paulapup

Visit site
Hi, I am in the UK, I have a 31 year old cushings pony, he is very lively and
has lived out last 2 years even in summer had no laminitis, he was on 250
micrograms of pergolide, in March we ran his blood and the results where ACTH
103.0 pg/ml his insulin 39.6 mIU/L,I think the seasonal level is 29, we upped
his dose to 500 micrograms, half a tablet Prascend, like I
said he is really well in himself, but he his losing weight, I feed him
Equibeet, Dengie HI-FI lite and I have started adding micronised linseed, I also
add Magnesium, cinamon, and a little angus cactus, yesterday he had two teeth
pulled out they where loose, he cannot chew hay now but seems better on grass
what weights and any suggested feeds would be welcomed,he will probably have to
survive on his bucket feeds now,he does manage these well,chews it drops it then
finally manages to eat it, he is a 11.2hh welsh
pony thankyou Paula:)

be positive

Visit site
Allen and Page Fast Fibre is safe to feed a cushings pony and can be used as a hay replacer.
The only problem I have is that our old pony doesnt like it,all the others in the yard are fine with it so give it a try for yours.

Visit site
I am using Happy hoof for a nearly toothless pone, have tried various ready grass,alfa A etc
but he doesnt like it or cant cope with it. Also tried Allen and page fast fibre mixed with veteran chaff

Last edited:

Brandy

Visit site
My old horse has teeth, but for ease of eating and digestion, i feed Allen and Lage fast fibre and veteran vitality. They both come in pellet form, and soak in 1 - 3 minutes. My boy loves both of them. If you email the Allen and Page feeding advice, they are really very helpful.

whisp&willow

Visit site
i got lots of advice on a thread similar recently...

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=484293&highlight=feeding+golden+oldies

i have moved tego onto allen and page veteran vitality, and fast fibre (3kg split between 2 feeds) with the last of the bag of spillers senior conitioning mix. and a wee bit of sugar beet, some oil and a bit of salt.

she gets this all soaked to form a mash and wolfs it down no problems! she is 40... something and has lost lots of teeth, the remaining ones are so smooth that they are ineffective!

since starting her on the fast fibre and veteran vitality i feel she has improved in body and spirit! :) she has put on a bit of meat over her spine, shoulder and hips. still a way to go yet though.

with regards your horse i dont think that veteran vitality is suitable for lami or cushings sufferers?? i emailed allen and page and they sent me out lots of great info and some samples. :) ;) which was a lovely surprise!! :D

good luck, and let us know how you get on! ;)

ets: you might be better with the fast fibre rather than chaf/alfa a. tego wouldnt bother trying to eat her bucket with chaff in it- even the very fine chopped stuff.
vicki. x

fatpiggy

Visit site
Until a couple of years ago I had a 44 year old in my care. She had no useful teeth apart from her front nippers. She did well on grass but couldn't manage any long fibre. I fed her twice daily on (each feed)4lbs of soaked, hi-fibre nuts, 1lb soaked (dry weight) sugar beet, 2lbs soaked veteran mix with well chopped apples and carrots. At night I left her with a full rubber bucket of Happy Hoof (about 3lbs weight) on top of this. Had she needed it I would have added oil but she did just fine. She lived out all year round with no shelter (not my choice) so relied on decent rugs. She was about 13hh (shrunk with age!) and weighed over 700lbs at her fattest which was perfect and in fact I used to have to put her on a bit of diet when the spring grass came through.

little_critter

Visit site
Def speak to Allen & Page and see if they'll come out to you. I got a whole (full size) bag of Fast Fibre as a free sample! (pony loves it even though I think it looks boring)

Brandy

Visit site
Just as a little hijack to this thread, does anyone know the weight of a stubbs scoop of fast fibre and veteran vitality? I am feeding according to how mu boy looks but just wondered at the weights.

tristar

Visit site
if losing weight the best thing i know to use is boiled food! and when you think about it its the very easiest of foods to digest, and of course require minimal chewing.

i find boiled linseed that you cook yourself is better then micronized, you can also cook whole barley grains, very fattening in the same way, and oats, like a porridge, or mix linseed and barley.
whole uncooked linseeds should be boiled for a certain time to remove a chemical not suited to horses, worth the effort they really are wonder foods for condition.

mga4ever

Visit site
All our oldies are on ready mash extra. This keeps them looking really well in the winter and since it is fed as a mash iy is brilliant for ponies with no teeth.

dunkley

Visit site
Just to add............... use a food processor on the finest fitting and grate some carrots! It mixes in well to the soaked food, and the toothless wonders don't miss out on a basic, well-appreciated treat!

Amy1990

Visit site
Our old rescue Shetland is 28 and has hardly any teeth left, she was fine up until last winter when her weight really started to drop, she responded well to Fast Fibre, as its mixed with water its soft and easy for them to eat and worked wonders for her
(she went from skinny and frail last winter to winning a veteran class this summer)

paulapup

Visit site
Our old rescue Shetland is 28 and has hardly any teeth left, she was fine up until last winter when her weight really started to drop, she responded well to Fast Fibre, as its mixed with water its soft and easy for them to eat and worked wonders for her
(she went from skinny and frail last winter to winning a veteran class this summer)

thats lovely I have emailed allen and page they have told me safe to feed cushings pony and asked for adress to send a voucher, very good customer service, glad your oldie is doing so well:)