No wonder dogs get banned

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
We went for a walk on the beach this morning followed by breakfast in a wonderful cafe that's dog friendly. Halfway through our breakfast a group come in, one has a huge Swissie/Bernese (sorry not sure which) and another has a medium sized mongrel and they sit down next to us, with the Swissie right next to our dogs, who of course want to say hello. They could easily have put the dogs at the other side of the table where there were no other dogs.
I keep Juno on a very short leash and I was trying to eat my breakfast so was being pulled around. Then the guy with the mongrel brings his dog over (complete with harness saying "Daddy's Girl" on one side and "Trouble" on the other) to meet and greet Juno. I did politely ask him to take his dog away as I was trying to eat my breakfast, which he did but as both dogs were on long leashes they kept coming over.
Both the dogs had been in the water and they absolutely stank. I love my dogs but the smell of wet dog is absolutely rank.
They did stay away after one sauntered over while Juno was getting a bit of sausage as she resource guards so wasn't very friendly at that point.

Last edited:

Clodagh

Visit site
We were having lunch at a pub on Exmoor on Wednesday, we didn’t have a dog with us, a couple walked in with a wolfhound, it was huge and it stunk. It then panted hysterically so the smell of hot doggy breath even overtook the smell of elderly shaggy dog. Gross! It put me off my food.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I go into cafes and restaurants for a bit of peace and quiet away from the little darlings ?

One is a total pest for food and attention and the other one has much more important adventures to be going on instead of sitting quietly at peace for more than 30 seconds, I wouldn't inflict that on anyone!!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
There are a few places near us that encourage dogs and dogs walkers - probably because there are a lot of places locally to walk a dog. Several of them have undercover areas which are well used at this time of the year.

We took ours out for breakfast on Monday. When we got to the 'conservatory', there was already a table taken by 2 people and 2 puggy things. The pugs started yapping while we were still outside, no-one stopped them. We took our 3 to the opposite corner and sat them down out of the way. the 2 pugs were allowed to get nearer and nearer to us, still yapping intermittently. there would have been plenty of room for them to sit between the table and the window, as ours were doing on the other side of the room but the two women were far too busy with their conversation to take any notice.
Yet we have been there when there has been at least one dog at every table in there and no noise at all.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
We go to lots of places that allow dogs, as we take ours with us most places it's a necessity. Generally we don't have a problem, because Juno is so unusual we get people stopping to talk to us a lot. I don't mind except, again when I'm in the middle of dinner. I think it's just rude to stop to talk to people when they're eating.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
What is it with people that think a pair of strange dogs would like to be dragged face to face to 'say hello'? And especially so when that dog is huge, wet and stinky.

I am very grateful for dog friendly restaurants as I often holiday in the UK alone and won't leave dogs alone in the holiday cottage/tent/dad's flat, so they help to stop me from starving to death. :p

Arzada

Visit site
Yes well 'Dogs Welcome' means different things to different people including those who think it means that their dogs can do anything they choose eg our experience in a pub where the neighbouring table thought it OK to allow their 2 JRTs on to their table to eat off the plates. Until the landlord informed them otherwise

Last edited:

Goldenstar

Visit site
I really go everywhere with Dram .
if a Hotel is not dog friendly I go elsewhere .
However even I wince at what people allow their dogs to do .
If your dog has bad manners or issues don’t take into a restaurant that seems simple however it does not seem how it works .
I would not feed a dog who resource guards in a restaurant .

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I was absolutely mortified one day when I suggested to a colleague who had brought her dogs with her in the car, rather than leave them at home for a long day, that we go to a dog friendly cafe, that have taken my dogs to, several times, between meetings. She agreed and we got to the car park and then had to go to find some bags to clean up after them because she hadn't brought any. Things went downhill from there. We entered the indoor dog-friendly eating area, which fortunately only had one occupied table and the border collie promptly put its front feet on the table. Owner struggled to get the bloody thing under control, while the Goldie was snuffling around to see if any crumbs had been left on the floor. It was a nightmare and I was glad that I had opted only for coffee, at least the dogs weren't interested in that.

When I have taken the Rottweilers there we have always sat on sofas with the dogs sitting by the coffee table between us and it never occurs to them to try to take food that hasn't been offered to them. They always have a blanket to sit on, so that they know where they need to be and wait until the humans have finished eating when they know they will be offered a spare chip or two..

Tinkerbee

Visit site
I'm lucky to have a good variety of dog friendly cafes, bakeries and restaurants locally but I'm never keen on dog interactions inside them, seems like a recipe for lost bacon at best. And equally I don't go in if we're very muddy or wet, and we (ridgeback, pointer and a terrier) sat outside today instead of inside because no one needs that much dog up in their cappuccino ?

GSD Woman

Visit site
In the USA we can't take non service dogs into indoor food places. Most of the patios allow them. But we have a glut of stupid dog owners so I usually avoid those places. And don't get me started on people who don't pick up...
If it isn't hot I'll go inside and leave the dogs in the car but I put up sun reflectors, have the windows partially open and use the vent lock.

paisley

Visit site
Having come back from Republic of Ireland where dog friendly pubs/cafes are like rocking horse poo, I am very, very grateful for places that let dogs in.
We have the 'Best behaviour, shuddup and lie down!' rule but the only grief I get is that I bring something soft to sit on for his skinny whippet bum and apparently a dog on his blanket minding his own business is free rein for anyone to mither him ?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
........... and, no bias here you understand, I would much prefer to share an eatery with someone else's dogs than somebody's badly behaved kids.
I dislike badly behaved children or dogs, whether in an eatery or elsewhere. I am bemused at the OP feeding her ‘resource guarding’ dog in an eatery in public, that is a recipe for disaster and very unfair on the dog and passing members of the public. But I never feed any dogs from the table anyway.

SusieT

Visit site
In general I find cafes that are overtly dog friendly/welcoming encourage over friendly dogs and people - in saying that I dont really think any people or dog reactive dogs- or dogs who are going to be fed when they resource guard (the mind boggle why anyone would think this is a good idea!) should be in tight enclosed indoor spaces with so many unknown variables. I dont see anything wrong as such with people/dogs being over friendly if everyone else is up for it which most of the time in these cafes they are.
If you are a bit sensitive about what dogs are near your dogs I think you should avoid places where there will be other dogs likely in close proximity- if you are not happy for another dog to sit next to/be interested in a friendly way in your dog I would suggest you dont use dog friendly cafes.
I wouldn't go near my local one as it would drive me made other dogs poking my (friendly) dogs or people wanting to interact with me/the.

{97702}

Visit site
Having come back from Republic of Ireland where dog friendly pubs/cafes are like rocking horse poo, I am very, very grateful for places that let dogs in.
We have the 'Best behaviour, shuddup and lie down!' rule but the only grief I get is that I bring something soft to sit on for his skinny whippet bum and apparently a dog on his blanket minding his own business is free rein for anyone to mither him ?

oh Paisley.... silly you.... it’s because he is a whippy, and all whippys are gorgeous and huggable and MINE really and I want to take them all home ???