No bad dogs only.....Scotland sheep attacked

tasteofchristmaschaos

Visit site
I'm suprised the farmer didn't shoot the dog on sight.
I have a 3 legged sheep because some ***** of a woman couldn't control her dog and chased my boy for 10 minutes, biting him repeated times including through the knee. She scarpered, I'm left with an £800 vet bill and a sheep with a shortened life.
I think dog licences and compulsory puppy'/dog training when people get a new dog is the way forward.

Potato!

Visit site
My OH and his dad pulled two dogs off our sheep not to long ago. The took them to the local police station who had the dogs microchipped to trace the owner. The police then handed the dogs back to the owner who got away scott free while OH LOST 4 of his sheep.

FIL said next time he will shoot the dogs if they are caught worrying his sheep again.

Pedantic

Visit site
I'm suprised the farmer didn't shoot the dog on sight.
I have a 3 legged sheep because some ***** of a woman couldn't control her dog and chased my boy for 10 minutes, biting him repeated times including through the knee. She scarpered, I'm left with an £800 vet bill and a sheep with a shortened life.
I think dog licences and compulsory puppy'/dog training when people get a new dog is the way forward.

That's a good idea, licence and chipped, plus training, no certificate of competence, no dog, if your caught without either fine and your dog took off you, then kept at your expense until you comply or dog found new home.

Elbie

Visit site
That would be so hard to govern. There are so many breeders out there you wouldn't be able to track it.

Plus, just because someone takes a competance course, does not mean they will actually train the dog properly once they get it!

5horses2dogsandacat

Generally on a hill.. when not blown off the side.
Visit site
That would be so hard to govern. There are so many breeders out there you wouldn't be able to track it.

Plus, just because someone takes a competance course, does not mean they will actually train the dog properly once they get it!

^^ This is totally right... You think about driving licenses.. everyone has one on the road, but still you get some god damn terrible drivers.

If you had to go out and pay for training and a competence license the charities and pounds would be filled to the brim with unwanted dogs.

Dogs are after all distant relations of the wolf, this behaviour I guess comes back from that.. If a dog does attack other animals, then it MUST be the dog owners responsibility. This is were laws around these types of incidents must be made and reinforced by police.

amy_b

Visit site
I had a terrier who I took to puppy training, passed at the top of his class, was very, very well trained. walked off the lead to heel, did all the fancy tricks, I made sure when he was a puppy he knew he wasnt allowed to so much as look at sheep! one day when he was eight he decided for some reason the neighbours sheep looked delicious that day chased them and killed one. accidents will always happen with even the most trustworthy dogs and sheep!
I rehomed my dog (he is a very spoilt poochie now!!:rolleyes:) to avoid it happening again by accident as I didnt want to risk him being shot, paid the farmer for the dead sheep and the vets bill for one other.
The thing that separates people is the ones that own up to the responsibility for it and pay the farmer for the damage and make sure it never happens again and the ones like this one who do one! the latter boil my blood!

amage

Visit site
A gun there and then. Having been chased by a dog on the beach I now ave a mare who is terrified of the beach and of dogs (she is 16 no issues previously....was ridden on the beach daily). Same dog worried our calves and only for the bull running it off would have killed on of them. and most recently same dog again killed neighbours sheep....it got a bullet and not a moment too soon! I am a doggy person and adore dogs but no pet should be allowed damage someones livelihood

Ibblebibble

Visit site
ban all pets and then us humans won't be inconvenienced by them!:eek:
Animals can not be expected to obey the rules 100 % of the time, even the best trained have lapses. You will never stop some idiots owning dogs and you won't stop some farmers deliberately putting excitable nosey steers in the field the bridle path runs through;) At least the farmer has the right to shoot the dog, i don't have the right to shoot the steers;)

Ranyhyn

Visit site
How do you know they are deliberately there Ibblebibble?

Our ram is up in our footpath field, he'd do some damage to a stupid dog. He's not there deliberately to annoy people - he's there to separate him from our ewes. :confused:

amage

Visit site
Animals can not be expected to obey the rules 100 % of the time, even the best trained have lapses. You will never stop some idiots owning dogs and you won't stop some farmers deliberately putting excitable nosey steers in the field the bridle path runs through;) At least the farmer has the right to shoot the dog, i don't have the right to shoot the steers;)

What so a farmer should lose the use of his entire field just because a bridlepath runs through it....don't be ridiculous you are not comparing like with like at all. The farmer has the right to graze THEIR animals on THEIR land. Some fool's mutts do not have the right to a self service buffet on somebody elses land

Potato!

Visit site
It's simple, surely, if you are walking your dog through a field with any livestock including horses, a simple recall and you put it on a lead?!!

http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/ourwork/enjoying/countrysidecode/keepdogs.aspx

Well yes if it was only that simple but alot of people seem to think they have the right to let their dog off the lead no matter what caios it causes because thrir dog is a loving family pet and wouldn'd do anything like that. We hear that all the time when we have to do out onto dartmoor and through fields with footpaths/bridlepaths and pick up a sheep that has been mauled by dogs and shoot them.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Very understanding farmer, it would have been shot on sight around here.
Mine are not 100% trustworthy around livestock so they are on leads, don't see what is so hard about that.

Ibblebibble

Visit site
How do you know they are deliberately there Ibblebibble?

Our ram is up in our footpath field, he'd do some damage to a stupid dog. He's not there deliberately to annoy people - he's there to separate him from our ewes. :confused:

What so a farmer should lose the use of his entire field just because a bridlepath runs through it....don't be ridiculous you are not comparing like with like at all. The farmer has the right to graze THEIR animals on THEIR land. Some fool's mutts do not have the right to a self service buffet on somebody elses land

it was said tongue in cheek:rolleyes:;) fact is , dogs vs livestock is a problem that will never be solved because each side always think they have more rights than the other.

Pedantic

Visit site
it was said tongue in cheek:rolleyes:;) fact is , dogs vs livestock is a problem that will never be solved because each side always think they have more rights than the other.

Well I would say the farmer on his land with his live stock has all the rights, and the idiot dog owner has only one right to walk along the public route with the dog on a lead.

Ibblebibble

Visit site
Well I would say the farmer on his land with his live stock has all the rights, and the idiot dog owner has only one right to walk along the public route with the dog on a lead.

you are right, but a hell of a lot of dog walkers who go across farmland will argue that they have the right to be there and that their dog is under control off the lead, that is the problem that will never be solved. You will never stop idiots owning dogs no matter what laws are passed, the laws are already in place to protect livestock but every year it still happens.
I livery on a farm with public footpaths going through it, i deal with idiot dog walkers every summer! Oh and i own 3 dogs so i am not anti dog;)

Jemima_P

Visit site
We've lost 2 cats and 2 sheep to dogs in the last few years. Another sheep mauled just before Xmas, and my dog attacked in the summer. All this from a quiet footpath that runs between our house and fields.
Unfortunately there isn't much you can do. We have signs everywhere, guard dogs, dog-scaring horses! (got to love my old pony for saving the sheep on a few occasions)
Everyone thinks their dog is safe, but anything can happen. My father had to shoot my brothers dog a few years ago when he attacked the other dogs, it was a horrific experience but we could not take that dog back to a house with children after it had almost killed the dog it normally loved.

Luci07

Visit site
I have dogs. Great around horses but I would not let them off the lead with sheep. Simples!

Slight tangent, but why the hell do they say thought to be a staffordshire bull terrier.? Like we don't get enough bad press as it is. Could not even be bothered to check their basic facts "large powerful dog"

Staffords are small dogs.

Very restrained of the farmer,...

Foxhunter49

Visit site

So, a farmer is not meant to graze a field with a bridleway through it?

bumblelion

Visit site
Very understanding farmer, it would have been shot on sight around here.
Mine are not 100% trustworthy around livestock so they are on leads, don't see what is so hard about that.

^^^ this^^^^

Iv got two rotties, great dogs, very obedient most of the time, although constantly testing the boundary!! However, I wouldn't trust them around livestock or even loose with my horses! All my fields are wired! They're always on leads when out and it's just a case of being responsible for their sakes as well! They're great with kids though ;)

Alfiem

Visit site
I would have shot it. I hate dogs now, I used to like them once but I have really gone off them after being lunged at a few times and the owners do sod all about it.
I think there needs to be some sort of regulation for dog ownership and if the dog becomes a problem it should be forcibly rehomed to someone who can be bothered to deal with it or PTS.