Nightmare situation. Recurrent impaction/pelvic issues

Poppy2003

Visit site
This is the most recent down turn in what has been an awful 8 weeks with my youngster. He’s been colicking nearly every day for the last few days whilst on rehab livery for what we believed to be a soft tissue injury to his pelvis/back area. He wasn’t hugely lame, more just not tracking up. He went in for a lameness work up and a week of intense physio was prescribed. Nearly every day the emergency vet has had to come out and clear a partial impaction. He was admitted to hospital yesterday and then on to a bigger equine hospital. They have discovered a ‘mass’ just past arms reach. More investigation tomorrow but first thoughts are maybe a bone mass from a pelvic fracture or potentially some sort of growth or abscess. He also doesn’t appear to be feeling his bladder and is struggling to pass wee. He has a catheter at present. They think a possible pelvic fracture with some nerve damage.
I actually asked they put him to sleep earlier as it just not coping with all this at the moment, however they felt I was getting ahead of myself. He’s only 4 year old.
what is the outcome of these sorts of injuries? How do they stop the potential bone mass obstruction?
I’m all over the place. He was sold subject to a vetting

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
Have you got someone to help you and provide support?

Have they scanned the area yet? It could still be a couple of things, such as a slightly strangulated hernia or the fracture or a mass.

Operations can be very successful in treating this and as he is young would make a good recovery.

I would let the vets identify the issue first then talk through your options with them.

Poppy2003

Visit site
Have you got someone to help you and provide support?

Have they scanned the area yet? It could still be a couple of things, such as a slightly strangulated hernia or the fracture or a mass.

Operations can be very successful in treating this and as he is young would make a good recovery.

I would let the vets identify the issue first then talk through your options with them.

thank you yes I do. I just appreciate writing it down to other horsey folk. The last 2 months have been extremely stressful thru no fault of his or mine and I was just trying to do the right thing for him as I don’t have time for a youngster in reality. He was perfect when he left my farm to go to schooling livery to be sold and it’s just descended into a nightmare.
He was showing some signs of hind limb lameness hence why they think it’s a pelvic injury.

shortstuff99

Visit site
thank you yes I do. I just appreciate writing it down to other horsey folk. The last 2 months have been extremely stressful thru no fault of his or mine and I was just trying to do the right thing for him as I don’t have time for a youngster in reality. He was perfect when he left my farm to go to schooling livery to be sold and it’s just descended into a nightmare.
He was showing some signs of hind limb lameness hence why they think it’s a pelvic injury.
The training yard didn't mention any falls or anything? If it helps my old pony had a pelvic fracture as a yearling and was sound until his 30's, just was a little wonky!

Poppy2003

Visit site
The training yard didn't mention any falls or anything? If it helps my old pony had a pelvic fracture as a yearling and was sound until his 30's, just was a little wonky!

it originally started when they said he picked up a cut on his hind pastern when he was loose jumping. The next day he was lame on it. Vet had a look and thought it was just a cut and it would improve over a week. To give me and the buyer peace of mind I had the cut area scanned and x rayed. All fine. The purchase vetting was pushed back a couple weeks and He was turned away at my request to rest.
He was then brought back in for the vetting and trotted up lame on the opposite leg to the cut (which wasn’t visible anymore) although the lameness appeared higher up like pelvic area. That’s when he went to the vet for a work up. I’m struggling to see how the events are connected unless he’s maybe fallen when loose jumped??

shortstuff99

Visit site
it originally started when they said he picked up a cut on his hind pastern when he was loose jumping. The next day he was lame on it. Vet had a look and thought it was just a cut and it would improve over a week. To give me and the buyer peace of mind I had the cut area scanned and x rayed. All fine. The purchase vetting was pushed back a couple weeks and He was turned away at my request to rest.
He was then brought back in for the vetting and trotted up lame on the opposite leg to the cut (which wasn’t visible anymore) although the lameness appeared higher up like pelvic area. That’s when he went to the vet for a work up. I’m struggling to see how the events are connected unless he’s maybe fallen when loose jumped??
Yes I'm wondering if he has fallen loose jumping (which is how he also cut himself).

Orangehorse

Visit site
So you didn't see what caused the leg injury? I'm afraid that it sounds as though he had a fall where he got a cut on his leg, but also injured his pelvis at the same time, but this wasn't obvious at first. How many times do we see a horse fall, but they get up and look completely fine and walk away sound. Sometimes it can be a bit of time before an injury becomes obvious, and maybe further work can make the original injury worse.

Sorry, OP, that doesn't really help you with the horse as it is now. You must think that he is in the right place right now, but I think you need to really find out what is happened to him. Poor boy, what a shame for him and you.

Poppy2003

Visit site
I physically wasn’t present no, he was on schooling/sales livery.
the vet was mildly positive today and thought I was jumping the gun when I asked about PTS (which maybe in hindsight I was given they are still doing investigation) but I’m struggling to see what would be best for him. He’s only 4. Such a long life ahead of him as potentially a non ridden horse/not quite right.
The bit i find quite upsetting is he does not appear to be feeling when he bladder is full possibly due to nerve damage. The day of the cut/potential injury was about 6 weeks ago. Quite a long time ?

Asha

Visit site
I hope all goes well today. I agree with PB, you need a chat with the sales livery. Although be prepared for them to refuse to admit anything happened. I never understand why, as we all know accidents can and do happen. It happened to one of mine, so i have an inkling of how you feel. Hopefully the results comes back clear and you can take him home to relax. Good luck,

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I am so sorry for your loss. I know how heartbreaking it is to lose a young horse. Please do try to take comfort from the fact that none of your, or any-one else's actions had any bearing on his illness and that you did your very best by him to the end.

Poppy2003

Visit site
Thank you everyone ❤️ It wasn’t what I expected at all. Didn’t even cross my mind tbh. They are going to do a full PM for their own research but will let me know. Apparently in 14 years of practice my vet hasn’t seen one actual case of this type of cancer in a young horse…. Think she said it was similar to leukaemia in young children… she said it was likely to be present in other areas

deb_l222

Visit site
So sorry the news wasn't better. Take comfort in the fact you did absolutely everything you could.

Take care of yourself - you've had a massive shock xx

TheMule

Visit site
So sorry to read this, what a sad outcome.
I lost a young horse to intestinal tumors, she was a picture of health until she started colicing and it was the last thing on everyone's list but sadly after a week we couldn’t control the colic so they opened her up and found the cancer.
There's nothing you could have done ?

Northern Hare

Visit site
I'm so sorry to read your update - what a huge shock for you, and so sad to lose a lovely young horse. Reading through the thread, it's clear you were not leaving any stone unturned at each stage in the diagnosis and treatment, so he was very lucky to have such a caring owner on his side looking after his best interests. Such a sad time for you though, so sorry for your loss.

Poppy2003

Visit site
So sorry to read this, what a sad outcome.
I lost a young horse to intestinal tumors, she was a picture of health until she started colicing and it was the last thing on everyone's list but sadly after a week we couldn’t control the colic so they opened her up and found the cancer.
There's nothing you could have done ?

wow this sounds really similar to what’s happened to us. This one was massive apparently, bigger than a grapefruit. He was also extremely healthy until very recently. The vet has sent off a couple of samples and will provide whatever further info they can. Sorry for your loss too. So young ?