No confidence

Visit site
I've been riding about 4 years and I am usually a confident rider. I recently got a new loan pony and she is amazing. I took her out on the cross country track today (it's basically just the outskirts of the field with some logs) with my friends and their loans and she got really, really strong and I lost all control over her. I jumped her over the first jump and she just full on galloped over it and galloped away and I could not stop her. I was terrified and I was almost in tears, I honestly don't know what it is but all my confidence goes down the drain when I'm on a bolting horse. Now everyone thinks I'm a bad rider. How do it react to a bolting horse and how do I get my confidence back up? I used to be extremely confident in lessons but as I started loaning I'm now more weary.
Also, afterwards I took her into the school and I wasn't nervous anymore. It seems it's just when we're outside, anyway to fix this?

littleshetland

Visit site
Oh , poor old you.....being out of control is bloody scary, but it's happened to most of us at one time or another. Just make sure the next time you go out in big open spaces with her, that you don't set yourselves up to fail. Theres probably a lot to consider - other horses doing fast work nearby, the type of bit, your type of riding etc etc. Was she really 'bolting' or just getting very very strong and taking charge? It probably doesn't matter if others think you're a bad rider (sounds like you're gaining lots of experience!) Just do what you feel to get your confidence back - take some advice from someone knowledgable that you trust, and ride within your comfort zone for a while. When you ride outside, just take it nice and steady. Although riding is meant to be fun, educating horses is an on going process and our riding skills are constantly evolving - we never stop learning.

Last edited:

ameeyal

Visit site
What i would do next time you are out with your friends jumping, is for them to jump first, then wait not far from the jump, so you are jumping to your mates and his friends, then pull him up. I think he just got overly excited with you, plus spring grass. Just ride with friends that will go steady with you in open spaces. Or keep away from the outside and let your confidence grow in the school.

sprite1978

Visit site
It sounds like over excitement rather than bolting. The main thing to learn from having your own horse away from a school, is that every horse has its own quirks, and as owners we learn how to manage them. If this pony gets excited when jumping in a group, then the only answer is to either avoid those situations - or brave it out to see if it settles with time. We play to their strengths and manage their weaknesses. That's what makes a good rider. Don't beat yourself up.