no jumping down my throat...

FionaM12

Visit site
I've noticed the same as I'm new on here, I was even told one of my posts was pointless about barefoot as it had all been discussed before! Obviously you arn't in their clique either OP

I missed your thread at the time, so I've just gone back and read it (well, most of it!). It looks to me that you got a very good response, and quite a discussion followed.

Tbh your original question which started that thread did come across as slightly arrogant to me and you did get one mildly sarcastic response among all the positive ones. I'm sure you didn't mean it to be arrogant (as someone else said, things are easily misconstrued online).

I don't think it was because you "weren't in their clique" or anything sinister and I do think it was explained at the time.

FionaM12

Visit site
Turkish delight always reminds me of that vile moment when you accidentally spray deodorant or perfume in your mouth.
S :D

Recently I accidentally sprayed mouth freshener straight onto my eyelids at very close range. That wasn't anything like Turkish Delight. :eek::eek:

*shudders at the memory*

bensababy

Visit site
I used to think there was cliques in here, but after being here for many years its mainly just what i call "followers" who seem to like following people that they dont like around and posting uneccessary comments to cause a argument.. then the rest jump in. Kind of like vultures on a carcass.

On a nicer note there are some fantastic people in here whom i have had magnificent advice from and some rather funny characters.

Oh the joys.. but what a boring place this would be if we had none of the above!

Gwena

Visit site
As you can see the number of times I have posted are minimal, but I probably come to read this forum at least 2 times a day. Fortunately for me anything I have posted has been met well/nicely. BUT! I have chosen not to post anymore (well obviously apart from now :eek: ) for fear of being ripped to shreds. I do agree whole heartedly with what OP has said and am glad someone has had the nerve to represent what appears to be a lot of people thoughts.
Its such a shame that people are feeling like this because this forum is so very informative place.

Creeping back into my lurkey lair!

PaddyMonty

Visit site
Its just a forum.
There are huge number sof threads that pss off without any issues, give good and varied advice.
Then there are a few that are started with the intention of having a slanging match. These are the ones people seem to remember.

Tinypony

Visit site
I lurked on this forum for quite a while before joining and starting to post. I think it has quite a reputation for being somewhere that you might need a thick skin to take part in. I think there's quite a vocal contingent who are very convinced that they always know best, that "professionals" always know best and are beyond question, and that people who don't necessarily agree with that can't possibly know what they are talking about. Rather like batty old aunties who turn up at family gatherings and spout nonesense after a couple of gins. :))

On other forums people sometimes say "dare you to post that on H+H" because they know that the response will be predictable and, how to put it... robust.

I think if, like me, you come from a slightly different angle at things and are willing to post about it, then you have to be prepared for a bit of a beating from time to time, and for people to get a little bit insulting and personal as they attempt to demonstrate that you can't possibly understand what's being discussed and are at some special needs level when it comes to horsemanship. I don't think there's any point in getting bothered by that and, speaking personally, I find it quite amusing and accept that it's just people being people and getting a bit heated from time to time.

On the other hand, sometimes real gems of threads shine through, where the whole thread is supportive and helpful and nobody feels the need for a pointed remark. So it can be a fun place to be and there are really nice people here.

I sometimes wonder what the forum does for the image of Horse and Hound. !

p.s. I do think that some members attempt to control what others post, but it's quite subtle. They do it by hijacking threads with jokey comments, or posting threads about threads.

Last edited:

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I used to think there was cliques in here, but after being here for many years its mainly just what i call "followers" who seem to like following people that they dont like around and posting uneccessary comments to cause a argument.. then the rest jump in. Kind of like vultures on a carcass.

On a nicer note there are some fantastic people in here whom i have had magnificent advice from and some rather funny characters.

Oh the joys.. but what a boring place this would be if we had none of the above!

Agree with this. There are also those that follow those they do like around, waiting for them to jump on people/be sarcastic and then back them up - as though they haven't the wits to do it themselves..

In an ideal world people should all be polite and respectful of each other in their replies, but unfortunately it doesn't happen. After a while you get an idea of posters, and realise that X always spouts rubbish and Y always laughs at their posts, giving X an overinflated sense of importance. With quite a few people on here I wouldn't even bother reading their posts, just skim through them, and their little followers to read the posts that are useful/interesting.

It is very like a big livery yard! Perhaps thats why I find it so wierd, as I have my horses at home!

Jesstickle

Visit site
I agree Op, hate the let's get pop corn, why post rubbish like that?

Because some of us have been here long enough to have seen it all before and we know where it is going. It's the equivalent to saying 'o no, here we go again' but with less words. It's meant to be funny not something to take offence to!

xxMozlarxx

Visit site
Oh how I agree, having been on the receiving end of asking a perfectly reasonable sensible question where the first response was "no one on the forum can help you" I watch with interest and now amusement how the power dynamics play out. Some people are just rude and pride themselves on it, their followers egg them on it's all quite cringeworthy and sad.
This thread is a good example of it, the OP is not, it appears, allowed to say that she doesn't wish to be jumped on and attacked on this post..read the veiled criticism that she gets for it. If you've read it all before and 'know' where it's going then move on..there's plenty more topics to read, why make people feel bad by taking the mickey which is what is really happening with the little 'in' jokes.
There's a sense of group if people who feel they own the forum and everyone else are idiots. Not good.

sophiebailey

Visit site
I agree with both sides of the arguement here in that;

If people are posting asking for opinions, they're going to get opinions :) Just because someone's opinion/answer isn't the one you were hoping to get doesn't mean you're being picked on, it just means someone's offering you a different perspective from your own and trying to open your mind to different ways/methods etc etc etc. There's never only ONE way to do something with horses, and with the wealth of knowledge and experience on this forum you're never going to get everyone to agree.

HOWEVER :)

On the other side of the arguement, people are FAR too quick to assume a poster is being arrogant etc etc etc, i think people need to remember that not everyone has near perfect written communication skills and so might not communicate a question in the way you would; that doesn't make them a target for sarcastic and b***y replies, if you're unsure of the tone of a post, then ask before you comment! I also agree that just lately alot of people are participating in the the "vulture" effect, one person swoops on the carcass and the rest of the pack follow! If you don't have anything constructive or helpful to offer then don't post :\ Posting "get's popcorn" etc etc implies that you've spotted something in a post that you believe is "arguement worthy" and you're inviting other people to pick up on this and run with it.

So, that's my two pence worth!

For the record, all of my posts i've received wonderful replies to, I like that people always have different opinions as it gives me so many more ideas and things to try than if I were to get one answer! The replies i've had have always been polite, helpful and really useful so I'm not basing my opinions above on personal experience, just what i've read :) It might also help to remember that I don't have regular access to a PC and so post from my phone quite alot of the time - my phone doesn't have a 'forum search' option so something I might be asking a question somebody else has already asked. If so, link me to that thread and i'll gladly read that one :)

XXX

Last edited:

PaddyMonty

Visit site
The real problem with forums (not just HHO) is
Far too many opinions arrived at with little / no rational or logical thought that are then spouted as fact.

This is JMHO and I believe I am entitled to it. :p

Jesstickle

Visit site
This thread is a good example of it, the OP is not, it appears, allowed to say that she doesn't wish to be jumped on and attacked on this post..read the veiled criticism that she gets for it. If you've read it all before and 'know' where it's going then move on..there's plenty more topics to read, why make people feel bad by taking the mickey which is what is really happening with the little 'in' jokes.
There's a sense of group if people who feel they own the forum and everyone else are idiots. Not good.

Of course she can say it. But I don't have to listen to her, just like I wouldn't have to in RL either :confused: Nor does anyone else. Sometimes if you post something people will disagree and just saying 'don't crit me' isn't ever going to save you as people are entitled to voice their opinion. Saying it rather than just moving on isn't bullying someone. It is, often, making a valid point the OP does not wish to hear. Would you rather we all just agree on absolutely everything?

Plenty of new posters are welcomed with open arms by everyone. I was new once and no one was every sarky with me either. If you make at least some effort not to ask stupid questions (yes, the forum does have a search function, and yes anyone can use it), not to say deliberately inflammatory things and occasionally admit you were wrong, I think the forum is a pretty fair and pleasant place to be :confused:

xxMozlarxx

Visit site
Lots of people come on here not understanding how it works maybe ?? They perhaps don't know about the search or as has already been said, are on their phones? In any case, who decides what is a stupid question? You??
This says it all really. :(

PolarSkye

Visit site
One thing I notice is when a new poster comes on, sometimes regulars respond taking the p*** with "in" jokes, which can be very funny if you understand the reference. If you don't, they are at best confusing and rather rude and at worst upsetting.

Mostly I think people are welcomed and lots of excellent advice is given, but there are times I think people can be a bit thoughtless.

This! There are times when this place feels like a 5th-form common room at an all girls' school . . . and not in a good way. Healthy debate is one thing . . . there have been times recently when we've veered into "baiting" . . . which is not the same thing.

P

Shantara

Visit site
Just proof that what the OP said is true. Ned did something fantastic today that I never thought we'd be able to do. I wrote the thread, found the pictures...but I couldn't bring myself to press post.
I want to show you and tell you what great things he's doing, but I can't open myself up for another verbal beating.

Milanesa

Visit site
GoOd post OP I agree with you. Mozlar very true too, can't quote as I am on phone. You know what they say-
'if you haven't got anything nice to say- DONT say it 'lol. There are tons of nice genuine posters on here though which I love to see, just ignore the others.