No Breaks!

EEquine

Visit site
Needing some advice. Recently I have been strggling with my thouroughbred x out on hacks. We will be cantering along and he will suddenly put his head down and tank off. Does anyone now of any bits I could try to get a bit more breaks? He has a lovely soft mouth though and I wouldn't want it to be too harsh.

EQUIDAE

Visit site
rather than swapping bits (and swapping again when that is no longer enough etc), consider how you are asking for the stop. Are you pulling? If so you give them something to brace against. You're much better doing a pull-release-pull-release technique - think a half halt that is a shout rather than a whisper.

kez81

Visit site
Do you tend to canter in the same places? I would personally not canter for a little while but instead be working on getting a good walk-stop and trot-walk transitions. Only once these are re-established, then I would start reintroducing short canters. If he tanks, its back to walk and trot work. Varying your hacks is key, canter in different places each time so he isn't always anticipating a "go".

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Whilst I agree that this is a schooling/riding issue, I can recommend the NS Universal with 2 reins. You can ride on the snaffle rein most of the time and bring the curb rein into play when necessary. As there are numerous bits available, it seems ridiculous, imo, to struggle on with a bit that your horse does not respond to.

pansymouse

Visit site
I use a kineton noseband as a very effective anti-tanking tool. I only need it when my mare is at events and gets beside herself with excitement and forgets her manners. I use it snatch and release rather than hauling and it works to bring her back under control pretty rapidly.

PaddyMonty

Visit site
Whilst I agree this is a schooling issue I don't see any reason not to use a different bit in the interim.
You say he puts his head down before tanking off so you need a bit that will encourage him to lift his head. In this case I would suggest trying a Cheltenham gag with two sets of reins. This way you can ride using the snaffle rein until he sticks his head down when you can use the gag rein to encourage it up again. Do not use on a three ring gag (often called continental or bubble) as this will generally(IME) encourage the horse to drop behind the bit.

fatpiggy

Visit site
Needing some advice. Recently I have been strggling with my thouroughbred x out on hacks. We will be cantering along and he will suddenly put his head down and tank off. Does anyone now of any bits I could try to get a bit more breaks? He has a lovely soft mouth though and I wouldn't want it to be too harsh.

Voice aids, worth their weight in gold. My mare had an obsession with galloping (and I really mean galloping, not a fast canter) and was stubborn, pig-headed and Welsh. So I retrained her with just voice aids and could always pull her up from gallop just by saying "and walk" a few times.

LHIS

Visit site
rather than swapping bits (and swapping again when that is no longer enough etc), consider how you are asking for the stop. Are you pulling? If so you give them something to brace against. You're much better doing a pull-release-pull-release technique - think a half halt that is a shout rather than a whisper.

I agree with this ^^
If you pull, and he's 'on one' he'll just tank through the contact. Little squeezes would be better than pulling. Problem is, and I know this because it's my automatic reaction, is to think 'ah crap!' and give a firm pull on the reins.

I also agree with the voice commands - worth their weight in gold. I'd look at changing his bit as a last resort, after trying to above first.

oldjumper

Visit site
Some good advice already on here - not cantering in same place, schooling etc. One other thing - has he been in training? If so, he could be misreading some of your aids. Many ex racers understand any shortening of the reins to mean "pedal to the metal"! Also, very important to know how to bridge reins if he does take off. Good luck!

Auslander

Visit site
Although I'd never not work on a horse to ensure that he/she is a well schooled mannerly ride, I'm reluctant to jump on the "It's a schooling issue" bandwagon. It's an easy drum to beat, but often, I think people forget that there are two personalities at work whenever you get on a horse.
As an example, my horse is about as well schooled as you get (not my own work, so not just being smug here) He has competed at Inter1, and trained at GP, but does that mean he is perfectly well behaved out hacking - does it hell! He has hacked all his life, mostly in the New Forest, so he's well accustomed to coming across scary things out hacking. So - on paper he should be a great, safe, sensible, well desensitised hack, as well as being a well schooled beast.
He isn't...
He regularly spooks, spins, bucks, broncs, waves his head around, pulls like a train, and bogs off with me, usually squealing his head off as he does it.
It's not a schooling issue, or fear, or pain - he's just having a bit of fun!

huskydamage

Visit site
When mine does this I can stop or 'get her attention' by bridging the reins or turning. I also push her side to side with my legs (if the path is wide). Anything that reminds her I am still there lol She can turn very sharp so if I am quick enough I can whip her round on the spot before she goes to bomb off. Has been said already but the 'on off on off' type pulling is the way to go once is full 'tank mode'. Mine does not stop from continous pulling just ignores. I have also used terrain to help me ie knowing there is a big field to turn in always give myself plenty of room. I also tend to trot everywhere on my hacks so she is usually pretty chilled out to canter. Ideally don't do things in the same places turn circles, stop, walk up another bit of path or do something else other than just bomb down the path on auto-pilot. Because my offroad riding is so limited I made a rod for my own back cantering\galloping on every path every time. Now am having to change this so she doesn't know what to expect so much.