpers are prepared to be stretched to their limit time after time - maybe he could do with a break and we should just accept that.

Faithkat

Visit site
I was at Hickstead today and saw Nick's fall. He went a hell of a wallop onto the fence poles and it must have really hurt. Given the fact that he's not really supposed tobe riding after breaking his neck, I'm not surprised he's not going to the WEG. He's going to be pretty sore and stiff for a while, I should think.

Puppy

Visit site
I do agree with you. I'm often amazed at how these horses keep going with the amount of jumping that they do. Having owned a horse who was an amazing jumper, but very sensitive to his work regime, I came to realise that the best for him was to pretty much only ever jump him at competitions, and very very rarely at home - as a result, once I accepted this, he was able to maintain his sparkle and we were much more successful in our later years competing. Therefore, I do believe,, with some horses, that "less is more" as they say.

However, as I understood it, Nick and Arko had been saved for today's competition and had been rested for that exact reason.
confused.gif

I'm just really sad that they are having such a bad time - as I don't think many people could disagree that he is an amazingly determind rider, and one of the most talented horses we've seen in years, when he has his day! Very sad they aren't on form
frown.gif