"no name" heavy duty clippers - any good?

Jingleballs

Visit site
I have a set of Moser Avalon clippers because C used to be terrified of the clippers so I needed a small, quiet set to get him used to them. He's fine now and I think I need to invest in more heavy duty clippers as although the avalon clippers get the job done he gets so hairy that I think I might need a bigger set of clippers.

I was looking on ebay and there seem to be lots of different "no name/brand" cattle/horse clippers that look fairly robust for a really low price.

Like these for example - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electrica...t=UK_Horse_Wear_Equipment&hash=item2eb6b9c9aa

Has anyone every used anything like this? My friend bought a similar set years ago and said that they were good although the blades weren't great but she was able to buy better blades and they lasted her years.

Does anyone have any experience of suggestions of good heavy duty clippers that won't break the bank?

team barney

Visit site
I have a set of Moser Avalon clippers because C used to be terrified of the clippers so I needed a small, quiet set to get him used to them. He's fine now and I think I need to invest in more heavy duty clippers as although the avalon clippers get the job done he gets so hairy that I think I might need a bigger set of clippers.

I was looking on ebay and there seem to be lots of different "no name/brand" cattle/horse clippers that look fairly robust for a really low price.

Like these for example - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electrica...t=UK_Horse_Wear_Equipment&hash=item2eb6b9c9aa

Has anyone every used anything like this? My friend bought a similar set years ago and said that they were good although the blades weren't great but she was able to buy better blades and they lasted her years.

Does anyone have any experience of suggestions of good heavy duty clippers that won't break the bank?

Some of the clippers sold on ebay aren't electrically safe and can be quite dangerous to use.

Have a read through this link... http://www.yourhorse.co.uk/Community-Landing/Forum-Landing/Forum-Categories/Topic/?topic-id=7505

Jingleballs

Visit site
Think I'll order the masterclip ones - they are uk made and you get a years warranty with them plus the after service seems good - the cheap ones are good in theory but wouldn't want to risk buying dodgy clippers!

ofcourseyoucan

Visit site
i would suggest you buy a pair of wolsley, or lister or heigner clippers. none are cheap ut do the job well and ofer good warenties.

Jingleballs

Visit site
I have ordered the Masterclip Rangers - they should be here tomorrow so I'll report back on how well the cope with clipping hairy pony!

Shear Ease

www.sheareaseltd.com
Although you cant tar every clipper with the same brush, no name clippers generally mean, no experience, no standards and sometimes no safety.
No namers are usually cheap, inferior quality copies. I'd go with the originals, what you may lose in the original purchase you gain in longevity. The spares are easy to come by for proper brands also.

I always think also there is a slight moral issue when a branded company works hard to create and develop a winning clipper through hard work, experience and expertise, only for someone with non of the above to copy their hard work and change only the minimum to avoid any patent issues.

Business is business at the end of the day but I'd choose a clipping expert over a patent loophole expert to make my clippers every time.

Jane_Lou

Visit site
I looked at the masterclip ones at Burghley last year as I thought my ancient liveryman arena plus clippers had died (turned out to just need a new cord :)) I found the more powerful ones didn't feel balanced in my hand that is really important to me. The lower powered ones were balanced but I did a lot of clipping at the time so I really needed the more powerful ones.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
I bought the masterclip clippers last year and they have done 4 full clips 2 each on my guys, and they have just done a blanket on a friends pony today and clip very hairy horses really well.

I got told not to buy them but at £40 quid a clip and two horses I was cheaper buying these that to pay someone else.

Last edited by a moderator:

SVMel

Visit site
Although not in same box etc, mine look pretty much identical to these. Had 'Dextella' on the box when I got them, new and cheap of ebay. They have been great, no complaints, although a little heavy. But that could just be me being a weakling lol!

Hope you do well with yours!

L&M

Visit site
Replaced my ancient Heinigers with the Masterclip Ranger - I have been very impressed and have had no problems at all. They are a little heavy and noisy so may not be ideal for a horse that is nervous to clip, but other than that cannot criticise (the blades are cheaper to replace to).