No field shelter, hot stables. In or out?!

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Mine choose to come in, despite the stables being hot, but we have lots of horse flies, and that seems to be the deciding factor. I have chains across the open doors, sun reflectors up at the sky lights, fans in the eaves and a water misting system in the overhang (not very strong due to the water pressure, but they seem to like it). If it gets really hot I sponge them down with wet sponges. Wet hay helps too.

I find the heat nearly as bad as a bad winter!

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Mine choose to come in, despite the stables being hot, but we have lots of horse flies, and that seems to be the deciding factor. I have chains across the open doors, sun reflectors up at the sky lights, fans in the eaves and a water misting system in the overhang (not very strong due to the water pressure, but they seem to like it). If it gets really hot I sponge them down with wet sponges. Wet hay helps too.

I find the heat nearly as bad as a bad winter!

Same as my mare. We have little shelter if any in the fields and I’m fortunate I have a large open stable and 30ft pen attached so she can be in the shade with some breeze.

I do feel bad for the liveries at ours that choose to leave them out in the direct sun in 28+ temperatures when they have cool stone stables they could use. :-(

LittleBlueBird

Visit site
One has sweetitch, I’m going to have to put on a mesh fly rug and pray, she’s just too hot out in it, if I stable her I take the rug off but the stable is so hot she sweats.

The stables have a bit of the plastic corrugated stuff as one panel to let light in, I may have to cover it with one of those car windscreen things.

Looking at a sail type thing, will speak to the yard owner and see what we can do.

I know people love summer but I can’t wait for autumn and winter, next up is bot flies. ☹️

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have to clip mine they simply can’t work like they do in their coats
It’s a pain clipping all year round

LittleBlueBird

Visit site
We put up a sail for shade one for each other then, one loves it the other thinks it’s going to eat her and absolutely refuses to go near it. I know people love the summer but I’m sick of worrying about my animals in this heat. Will be hosing them over fly rugs frequently today.

JumpTheMoon1

Visit site
Why wont planning allow a field shelter ? seems rather cruel when you need a shelter in this extreme heat.
I think its far hotter now than 25 degrees.

Schollym

Visit site
Planning won’t allow any type of field shelter which I think is awful, fields are open only a little shelter from trees along part of the fence in the afternoon. The stables get really hot and stuffy but out of the full sun. They’ve forecast 25 degrees today, if there’s a breeze fine if not would you bring in or leave out?
I understood that if you have a field shelter on ‘skids’ so they can be moved if needed they count as temporary structures and don’t need planning. As we are due to keep having these heat issues it might be worth checking it out.