No Fence - thoughts

Sparkeyboy

Visit site
Anyone heard of No Fence?

A colleague at work told me about it and I thought it sounded great, although not tested on horses yet. https://www.nofence.no/en/

Then I started thinking ... not sure how good it would be for the laminitics who are on limited grazing areas, a physical fence does a good job of keeping dogs, humans and other pests out, not just keeping horses in and do you think some horses would just continually barge through? The collars also seem pretty bulky, but would be very interesting having a tracker on them to see what they get up too.

What are your thoughts?

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I watched this last night and I just do not see how the animal doesn't work out pretty closely that it can go at will and just has to put up with an annoying tune and then vibrations.

I was looking at the cows on TV last night and my gut reaction was they were all clustered quite closely together, I couldn't decide if that was because they were having boundaries messed about with a fair bit for show. It interests me as a concept and I would love to give it a proper trial. I am guessing it wouldn't work putting horses next to each other for single grazing for instance.

teddypops

Visit site
How bizarre! I think one of my ponies would get this, the others are too busy looking for more grass. It would also be a problem if there was an issue. It says you are notified but what if you had no signal on your phone, were out of battery or you were miles away?

Goldenstar

Visit site
A similar system worked brilliantly for our dogs it was a total game changer for us .
Herd animals spooked by something I am not so sure .

Last edited:

PurBee

Visit site
I wouldn’t for a horse. Dont want anything around their neck that can get caught on tree/bushes branches and yanked off etc.
Some horses, even a buzz from an electric fence doesnt work, so a sound isnt going to stop them imo.

Squeak

Visit site
I think the theory of it sounds great, where you don't need fencing and could instantly make it so that you avoid a boggy corner etc but I'm another one who isn't convinced that it would work in practice.

ArklePig

Visit site
I've seen my share horse lie down on a non grass turn out pen, stick his head under electric fencing and nibble the grass growing on the lane along side it. We call it danger grass, he's really willing to risk it, so I'd have no faith in it for someone like him. I just can't see it working for many horses I know sadly.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
No definitely not something I would risk for my greedy lot - one look at lush grass across the imaginary line and they would be off lol!

Also I wouldn't be too thrilled to know next door's Charolais herd including an extremely large and notoriously grumpy bull only had a 'pretend' fence between me and them when I walk down to my yard and fields! ?

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
I think it would maybe work for animals (cows mainly, but maybe sensible ponies) out on a decent sized, well fenced acreage to use for strip grazing or "fencing off" muddy areas, roads/tracks etc. That would be the only scenario it would be useful for though, IMO.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I've had a horse, when I was riding him, make a very obviously conscious decision to run straight through an electrified wire. He stopped, looked at it, thought about it and then plunged right through it.

There's no way I'd use this with horses.

twiggy2

Visit site
On average each farmer who has purchased havs 13.6 animals, so I would guess these animals are not on big acerage like the video suggests, if the animals move away from the noise/vibration then they obviously are avoiding something they find unpleasant, if the location of the thing they find unpleasant keeps changing they I would imagine it would do nothing to reduce lifes stresses for that animal.
This type of fencing does nothing to keep your animal safe from other either which is always a worry, no walkers etc will see the boundary.

Sam_J

Visit site
I saw part of the clip about this - the farmer called it 'pulses', but surely this is just a euphemism for an electric shock collar? Not entirely sure how I feel about it, but I do get annoyed by them glossing over the facts.

little_critter

Visit site
having seen this system not work for dogs, I would have little faith for horses. I know my minis would just bolt through it, because they know a short punishment is worth it to get to freedom. I also think a horse reacting instinctively would temporarily forget the system and just react too quickly.
Same with my girl, she will go through a fairly powerful battery powered electric fence so a bit of a buzz wouldn’t even register.

my bfg

Visit site
Not something I would consider, can't see what's stopping the horse getting a shock, bolting the wrong direction, then being constantly shocked and panicked until it's found?

paddi22

Visit site
considering the effects of physics and gravity can't seem to stop my minis getting to grass, I'd have very little faith in an invisible fence

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-10-09 at 21.57.37.png
    Screenshot 2021-10-09 at 21.57.37.png
    369 KB · Views: 10

Spotherisk

Visit site
I've had a horse, when I was riding him, make a very obviously conscious decision to run straight through an electrified wire. He stopped, looked at it, thought about it and then plunged right through it.

There's no way I'd use this with horses.

I’d really love to know what caused his decision and what happened next?