Nodding/head shaking

Blodwyn

Visit site
Please help....

Harvey is getting really bad at nodding his head up and down, he seems to only do it when no one is with him, kind of like attention seeking but we have tried hanging water bottles, apples and now have a rope halfway up his door but its not working, has anyone got any ideas? does any one have a horse that does this? this wont turn into another bad habbit like windsuckng will it?

xx

Ahrena

Visit site
A Haffy I trained once used to do that whenever anyone came over to give him attention but hadn't reached him yet. He did it in the field and in the stable..I'm not sure why, it was almost like banging the door but not, because he knew he was about to get attention.

I didn't regard it as a vice though, and nor did the people who bought him later on.

steffielu

Visit site
My horse has done this for years (he used to weave, but started nodding instead when i put an anti-weave grill up!) - and it is really irritating! He does it when he's waiting to be turned out or fed, and if he see's me fussing over another horse instead of him!
The only thing that helps is just to ignore it, shouting makes him agitated and so he nods even more....and i usually give him something to keep him entertained like a nut-ball or small holed net of haylage if he's got to stay in. Plenty of turnout, a good routine and ad-lib hay is all i can suggest!
In my neds case it hasnt developed into anything worse.