Non-dressage saddles for dressage?

Gingernags

Visit site
I know its only unafilliated and is a riding club dressage series I'm going to do - but will me show saddle be reasonable for doing dressage in? I did one last year in my VSD GP but no longer use it, and I bought a show saddle last year.

Thoughts?

I know end of the day its not exactly grand prix level but I don't want to look like a total numpty!!!

KatB

Visit site
Should be fine! Alot of people do it in a GP saddle, and at our first one day, I did dressage in my jump saddle!! So really would be no problem, all a dressage saddle is for is to support your position, and free up the horses shoulder, which your show saddle would do anyway!! Good luck!!
grin.gif

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
I seen plenty of people at unaffiliated level in jumping and GP saddles so I really wouldnt worry about it.

Would be stupid to expect those who are just trying out whether or not they like the discipline, to buy dressage saddles
smile.gif

Baileysno1

Visit site
I have a jeffries stamford show saddle and use it for unaffilated, a woman at the riding club has the same saddle and uses it for affiliated dressage most weekends. I love mine I use it for everything.

Gingernags

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Don't forget your diamante browband...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah now sadly as I changed to havana tack last year for showing, I don't have any bling! Well, I do in a way, I have this...

tastefulbling.jpg

But its not really dressagey is it? And her show bridle is a hunter bridle (and working hunter straight cut saddle)

I guess we'll look nice and plain and tidy instead!

fairhill

Visit site
That's almost a bling browband! I like the glitter...

I think you'll look very smart in your hunter tack, personally I prefer to keep it all as unobtrusive as possible...

paintsplat05

Visit site
i once did dressage in an appaloosa jumping saddle and it was fine! did unaff prelim tests on my old pony in a synthetic gp saddle all the time and as long as you look smart and tidy you're fine!

Nic

Visit site
I do dressage in my single panel xc saddle, the horse is happier in it than his (now sold) Albion dressage saddle. As long as you & pony are happy in it then no one that matters will judge you.