Non ridden equines

Esyllt

Visit site
I have discovered that I simply no longer enjoy riding as much as I used to, however, I love just spending time with my horse, and will quite happily just sit in her paddock and chill, plus we regularly do lots of activities together, such as long in hand family hikes (the dog and husband come too), horse agility, free schooling and liberty/trick training sessions, so it's not like she is ignored and left idle by any means. On the yard where I am keeping her, I am made to feel like I'm being a wasteful and somewhat useless owner because I don't ride her at every given opportunity... please tell me your thoughts and experiences on this, would love to know I'm not alone and that I'm not as bad as I am being made to feel!
Thank you

Sir barnaby

Visit site
Wow, to be honest I often have to make myself motivated to ride, even this morning I though nah can’t be bothered, so did some raking up in horse field Barney insisting on helping kept tipping the barrow, spent most of the morning mooching with the horses, loved it, don’t get me wrong I haven’t given up my ridding yet as he’s such a good boy we don’t do a great deal just hacking so he doesn’t have to be ridden a great deal, when the time comes I can’t ride or he can’t be ridden I am more than happy to have him as a field ornament and I’m sure he would love that too. looking after him is my Valium of life and what I get up in the mornings for, I would be just as happy poo picking tidying up the yard filling hay nets or hay racks, it’s not all about the riding, don’t ever feel guilty you do a darn sight more than a lot of people I know Who keep horses.

magicmoments

Visit site
All that would matter to me is that you care for your horse to meet his/her needs. I enjoy riding, but remember saying to the YO one day when I was sharing a horse that I wished I wasn't riding that day as I was enjoying the time spent with the horse in question. Enjoy your horse the way you want to, and don't allow others to make you think you should ride. Your horse I'm sure doesn't care.

tiahatti

Visit site
My mare is retired and spending time with her is so rewarding. We made time before she retired for grooming and cuddles but poo picking, mucking out, hacking etc were always part of our visits. Now I spend all my time with her pampering her.
If you are not going to ride again, would changing yards to retirement be an option?

RHM

Visit site
You need to remember horses have no ambitions only people do! As long as your meeting her needs who cares how much you ride! Ignore the people on the yard (I know it’s easier said then done), it’s too much of an expensive hobby to be doing something you don’t enjoy and you sound like your having a ball!

Griffin

Visit site
Personally, I enjoy riding but I gain as much, if not more, enjoyment from caring for horses. For me, ownership allows me to be a 'fair weather rider' I love it when the weather is dry and we can go in the school or on a hack but if it is blowing a gale or raining, I don't think either of us mind not doing it.

I think some horses get enjoyment from being ridden (I used to ride a hunter who loved hacking or cross country, you could tell he just loved it) and it can be very useful for keeping them mobile and the weight down but equally I am sure that no horse wakes up in the morning and says "I really want to be ridden today".

I think as long as your horse is happy and you are happy, who cares what other people think?

Winters100

Visit site
I love riding, but I love just as much being around my horses and caring for them. The horse is not 'wasted', it sounds as if she has a wonderful life. My mare is getting on, and when I feel that she wants an easier life we will, as you are doing, do other things instead. Take no notice of what anyone else says. Personally I would far rather see a horse with an owner who wants to care for them but not ride than the other way around.

honetpot

Visit site
Its a growing choice, for a variety of reasons. I have six, but no longer ride, I just decided one day, after riding since I was about 12, I no longer had the urge, but i still love having them. There is a large non-ridden equine group, which I think will only get bigger as we keep our horses for longer and riding can seem to be a bit pressured now, you have to be seen to be doing something.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/thenonriddenhorse/
https://www.thenonriddenequineassociationuk.org/

Esyllt

Visit site
Its a growing choice, for a variety of reasons. I have six, but no longer ride, I just decided one day, after riding since I was about 12, I no longer had the urge, but i still love having them. There is a large non-ridden equine group, which I think will only get bigger as we keep our horses for longer and riding can seem to be a bit pressured now, you have to be seen to be doing something.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/thenonriddenhorse/
https://www.thenonriddenequineassociationuk.org/
Ah I've heard of these groups, but left Facebook due to the detrimental effect it was having on my mental health post breakdown, so haven't been able to check them out

canteron

Visit site
It’s an ignorance thing. I was liberty lunging my horse today followed by a bit of shoulder in and Spanish walk - all without any tack just by body language. It’s all an amazing art on its own and always gains gasps of emotion if anyone is watching.
Ben Hart, David Liechman and Jenku are my current inspirations. My OH can’t see why I bother to ride when our ground stuff is so interesting!
So follow your own dream, not someone else’s?

doodle

Visit site
I struggled for a bit. I loved looking after robin, spending time with him and was anxious about riding him. I battled with myself about wasting him. In the end I managed to get confidence back and I’m really enjoying riding him. However he is with me for life. If something happened tomorrow and he was never ridden again then I wouldn’t be devastated. I enjoy spending time with him as much as riding him. I realised today I had simply been stroking him for ages. He didn’t care. If he has food, buddies and his stable when the weather is bad he is happy. Equally he is delighted to go out for a hack. I’m pretty sure though when he is mooching in the field he is not thinking I really wish I was out eventing and working on my jumping technique. My yard has a mix of never ridden, but groomed and pampered and doted on at the weekend, to people who ride compete and have horses to compete. Luckily no one bothers what anyone else does. Enjoy your horse, if that is riding then fine, if that is cuddling then equally fine.

Keira 8888

Visit site
I totally agree with everyone! Your horse has no ambitions other than to be safe, fed and happy! You sound like a wonderful owner and I bet your horse is extremely happy with your choices. So hard to circumnavigate all the opinions on the yard - I’m learning that myself at the moment! At the end of the day you shouldnt give two hoots about anyone else’s opinion - I know it’s so much easier says than done! Going for a walk with my horse is my favourite thing in the world! Xx

HashRouge

Visit site
I post quite a lot on the forum about my two retirees - neither has been ridden in at least four years, one due to age and the other due to injury. I get just as much enjoyment from them as field ornaments as I did from riding them. I was turning them back out after their dinner this evening actually and I was thinking as I was leading them along together how much I love just spending time with them. It sounds like you do loads more with your horse than a lot of people do with their riding horses, so just ignore anyone who makes unkind remarks and keep doing what you're doing :)

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I bet your horse doesn’t care at all that you don’t sit on her back! She sounds like she has a lovely life going out and about. Ignore other people. Mine is retired and tbh, I”m quite happy just looking after him. He’s perfectly happy, the only horse on the yard that comes to call, perfectly fine.

Equi

Visit site
Riding is human, not equine. I will admit that i knew someone with a beautiful horse (the type you see on tv and in photos etc) who never rode just did liberty etc and i often thought what a waste..but you know what? Its her horse. He gave her infinite joy doing their thing and taking beautiful photos. I rode him once and thought...nah...stick to your day job. With proper riding/training he would have been a beautiful ridden horse too but that wasn't in his owners mind and thats perfectly okay. It didn't diminish the fact he was a literal model horse, he didn't need a rider on him to shine.

M&M&G

Visit site
I get where you are coming from with the yard thing. Different circumstances but I am currently not riding due to horse being broken and building up through rehab exercises under vet's advice. I have lost count, and very bored with, people asking me when I can ride. I appreciate their concern but I am just pleased my horse is improving and as far as I'm concerned, it will take as long as it takes!

outdoor girl

Visit site
I've had numerous field ornaments over the years, either through old age or unsoundness and have enjoyed looking after them just as much as riding them. When I was teaching in a riding school, many many years ago, I sometimes felt that the clients coming to the yard for lessons were just getting in the way of me looking after the horses :eek:(is that an awful thing to admit???). I could easily have a yard full of horses just to look after and chat to. Their wellbeing is my top priority and keeping them looking amazing too:)

Chianti

Visit site
Thank you all for your replies! It's nice to know it is the minority that judge for not riding. I guess I feel it more because she is only 11, but I need to remember I got her for me, and our enjoyment of life is important, not anyone else's

My last horse had to be retired at 12 and had 10 happy years in retirement. I used to get some comments about being 'mad' for paying for livery for her. She was my best friend and I didn't give a .....

Winters100

Visit site
I am off riding at the moment due to a broken hand, but still spent almost the whole day at the yard today. Loose schooled my 2 plus our guest, then did the same for a pony belonging to someone else who needed help. Walked my lovely mare in the forest for an hour and then the same for our slightly tubby guest who needs to lose a few lbs. May not use a lot of his energy, but at least he isn't eating while he walks! I had a really lovely day!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
To me it sounds like your horse honestly has a nicer life than a huge amount of ridden horses.
She’s loved, cared for and given an interesting variety of things to do.
There’s a weird stigma around unridden rideable horses that’s ridiculous.
I could take a leaf from your book and my retired horse would probably be far happier for it.