No riding for another 6-8 weeks - what to do with horse?

Scheherezade

Visit site
I fractured my arm 6 weeks ago and had a metal plate and 12 pins put in. In fracture clinic today the Dr said I have another 6-8 weeks recovery and to stay away from horses (fat chance).

I came off as my horse bolted while I was mounting. Very high strung and green 9yo ginger WB. Bit of a stress head but we have a nice bond. He gets separation anxiety from his field mate as he lives out and hasn't done much ridden work before I got him so I'm going to practise bringing in for a carrot and groom so he gets used to coming in as a nice thing.

Can anyone recommend good groundwork exercises to be doing which will help schooling for when I get on? Maybe something to help with standing, any kind of lunging exercises in particular, bearing in mind I have to go easy on my right arm.

Thoughts?

skewbaldmillie

Visit site
I fractured my arm 6 weeks ago and had a metal plate and 12 pins put in. In fracture clinic today the Dr said I have another 6-8 weeks recovery and to stay away from horses (fat chance).

I came off as my horse bolted while I was mounting. Very high strung and green 9yo ginger WB. Bit of a stress head but we have a nice bond. He gets separation anxiety from his field mate as he lives out and hasn't done much ridden work before I got him so I'm going to practise bringing in for a carrot and groom so he gets used to coming in as a nice thing.

Can anyone recommend good groundwork exercises to be doing which will help schooling for when I get on? Maybe something to help with standing, any kind of lunging exercises in particular, bearing in mind I have to go easy on my right arm.

Thoughts?
Might be worth trying some of the parelli games, I wasn't into all the natural horsemanship stuff but they actually seem to make sense. That way you can also have him taught to stand still (rock solid) before you next ride and hopefully (not guaranteed but worth a try) it shouldn't happen again!

Leo Walker

Visit site
Clicker training. Most horses love it as its fun for them and involves lots of rewards. Once you have done the basics you can shape any behaviour you want. My little fat cob learnt the basics of Spanish Walk in 3 sessions, we still cant get a proper leg up walk , but we do have an amazing leg up, stomp at a standstill :lol: He also knows back, and over from a finger point, as well as stand and touch this etc. We only do it every now and again and he doesnt forget. I really enjoy it because he really enjoys it, and the fact it improves his overall behaviour is fab :) Its also good for improving your timing no end

CMcC

Visit site
Might be worth trying some of the parelli games, I wasn't into all the natural horsemanship stuff but they actually seem to make sense. That way you can also have him taught to stand still (rock solid) before you next ride and hopefully (not guaranteed but worth a try) it shouldn't happen again!
Agree, the 7 games give a good structure to groundwork, you can see progression and very practical eg standing to be mounted.

Leo Walker

Visit site
if you have a look on youtube there are loads of videos. I knew how to do it as I clicker train my dogs, but its not hard. You just need to get your timing right and start with the very basics of not mugging etc. Once you both understand the basic marking technique you can adapt it to teach them anything :) We do trick training as I'm disabled and dont ride much and hes a mega bright pony type so needs his brain occupied!

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site

Thoughts?

Having done a major break in the last few years my plate and screws was postponed due to going to many dr in the hospital having different opinions so it was only after 3 months before I went for surgery. I was not allowed to do anything due to risk of disturbing the healing I would say take it easy and don't do anything silly and pay someone to school it or friend to hack. If you fall - bump or anything you could make your injury worse

Last edited: