Non rubbing girths/tail guards - recommendations please!

SueAllen

Visit site
Just changed back to a treed saddle and conventional girths (from treeless and dressage style girths) and find that the Cottage Craft ones I have are rubbing. Can anyone recommend a non rubbing/kinder style of girth as a replacement? I know that leather is meant to be more breatheable and have seen a few types on Ebay that wick away moisture etc so I know they are out there but just wondered if anyone had used one that they could recommend. Also, whilst I'm in that advice seeking mode (!) anyone recommend a good, easy to fit, stays on tail guard for travelling. Thanks!!

air78

www.ctwequine.com
My choice is a leather girth, with a wool girth sleeve. I think this gives you the best of both worlds; the wool is soft and absorbent, you just wash the girth sleeve and don't have to clean the girth every time you use it.

Nari

Visit site
Subben Trevira cord girths are amazing! Soft, wide bearing surface & easy to keep clean. IME they don't rub even on horses prone to girth galls & the horses don't seem to sweat under them much either. My only complaint about them is they don't do a dressage girth
frown.gif

Jemayni

Visit site
Ditto Narri on the stubben string girth! Otherwise, just get a leather one, they last for ever, and are very easy to clean!

I use cottage craft tail guard on my horse, the one with ties, its really good always stays on perfect, and has a bag so clean tail! But it might be a bit of a faff if your horse doesnt really need that degree of protection! If he doesnt, just buy a tail bandage, £3.50 will never move and is easy to fit!

flyingfeet

Visit site
Professional choice girths all the way - never had any sores or rubbing and they also stop saddles from moving!

Cannot help on tail guard front - I have an ifor willams trailer so don't need one as don't get rubbed tails.

druid

Visit site
Girth - one the leather lined w/ removable sheepskin ones. Jefferies and Barnsby both carry them and possibly others otherwise the Stubben Trevira is fab

Tailguard - I like my Westropp ones

Kezza

Visit site
wintec elastic girth's are excellent and cheap at £25. My horse used to get rubbed by all girths and so did my friend's horse and she now has one of these and no rubs. Don'tt get the shaped one, get the normal one, they come in GP or dressage. It has elastic hidden within in it.

Drummer

Visit site
Another vote for the Stubben and another person very very gutted that they do not come in dressage style. My new saddle is a vsd with dressage straps so having to part with al my girths and out of all the ones I have tried that one wins hands down!!!

Evil_Cookie

Visit site
Profesional choice girths are lovely, though they don't agree with every horse, my tb doesn't like hers and collapses. It's my fave girth and I can't use it
frown.gif
A wintec works well for her though, easy to clean and tough.

Don't mean to hijack the thread but on the subject of tail guards, is there one that doesn't rub? Like a smooth neoprene one or something? My mare sits on her tail and gets awful rubs between her hind legs from it, though the tail itself isn't harmed.