Non rubbing saddle cloths / Le Mieux starting to rub

Spangles

Visit site
As per title
We are starting to see some hair loss & think it could be from the Le Mieux saddle cloths.

So, looking for an alternative option that won’t rub hair

Rider not keen on Numed unfortunately

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
That's a pity, as I swear by Nuumed full wool. Not the one with collars, just the lighter weight wool but throughout. They have upgraded their colour choice.

Spotherisk

Visit site
I second the Numed full wool, before that I found Mattes to be excellent, I have some which are over 20 years old and still in excellent condition. I don’t know anything about Le mieux, is the quality any good or are they just for the colour?

HorsesRule2009

Visit site
I'm another who likes Numed, though at this time of year with coats changing some are horse will rub/loose hair no matter what saddke cloth you try.

Good luck hope you find something that works

Ossy2

Visit site
I had exact same problem with le mieux and just replaced to the premier equine merino wool numnah. I have been a fan of numed don the past but a convert to premier equine.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
It is partly the time of year, quality of coat, and the change in shape causing the saddle to wag at the back. Consult your fitter as to whether you should be using a thicker pad or front shims, and otherwise I endorse the Mattes pads which are sheepskin, Nuumed are wool lined, so they are different. The Mattes sheepskin quality, and the construction, make them superior to pretty much anything else but they are pricey!

Pippity

Visit site
If you want something a similar thickness to LeMieux, I really like the Weatherbeeta Prime ones. They wick amazingly well - I've come back from more than a few high-speed hacks to find the horse and lower side of the saddle pad bone dry, while the top was wet.

Widgeon

Visit site
I'm another who likes Numed, though at this time of year with coats changing some are horse will rub/loose hair no matter what saddke cloth you try.

Yes this is true, from a pragmatic POV I probably wouldn't spend a lot investing in new saddle cloths until summer coats have come through and you can tell whether it's a genuine problem.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Every pad rubs my horse this time of year. The LeMieux Senstive pads help somewhat.

I can't just shove a Mattes under there because it might be too thick/change the fit of the saddle. Plus this particular horse is weird about Mattes/sheepskin pads. I do apply some lotion onto the skin to help keep the area moisturized if it's dry and irritated. Then I just wait for the summer coat to grow in.

I did see an invention of sorts that clips onto the back of the saddle pad to solve this problem. However it's faux sheepskin and I lost the link, so haven't looked into it more.