No girth fits my new English saddle on my 15'2 QH

Arrow Caldwell

New User
Visit site
HELLO!! I just registered today on H&H ~ What a nice place to come! I have scanned the forum for an answer to my question, but can't find it yet, and feel quite ignorant... Until now I have rode Western and wanted to switch or at least try English for a while. I bought a used saddle from Craigslist that did not come with a girth; the saddle itself seems to fit my horse, Arrow, fine. He is a well-fleshed gelding, but seriously not THAT bad. After measuring the distance from the lowest holes on the leathers I bought the biggest size I have seen online, a 56" with STRETCH on both ends. I knew by measuring Arrow's underside that I'd need longer than 56" (more like 62") to span the hole-to-hole on leathers; but, none-the-less I ordered the girth, figuring there was a secret I didn't understand about the actual measurement/inches on the girths being sold/how the numbers worked on the girth specs... But no, there is at least 6" gap I can not connect girth to saddle. I don't know what's wrong... I have seen way bigger horses than mine being ridden with English saddles LOL... Do I need an extender on the leathers? or is there such a thing as a big-boy girth?? ... thanks, Megan

Shooting Star

Visit site
Welcome to the forum :)

English girth’s do go bigger than 56”, usually up to 60” however you wouldn’t expect to need a girth that size on a 15.2, only really on a very large heavy weight type.

Two thoughts would be;
1. English saddles are normally only used with a fairly light cotton saddle pad and perhaps a wool half pad, are you using a think western blanket which takes up a lot more space?

2. Is the saddle too narrow and therefore sitting too high?

Arrow Caldwell

New User
Visit site
OK, THANKS to both of you so far! It doesnt seem logical not to reach around him tum-tum!-- will recheck if saddle fits well on his back; I'm using a "close fit" fleece pad for English saddle... maybe should try a more cotton quilt? And YES, I am in US, Wisconsin -- I'll definitely look at that girth! 60 should do it, if the saddle isnt too small... THANKS AGAIN! Megan

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
One of my saddles needed a big boy girth as you call it, and the horse only just scraped 16hh. It was the design.

It also depends on the type of girth, as well padded leather ones use some of the space for the padding and therefore need to be longer to compensate.

I also ponder the fit of saddle and how thick an underpad you are using. Plus, is your horse puffing out? It is not as noticeable with a western cinch, but with the English girth if they really puff out it can be the devil's own job to get the straps to attach!

ironhorse

Visit site
You might find that if you can get the 56in girth on using extenders it will go up a lot as you ride or lunge/round pen the horse. Both of my QHs needed a girth extender (although weren't especially deep - the 16hh hunter type was in a 46in English girth and a 29in western!) because if you put the 'right' size girth on to start with it was soon on the top holes both sides. I have no idea why this is! A girth with elastic at both ends is also useful - I love the Professional's Choice Smx girths and QHs are normally used to neoprene cinches so find them very comfortable.
Saddle type can have an influence too - are you using a close contact saddle for hunter/jumper work? These seem to have ridiculously short straps if they are the conventional girthing type (rather than long straps to go with a dressage girth) - a GP saddle might work better.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
My Suffolk punch has a 62" girth and I don't find them too difficult to get hold of (mine came from a second hand shop). I think Shires go up to 62" but most shops don't stock because it's really only heavy horses that need them. A good local tack shop should be able to order one in, or follow Oz's advice and find a friendly local saddler.

Templebar

Visit site
I cant think that a horse of that size would need a girth any bigger than what you have. I think that something is amiss, can you post a photo or perhaps better a video of the saddle, horse and how you are trying to do the girth up. I wonder if you are doing it up in the right place. the length of straps would be good too.

Arrow Caldwell

New User
Visit site
I'm trying to put in photos, but only seems to take a "URL" :-( -- I have some jpegs to upload here, but won't let me upload or drag on to this reply... wil look at FAQ to try to figure out. ANYWAY, THANKS!!!! For all the replies!!! ~Megan

Arrow Caldwell

New User
Visit site
f22c0580-1e33-451f-92d1-f93899b82632

JFTDWS

Visit site
I think you need a better fitting saddle - can you get a saddler out to help you fit one, or an English riding trainer? That one really doesn't fit well at all.

Sweet horse though. My little 15,1 QH is currently in the equivalent of a 40", even though she's not wildly smaller or thinner than your chap - her saddle flaps (and girth straps) come further down her sides, and her saddle is balanced instead of standing high in front like yours.

OldFogie

Provocateur
Visit site
.......YES, I am in US, Wisconsin

Go Packers! I can remember days before Bret Farve! Been NFL fan since the daysof leather helments but a Brit.

My old girl ( that's my mare not her indoors ) was 84" around her middle and was wormed on the basis of being 1500lbs - she had an English dressage saddle by Turf & Travel which all featured long leathers so that the buckles do not sit under one's excellent leg position! So a smaller girth than normal - in the final answer to your problem is a visit to the saddler for extensions - it'll be a cinch!

Theocat

Visit site
That saddle doesn't remotely fit. It also looks tiny, and I'll be staggered if it fits an adult even if by some miracle you get it to fit the horse!

Stick that one back in Craigslist and get a saddler out.

Lovely horse - seems to exude a lovely attitude!

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
It would look bigger if it sat down on her, it's miles off her, almost certainly much too narrow, can you see how much it's tilting back? At the front, if you press firmly on the pommel (I'd not recommend it as the fit is so poor) you'd want between 2 and 4 fingers' height under the pommel to the wither, I suspect you have way over 6.

9tails

Visit site
I suspected a pony saddle and I was right. Echo others that the saddle will never fit your horse. He's had a lucky escape because you could have done a lot of damage parking yourself on that.

ironhorse

Visit site
Yep - agree with the others. I sympathise because if you are in a mainly western yard they do tend to think any old english saddle will do (even in the UK!) Also I wouldn't use that pad - it's a thick hunter/jumper pad intended for showing. The shaped versions (with pockets for the HUS numbers) were sold in the UK when I started out, and they are horribly bulky, affecting the saddle fit. Now we have a saddler who makes much more horse friendly ones for us! If your saddle fits you will only need a light cotton pad underneath it on a QH.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I would be very interested in the seat size of that saddle, I don't believe its smaller than a 16.5, and obviously the saddle should not be too large for the rider. It is because it is sitting so high that it looks tiny, exactly the same reason that such a long girth is needed. I do not believe it's as tiny a saddle as many of you think.

You can use a thicker pad, though i prefer proper sheepskin than the H/J ones, but the saddle must be adjusted to accommodate it.

I suspect you've been a little thrown by our posts, the best you can do is educate yourself about saddle fit, English style, about saddle balance and tree angles as a minimum, then you're better placed to move forwards. I would recommend working with a good fitter, I can recommend one who may work with you remotely and recommend saddles that might fit, based in the US so knows brands available there, and has a superb reputation. A local one, who knows their stuff, would be the ideal. Please pm me if I can help any more, I'm a professional saddle fitter in the UK.

Arrow Caldwell

New User
Visit site
THANKS EVERYONE! Mostly, it is clear to me of my ignorance lol -- When I first posted this, I didnt even realize I was posting a site in the UK! Heehee....I'm blown away by how many responses I got to my paltry little question! ~ But i love the site! I do think, like you said sbloom, that it is a 17" saddle, if that's the measure from front to back of seat. I didnt know there was such thing as a saddler, but makes sense. I would LOVE some help from someone, if even remotely. Is there a "great book" about these things? Otherwise, I feel like my Western fits him properly, so maybe I take that in to a well-reputed saddle vendor? Not sure how I know theyre reliable/where to go, but I'll try to ask around... I'm just re-entering horse world after 30 years of not riding much! How much will I need to spend on a good saddle -- I'm hoping for used so I can more likely afford. sbloom from Suffolk, I'd love your contact! Best, Megan (p.s. I lived in England for 2 years when I was wee lass, Cheatham I believe...)

JFTDWS

Visit site
What ester said, seconded. Would be great if you stuck around - always enjoy seeing nice pony photos, and I'm a sucker for a QH (obviously!).