No fill rugs that are actually waterproof?

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
I've previously used Amigo 1200 LW with success. I've just swapped to Ruggles 1200 LW as I've read a fair good few reviews on them & they're cheaper than Amigos. IME of 600d rugs they're only suitable for persistent light rain not torrential downpours. The higher the denier the more waterproof.

hibshobby

Visit site
Yep, agree with the Amigo and Weatherbeeta. Of course you get a bit of "leakage" around the neck, but body stays dry and clean without overheating.

Cheiro1

Visit site
I think, often, the issue with no fill rugs appearing to leak can be due to the fit, hence some people finding some brands great whilst others find they let water in.

Water can run down the neck and chest and track under the rug, soaking the horse all over and making it seem as though the rug's leaking. This doesn't seem so obvious with a rug with filling as some of the water tracking underneath is absorbed by the filling. I'd say it'd be quite rare that the actual outer of a rug would leak as they're made with waterproofed material for the job. (Especially with a brand like PE).

Might it be worth looking at the shape of your horse and finding a rug that suits that shape? Just an idea. Might save you some money in the long run.

PE is one of the few brands of rug which DO fit my girl really well, and there is very little open space where water could track. Also her neck was bone dry and her body soaking which would fit with a faulty rug as the necks are made/packaged etc seperately.

Off to look at Shires rugs, they seem to be the general consensus :D

acorn92x

Visit site
Definitely Shires! I have an entire wardrobe of Shires and Weatherbeeta rugs for my girl! I would also suggest looking at Rhino/Rambo rugs second hand if you don't have the funds to buy them from new as they are brilliant. Imo, it's better to buy good quality second hand than buy cheap but brand new as you'll honestly end up replacing it not long after. Cheap/no brand turnout rugs are not worth wasting money on!

wingedhorse99

Visit site
Definitely Shires! I have an entire wardrobe of Shires and Weatherbeeta rugs for my girl! I would also suggest looking at Rhino/Rambo rugs second hand if you don't have the funds to buy them from new as they are brilliant. Imo, it's better to buy good quality second hand than buy cheap but brand new as you'll honestly end up replacing it not long after. Cheap/no brand turnout rugs are not worth wasting money on!

Those recommending Shires rugs as cost effect and waterproof does that include the 600 dernier Shires Tempest?

Wondering about this one? http://www.thesaddleryshop.co.uk/P/...-(3710).aspx?gclid=CJ2Jj83jjMcCFcTJtAodFCIIvw

I need a lightweight with neck x 2

Thanks

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I do agree RE not washing, they're never the same again even if reproofed.

The problem is if you need repairs done, no one round here will do a repair unless you first get it washed. I've got a nice Amigo which doesn't seem to leak but has a rip which needs competent repairing.

I bought a Pessoa on ebay and that seems OK at the moment, I also have a gallop which has leaked from the start.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Yes it is a pain. I can mend a lot of things myself, but occasionally I have had to get things washed, reproofed and fixed which was quite pricey considering that in one case I only needed one leg strap sewing back on. Plus the rug wasn't as waterproof afterwards. It's almost not worth mending stuff and buying a bargain replacement instead, which sits uneasily with me.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I too don't wash and fix where I can if possible (I just clean the insides by hand with some wool wash). I did take a rug back to somerset to have a spare neck cover stitched on as a tail flap as I couldn't find someone in wilts to do it without insisting on the whole rug being washed first (I did the back bit ;)).

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
The Rambo original with leg arches every time for me. Seem to fit all sorts and don't leak. Pricey, but they are very hard wearing. I only ever buy the no fill version, and then have various weights of liners to suit the prevailing weather if extra warmth is required.

image.jpg1_zpsdutle64j.jpg

Mister Ted

Visit site
Those recommending Shires rugs as cost effect and waterproof does that include the 600 dernier Shires Tempest?

Wondering about this one? http://www.thesaddleryshop.co.uk/P/...-(3710).aspx?gclid=CJ2Jj83jjMcCFcTJtAodFCIIvw

Thanks
I have found the Shires tempest very good and reasonably priced as well as Amigo.Well designed and buckles/clips easy to handle which I have always found a problem with Weathabeeta.For long term value though I would go for the Amigo1200dwith hood.Mine has lasted years because of the tough fabric.

Lintel

Visit site
Amigo's are good - sadly aren't such a good fit for my boy.
DH are great.. sometimes!

Weatherbeeta are wonderful though!

ApolloStorm

Visit site
I have a Weatherbeeta Highlander Lite which feels really tough and hasn't ever leaked, my horse who hates the rain has always been dry under it even round the neck it fits him so well! My friend has an Amigo Mio for one horse and a gallop for the other which both feel flimsy in comparison and her horses always looks cold and miserable in the rain. The only bug I have is that since its out of season in the colour Ive got it in I cant find a neck!

BraidedTail

Visit site

Thanks

Yep thats the same as my combo apart from mines 'teal' or 'petrol' colour or something - mind you pays to shop around; think mine was under £30 from Countrywide in a sale. My 2 old battered shires are definitely Tempests too. EDIT - Rideaway have the same as mine at £31 - tried to do a link but won't work for some reason
Re washing - I've never had a problem; they always come up as good new.

Last edited:
Visit site
No Fill rugs are designed to be be SHOWERPROOF rather than waterproof (hence having no filling). They are worn during the spring and summer when it is more likely that there will be showers rather than heavy rain.

Tim's Girl

Visit site
Ive got 2 amigo 600d lw. One is 5 years old the other 2. Neither have leaked. They are only one of a few rugs that actually fit my tb. I have a wb original 1200d but thats new and unused yet but fits fine. I would say its down to shape of horse. Oh and i never wash turnout rugs. The reproofing is never the same.

xgemmax

Visit site
Shires, and I also have a Saxon one which is pretty good :) Wouldn't get derby house, not at all waterproof after a couple of showers!

Annagain

Visit site
If the PE one was a faulty one rather than generally not up to the job and you're otherwise happy with them, could you just get a replacement?

Brightbay

Visit site
Yes the Shires Tempests are the ones I use. I do have the combo, but again don't use it much.
I can seriously say they have been tested to destruction - my horse wore one through downpours with hurricane force winds and been completely dry. He overheats in rugs with fill - I keep buying 40g and 80g rugs because people say "oh you need that because a LW is only designed for summer". Then I find a hot grumpy horse, remove the rug, replace it with an unlined, and back to happy dry horse again.

They are the best value rug on the market, I think. Gave up on PE as had a leaky one and they were odd sizings. The horse destroyed the Amigo we tried. Saxon looked like a miniskirt on him. Masta didn't fit his chest and so he got a wet neck. The Fals fit him nicely but he gets too hot even with the lowest amount of fill, and after washing they started letting in water.

Sticking to the cheapy Shires - even if it does get snagged, dirty, or a bit leaky, I can still afford to replace it. I currently have 4 (including one combo) ranging from 4 years to 6 months old, all still waterproof and going strong.

chocolategirl

Visit site
Hi all. Not sure what they will be like, but I've just ordered 3 1200d lw weatherbeetas from robinsons website, they are on offer so less than £50!

Cheiro1

Visit site
If the PE one was a faulty one rather than generally not up to the job and you're otherwise happy with them, could you just get a replacement?

Unfortunately not, they don't have any 6ft3's left and aren't manufacturing any more until January apparently! :(

No Fill rugs are designed to be be SHOWERPROOF rather than waterproof (hence having no filling). They are worn during the spring and summer when it is more likely that there will be showers rather than heavy rain.

If they are advertised as WATERPROOF I expect them to be just that!!

Hi all. Not sure what they will be like, but I've just ordered 3 1200d lw weatherbeetas from robinsons website, they are on offer so less than £50!

Unfortunately WB don't fit my horse at all well :(