No harm done

Schollym

Visit site
Reading the storyline about the 11.2 pony being removed from his stable and ridden by a man, who also punched and kicked him. Lancashire police statement that ‘ Following investigations no offences were disclosed’.

When did it become ok to ‘punch, knee and kick’ a pony.

I know that there are many horse riders in this country that do need to look to themselves about their responses to horses but surely an offence was committed here and without some kind of sanction,what is to stop it doing it again or worse?

Mule

Visit site
I believe farriers are allowed by owners to do this? (Or at least used to be, not that long ago.)

A farrier hit one of mine with the rasp once 😱
The horse was putting his weight on the leg that was lifted (he wasn't even doing anything too objectionable). The farrier just lost his temper.
Needless to say he lost a customer that day...

fburton

Visit site
A farrier hit one of mine with the rasp once 😱
The horse was putting his weight on the leg that was lifted (he wasn't even doing anything too objectionable). The farrier just lost his temper.
Needless to say he lost a customer that day...
Quite right too!
He wasn't charged with animal cruelty though, was he? And to be honest, I don't think one would have much chance in bringing a prosecution anyway. :(

Mule

Visit site
Quite right too!
He wasn't charged with animal cruelty though, was he? And to be honest, I don't think one would have much chance in bringing a prosecution anyway. :(
No, I was in so much shock I just asked him to leave. Even if a prosecution was brought I doubt there would be a conviction. Judges are slow to give punishments that would negatively impact a person's way of making a living.

rascal

Visit site
A farrier kicked one of ours really hard, he was told this was unacceptable and never asked to do our horses again!
As for someone riding someones pony, it is wrong, and to get away with kicking him, will just encourage him to do it again.

bonny

Visit site
Leaving the punching and kicking aside, why was it not an offence to take the pony and ride it without permission? It is illegal to do it with someone else’s car.
I’m not sure that we have established that it is illegal, if you left your keys in your car and someone took it for a spin and then returned it, what law would they be breaking ?

fburton

Visit site
According to Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joyride_(crime)

Under English law and other common-law systems, joyriding is not considered to be theft because the intent to "permanently deprive" the vehicle's owner of the vehicle cannot be proven. Instead, joyriding constitutes a separate, statutorily established offense of "taking without consent" or "unauthorized use", the former usually known by the acronym TWOC or the slang term "twoccing" or "twocking" derived from it.

Horses weren't mentioned!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I’m not sure that we have established that it is illegal, if you left your keys in your car and someone took it for a spin and then returned it, what law would they be breaking ?

If it was driven on the road the crime is driving without insurance. I believe it is a crime to take a bicycle and ride it around without consent, too but am willing to be corrected.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Oh, only the usual suspects :rolleyes: Twoc-ing is a thing for a reason - it gets around the intent to permanently deprive aspect nicely.

Reactions: JJS

JFTDWS

Visit site
I don't think there's more than one idiot on this thread... I may be an idiot for feeding the troll - but it does amuse me to poke them with sticks sometimes...

bonny

Visit site
I don't think there's more than one idiot on this thread... I may be an idiot for feeding the troll - but it does amuse me to poke them with sticks sometimes...
Can’t be bothered with this, if you get something out of it then well done