Noise reactive dog

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
We need a bit of help, does anyone have any suggestions for a collie with a large issue with thunderstorms that is getting worse the older she gets.

Is is now 4, dizapam from the vets does not work anymore. We are trying her on something called Silco which is the dog version of sedalin and it didn't work today. We have to put her harness on etc and nearly sit on her as she will go into a blind panic and climb up things with out thinking, including a cooker with an open flame.

I am wary of crating her for it as do not want to make her panic more but with the right help will give it a ago.

We just need to understand how to calm her down, we are going to try the rex specs ear defenders and see if they help.

She is the same with fireworks.

Any ideas?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
When we got Hector he was like this, even with a loud TV.

We crated him, and put a blanket over the crate. At least he couldn't hurt himself/us/escape while he was in there.

After a while, we out the crate under the stairs (open ended but a bit more restricted in view and noise. We would also set a computer up that played dog TV, or play music for him.

He grew out of it.

Sandstone1

Visit site
Have you tried a thunder shirt? Also you can get a cd with noises on so you can play very low to slowly get them used to it. Adaptil spray or collar? safe quiet place to hide?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I would put the dog in the crate with a blanket over, turn on the radio/TV with voices and music, if necessary pull the curtains on in that room and go about your normal business, run the vacuum cleaner, washer, drier etc to drown out the outside noises. I wouldn't have a dog in the kitchen with a hot cooker in any circumstances.

skinnydipper

Visit site
If you fastened a dog in a crate who tries to escape noise and run for its life, it could badly injure itself trying to get out of a crate. You could try to create a den with a covered crate and leave the door open but the dog may not wish to use it.

A dog in a rescue kennel lost several teeth trying to escape due to noise. Another dog trying to escape from a crate had to be cut free by firemen after he got his jaw stuck in the wire.

You could ask your vet for Alprazolam (Xanax). It can be given as a one off. It can also be given to cover longer periods, ie over the firework season, then you would need to gradually decrease the dose as per manufacturers instructions. It must not be stopped abruptly if it is given for more than a few days as that could trigger seizures. Alprazolam has a memory erasure effect which is better for the dog.

Last edited:

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
I would put the dog in the crate with a blanket over, turn on the radio/TV with voices and music, if necessary pull the curtains on in that room and go about your normal business, run the vacuum cleaner, washer, drier etc to drown out the outside noises. I wouldn't have a dog in the kitchen with a hot cooker in any circumstances.

Our down stairs is open plan, it wasn't a choice she just flipped when thunder suddenly appeared.

She is never in the kitchen when cooking normally as she is upstairs with my brother sleeping or outside sleeping.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
If you fastened a dog in a crate who tries to escape noise and run for its life, it could badly injure itself trying to get out of a crate. You could try to create a den with a covered crate and leave the door open but the dog may not wish to use it.

A dog in a rescue kennel lost several teeth trying to escape due to noise. Another dog trying to escape from a crate had to be cut free by firemen after he got his jaw stuck in the wire.

You could ask your vet for Alprazolam (Xanax). It can be given as a one off. It can also be given to cover longer periods, ie over the firework season, then you would need to gradually decrease the dose as per manufacturers instructions. It must not be stopped abruptly if it is given for more than a few days as that could trigger seizures. Alprazolam has a memory erasure effect which is better for the dog.

Thank you.

We are wary of crating her with how bad she is for this reason.

Will Xanax bring the adrenaline down quickly? As thats the main problem, once her adrenaline gets up we have lost all reasoning.

skinnydipper

Visit site
Thank you.

We are wary of crating her with how bad she is for this reason.

Will Xanax bring the adrenaline down quickly? As thats the main problem, once her adrenaline gets up we have lost all reasoning.

Ideally it should be given 30 to 60 minutes before an expected event but can be given to help calm the dog when she is already upset from a thunderstorm or fireworks that you had not anticipated.

There is an app called My Lightening Tracker which you might find helpful. It will alert you of lightening in your area within a distance that you can set. It shows the strikes on a map.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
IME dogs that are frightened of loud noises search for dark places to hide, so if you can get her used to a dark crate when there is no loud noise, she is likely to head for her 'safe place' when she is frightened.

We had a crate without a door on for our old collies den, it had a bed and blankets over it so was a nice dark den and she would go in for a minute then come charging out. It only came down when we lost the old man two ish months ago.

And we have other areas set up for a den for her and they are not something she will settle in.

Umbongo

Visit site
Have you thought about a longer term anxiolytic medication (one that is given everyday rather than just before the event) and training to condition her to certain noises. You can play them from youtube. TBH if it is that bad and getting worse, I would seek help from a qualified behavourist, Your vet may be able to refer you to the right person and the behaviourist will be able to get your vet to prescribe the right sort of medication to help with the conditioning process. You won't always know when fireworks or a storm are about to start, so this may be the best option. Even a proper intravenous/intramuscular sedation at the vets doesn't always work 100% on already very wound up and nervous or aggressive patients. So giving a one off oral drug at home when she is already upset is unlikely to have the desired affect. Would also agree with allowing her freedom to hide in a den and a thundershirt.

Last edited:

Clodagh

Visit site
. I wouldn't have a dog in the kitchen with a hot cooker in any circumstances.

How on earth do you not have dogs in the kitchen? ?. What about people with range ovens? Or open plan living areas?

sorry OP I’ve no suggestions for you, but I would certainly try to make a den space. My lurcher was bad, and got worse, I used to shut her in a room with curtains drawn and music. Yours sounds worse though, poor thing.

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
We haven’t had many storms since we’ve had Bo, but he hates fireworks. We got him a thundershirt last year, and it’s really helped, along with the pet remedy plug-ins.

Ellie has shown signs of stress/anxiety in general since we’ve had her. It got close to breaking point for us if I’m honest. Speaking to the vet, the plug-ins are in use again, and she’s also taking Yu-calm. It has definitely made a difference. I am going to start Bo on the tablets, around mid October and see if it helps him, along with the thundershirt.

We can’t shut the dogs out of the kitchen when we are cooking!

BallyRoanBaubles

Visit site
We haven’t had many storms since we’ve had Bo, but he hates fireworks. We got him a thundershirt last year, and it’s really helped, along with the pet remedy plug-ins.

Ellie has shown signs of stress/anxiety in general since we’ve had her. It got close to breaking point for us if I’m honest. Speaking to the vet, the plug-ins are in use again, and she’s also taking Yu-calm. It has definitely made a difference. I am going to start Bo on the tablets, around mid October and see if it helps him, along with the thundershirt.

We can’t shut the dogs out of the kitchen when we are cooking!

Sorry to derail the thread but was it a 'proper' thundershirt you bought?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
How on earth do you not have dogs in the kitchen? ?. What about people with range ovens? Or open plan living areas?

Very easily!.. Our dogs are fed in the kitchen but they are not allowed near the oven particularly not when, as OP said, there are burners on. We have a range cooker, dogs go through our kitchen, they are not encouraged to linger and I loathe open plan spaces for the very reason that you can't shut the dogs out of the way.

Esmae

Visit site
Agree entirely.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I think you could start crate training her. Start with feeding her in there, make it a lovely place to be.

We did firework training with my bil’s puppy, lots of reassurance and treats. I find if I react in any way, a bit like when you tense up when riding, it makes the dog worse. With the current pups, I wandered round the garden when there were fireworks, ignoring the noise. That would be overload for your girl, obviously. I hope you find something that works. My childhood dog used to just run in blind panic, I know how terrifying it is for them and you.