Non horsey parents think everything a waste of money

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I pay my own way, just tired of the constant jibes and petty remarks. It wears you down eventually!

I just choose to let it wash over me. My mum is amazingly supportive but my dad less so. He just doesn't get it and is the sort that will regularly ask why after 22 years of riding I still need lessons. At the end of the day I work hard and pay my way so couldn't care less what he or anyone else thinks.

EllenJay

Visit site
I am so blessed with my non-horsey parents. A number of years ago, following a divorce, I was completely skint, and was worrying about how I could pay for the bills, food etc. At the time I had a horse on loan that I was giving up as I couldn't afford him. My lovely dad loaned me a £1000 to get myself out of the mire, and also paid the weekly money to loan the horse. His reasoning was that my life was pretty dire and I needed something to lift my spirits.

Dad understood the benefits of a peaceful soul. Miss him loads

Equi

Visit site
I just choose to let it wash over me. My mum is amazingly supportive but my dad less so. He just doesn't get it and is the sort that will regularly ask why after 22 years of riding I still need lessons. At the end of the day I work hard and pay my way so couldn't care less what he or anyone else thinks.

Lol yeah my mum would ask why i need them. My dad says ok to lessons but i don't actually tell him what they cost! I think he thinks they are still a fiver from when i was a kid getting babysat...i mean getting healthy exercise... at the RS!

Equi

Visit site
I am so blessed with my non-horsey parents. A number of years ago, following a divorce, I was completely skint, and was worrying about how I could pay for the bills, food etc. At the time I had a horse on loan that I was giving up as I couldn't afford him. My lovely dad loaned me a £1000 to get myself out of the mire, and also paid the weekly money to loan the horse. His reasoning was that my life was pretty dire and I needed something to lift my spirits.

Dad understood the benefits of a peaceful soul. Miss him loads

<3<3

AmieeT

Visit site
My parents adore my pony, but they just cannot grasp the concept of me paying to keep a horse that I don't own. It took me 3 months to tell them I had him (I dropped the bomb on Xmas eve- buses don't run boxing day and I needed a lift because I didn't drive at the time... :S ).

They hate me spending money on him, but they know that it makes me happy and I love him.

They also know I'll tell them to mind their own business, as it's my money and I'll spend it how I see fit.

Ax

*sprinkles*

Visit site
I'm incredibly lucky that my own parents and hubby despite being entirely non-horsey are extremely tolerant and understanding of the money pit that is my two horses. My mother-in-law however ... She thinks it's absurd. She thinks all my animals are absurd haha !! A waste of money and time. Even the dogs she cannot understand why we have/"need" two dogs. I think she's absurd quite frankly but I try to keep that opinion to myself. A little more of a live-and-let-live attitude is necessary I think. After all, it's nobodies business what you decide to spend your hard earned money on and your time doing. I do what I love, what makes me happy. I have no children and won't ever have any so all the money people usually pour into their kids I choose to spend on my beloved animals. Where's the harm? It's actually doing me a helluva lot of good, keeping me sane LOL !!

misskk88

Visit site
Most of my family are not horsey people, but have their own hobbies (dad- football, uncle- bike, another uncle- cars etc). My love has always been equines and it is where my spare time has always been spent. Granted my hobby is more expensive- but I can bet if I did not spend it on horses I would easily spend it elsewhere!

I have been riding over 15 years and had my own for nearly 7... in all the time mum has never grown out of telling me to 'be careful' or asking why I 'even want to own a horse with the bills they cost'... oh and I usually get 'why don't you just have your lessons, I think you could spend your money on something better- you could have saved for a house by now'. To which I explained that my cats blood tests and vaccinations cost more than my horses this year, and that is what insurance is for! I think my mum thought I would always grow out of horses, and she still thinks I might (errmmm no!).

I can pretty much garauntee though that a visit to the yard will have mum 'awwing' and cuddling my horse. She absolutely adores my old gelding, and always asks why I decided to sell him and get my current mare (3 years later!). He will always get a pat and treat from her. I think when she is at the yard, and sees me around the horses, it reminds her why I do it.

Ironically, now horse is out on loan and I had mentioned I was considering her loan home allowing them to have her long term so I could sort my finances further, she questioned why I would want to lend my horse to someone and not get them to pay me for it... She couldn't quite see that horse is in a lovely home, and I don't pay a penny at present (saving me around £400 a month)- which has enabled me to buy my first house with the OH.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't :D

Last edited:

Serianas

Visit site
I guess I'm quite lucky that my mum is just over joyed that I was able to pursue the childhood dream because she just couldn't afford to make it happen for me. So she never says anything about the cost of the horses. I'm sure my stepdad and my dad have other opinions but they don't dare voice them!

^^ this.. to the point i have to drag her out of tack shops to stop her buying yet more stable toys, and fluffy pink blingy headcollars... Im almost 30, there is no way my pony is wearing that even if hes only 14hh

NellRosk

Visit site
Hello ladies...we could form a new club!! Also 50, also could have written Cowpony's post! I think 2 years on they have mellowed a bit thank goodness, but approval is not going to happen!

My mum is 56 and my gran still keeps asking her 'when is she going to grow out of horses' and berates her for getting me hooked! I'm just glad I had a horsey mum growing up :) When we got our latest addition we didn't tell gran or dad for 2 years :eek: