No food before neutering question...Help please!

SnowPhony

Visit site
My cat is booked in to be neutered tomorrow. He's on adlib dry food which I filled before heading to work today. I was told no food night before after 8-9 by one nurse. The text I had today says 6pm. I've been unexpectedly called out and won't be home until probably 11 so can't take food away. He's probably eaten most if not all by now but is it best to reschedule just in case? :(

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
My cat is booked in to be neutered tomorrow. He's on adlib dry food which I filled before heading to work today. I was told no food night before after 8-9 by one nurse. The text I had today says 6pm. I've been unexpectedly called out and won't be home until probably 11 so can't take food away. He's probably eaten most if not all by now but is it best to reschedule just in case? :(

yes cancel it and re book it he must not go under general with food in his stomach.

Cats will be sick if they go under general with food in them and they can choke.

Last edited:

Sandstone1

Visit site
I Think most vets now say no food after midnight which would give 8 hours at least before op so he should be fine. Phone vet to check if worried.

SnowPhony

Visit site
A google search has come up with so many different times....6pm, 8pm, 10pm and midnight. Pretty sure most food will be gone by now anyway and he trickle feeds rather than eats a big meal at once but really don't want a dead kitty!

twiggy2

Visit site
No food after a set time is to reduce the risk under GA, at work the policy is no food after 7pm and for routine surgery it helps to be able to be flexible with what order they are done in case emergencies come in, if animals are fed until 9pm we will still do them but they will wait till later in the day.
Can you phone your vets before you travel tomorrow and explain? they will then be able to say yes or no and at work we would say no as for a routine precedure the risk is not worth it

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
No food after a set time is to reduce the risk under GA, at work the policy is no food after 7pm and for routine surgery it helps to be able to be flexible with what order they are done in case emergencies come in, if animals are fed until 9pm we will still do them but they will wait till later in the day.
Can you phone your vets before you travel tomorrow and explain? they will then be able to say yes or no and at work we would say no as for a routine precedure the risk is not worth it

here here - our vets say not after 8pm - but they are so busy you very rarely will get it done on that day as they will have other ops so cannot wait till later in the day, also it means the cat cannot be returned that day so the owner or charity have to pay for the night stay for the animal.

Umbongo

Visit site
My practice say no food after 9pm, but would allow the operation if the food was taken away before midnight as we don't start operations until 11am anyway (after morning consults). Depends on the practice rules, and how early they start operating. I would ring and let them know the situation, but for a routine operation it may not be worth the risk.

3OldPonies

Visit site
I was told nothing for 12 hours before, and to let the vets know when dropping off when he last ate so they could plan which animal went first according to when they last had munchies. There was always someone who let their cat or dog have a few bix at bedtime!!!!!! So that poor mite would be scheduled last on the list. While the ones that had been longest without went first.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
he will be fine - check with vets in am if concerned

That is like saying nothing will happened guaranteed - which is incorrect sorry to say. I would never state this as fact when I know different........... One cat vomited during the surgery the other died due to choking during surgery. All down to the person covering my foster cats feeding them a bowl of biscuits for the night

OP call your vets as they prob say to re schedule the appointment - do you really want to risk your cats life????

Last edited:

SnowPhony

Visit site
Took him in and explained he was given food early in the morning before I went to work to help himself to as normal but that I was home late so couldn't guarantee when he last ate except he definitely had no food left at 11. Vet was unconcerned and no issue whatsoever. He's home and happy like he hasn't even had an op :)