Non magnesium based calmer/relaxer?

Boysy

Visit site
Just after anyone's experiences. I have an extremely stressy little pony whose ground behaviour is getting steadily worse, he is like a kid on blue smarties with some sunny d thrown in for good measure!

Background - had him 10yrs now and has always been sharp which isn't a problem and behaviour under saddle is perfect, proper little gentleman, has done allsorts over the yrs and is now being shared by a smaller person as my small person is too big for him.

However his demeanour/behaviour on the ground is now awful, he simply cannot stand still for anything, has to run circles in the field before being caught althou once caught he is a dope on a rope, charges people in the field, pins his ears at you, turns his bottom on you (never follows thru), when tied up he cannot stand still at all, he is the biggest stress bottom ever, head up, swings round, pulls the rope taught constantly, rushes into his stable, rushes out stable, dances around, wide scary eyes all the time, you get the picture?

He is already on MagOx and Brewers Yeast and that's all he has with balancer, no other feed at all so obv he isn't Mag deficient as it doesn't touch him, the behaviour doesn't coincide with the grass coming thru as he's been getting worse since last Sept to be fair.

He is treated with respect at all times, we are all v quiet around our ponies, no raised voices really, never ridden with a stick as simply doesn't need one, he isn't allowed to get away with norty things ( i am not a tree hugger really-lol) and to be fair his behaviour/attitude towards me is better than with other people as i simply don't move if he goes for me in the field and i send him away so he realises actually being nice is far easier than being silly.

So i am after something to trial to see if there is a imbalance somewhere that i am missing or if this is really a behaviour problem that i need to address more firmly.

In my opinion the way he acts is really like a very nervous human who is on the edge.... a bit like my signature panel - LOL!

Boysy

Visit site
Thanks, have picked up D&H Placid today as researching all morning and the best non mag ingredients seem to be Chamomile, Vervain (keep the vampires away!) the L-Trytophan which is in TopSpec and then Valerian but as he competes regulary I'm not sure thats a viable option at the moment. The D&H has Chamomile, Vervain and Lemon Balm so thats 2 ticked off the list. Apparently the Calcium in the Equine America pastes is pretty good as well but I've just order their Ulcercalm to try and that has Calcium in it so may well tip some of that into the mix.

Funnily enough he has been much calmer today but he did compete yesterday and was pretty tired plus it's been over 17dg all day!

Javabb94

Visit site
Second equifeast

Really worked with mine - just bought a pack of their new cool calm and collected bombproofer for other horse until she settles at BE - will see how it goes!