Non-slip saddle pad recommendations

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
My old boys saddle has a tendency to slip back despite being re-flocked and refitted by a saddler with a prolite with shims to adapt to his current shape. It’s a lot better than it was though.
He’s got a high wither prominent shoulder and is short coupled so always a challenge.

I would need one that isn’t rigid and thin enough not to affect the overall fit. I tried an Acavallo that a friend had but it was too bulky. Her newer PE one was really stiff. The older one was ok.

teapot

Visit site

PapaverFollis

Visit site
MrT came with one from Kramer which is slimline and does the job. It's one of the Icelandic ones. Let me see if I can find a link. It goes nicely under his GP saddle.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
My old boys saddle has a tendency to slip back despite being re-flocked and refitted by a saddler with a prolite with shims to adapt to his current shape. It’s a lot better than it was though.
He’s got a high wither prominent shoulder and is short coupled so always a challenge.

I would need one that isn’t rigid and thin enough not to affect the overall fit. I tried an Acavallo that a friend had but it was too bulky. Her newer PE one was really stiff. The older one was ok.

Have you tried a different girth? It can make all the difference with a saddle that has a tendency to move.

What sort of shape is his back does he have a forward girth groove?

What girth do you use at the moment?

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Have you tried a different girth? It can make all the difference with a saddle that has a tendency to move.

What sort of shape is his back does he have a forward girth groove?

What girth do you use at the moment?

I had him in a anatomical Prolite but I think that made it worse. I bought a string girth but it’s too big so I’ve put it on my other horse for now as his Fairfax isn’t working for him anymore. As a temporary measure he’s just in an old Cottage Craft type padded girth that I’ve borrowed- it’s white too so rather unflattering. It does a better job than the prolite though. I’m trying to find his old leather girth buried somewhere in my storage trunks to see if that will work now we’ve adjusted the padding. I thought about adding a point strap but that means his saddle bring away and not sure if it will work anyway. Any alternative suggestions welcome.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
A non elastic leather girth works best on my flat backed horse his saddle sometimes slips, my saddle fitter told me to buy a flexigirth which I have ordered today so can let you know how that goes they are £38 and the company is actually called flexigirth might be worth a look there is a video of how to fit and an example of how stable they make the saddle.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I would want to work out why it's slipping. If it's slipping backwards it's generally saddle fit at issue, if forwards it's usually fixable with the right saddle and girthing combo, including choice of girth straps, though bilateral issues behind can also be a factor in some cases. Iif sideways it's often rider induced; sure, there's the research into hind leg lameness but there's also a really good chance that an asymmetric rider at least contributes to that. So it's asymmetry of the horse/rider combo, which may be exacerbated by poor saddle fit.

I thought about adding a point strap but that means his saddle bring away and not sure if it will work anyway. Any alternative suggestions welcome.

I wouldn't generally use a point strap on a horse with a high wither, or one that has muscle loss, and if you're using Prolite shims then that may be the case.

A non elastic leather girth works best on my flat backed horse his saddle sometimes slips, my saddle fitter told me to buy a flexigirth which I have ordered today so can let you know how that goes they are £38 and the company is actually called flexigirth might be worth a look there is a video of how to fit and an example of how stable they make the saddle.

For our saddles strong elastic is generally best (though the Stubben string girth is also a good option) so it does depend on the saddle/fit, but I've not seen anything good from the Flexigirth, no better than a regular elasticated girth (with good strong elastic), and can pinch the skin between the extended end sections. However, that's on MY saddle fits, and it may be entirely different with other fits.

For very short term emergency use while waiting for the fitter to come the Limpet is probably the least worst option if using against the skin. Sometimes grippy pads used between saddle and numnah can help, something to do with the shear forces I think, but be very careful using anything against the skin -
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Ugh why can't I post a vid from FB?! Find Dawn McCaig, equine therapist or similar name and she has a video on sticky pads.

Last edited:

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I would want to work out why it's slipping. If it's slipping backwards it's generally saddle fit at issue, if forwards it's usually fixable with the right saddle and girthing combo, including choice of girth straps, though bilateral issues behind can also be a factor in some cases. Iif sideways it's often rider induced; sure, there's the research into hind leg lameness but there's also a really good chance that an asymmetric rider at least contributes to that. So it's asymmetry of the horse/rider combo, which may be exacerbated by poor saddle fit.

I wouldn't generally use a point strap on a horse with a high wither, or one that has muscle loss, and if you're using Prolite shims then that may be the case.

For our saddles strong elastic is generally best (though the Stubben string girth is also a good option) so it does depend on the saddle/fit, but I've not seen anything good from the Flexigirth, no better than a regular elasticated girth (with good strong elastic), and can pinch the skin between the extended end sections. However, that's on MY saddle fits, and it may be entirely different with other fits.

For very short term emergency use while waiting for the fitter to come the Limpet is probably the least worst option if using against the skin. Sometimes grippy pads used between saddle and numnah can help, something to do with the shear forces I think, but be very careful using anything against the skin -
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks. Ive been holding off the grippy pad thing due to things I’ve read re them not being a good solution. The thing is he’s 26yrs old and I’m reluctant to invest in another saddle. I’m not sure how much more adjustment is possible with this one. It’s a Keiffer Garmisch which he’s had for most of the time I’ve owned him and the one he’s always gone best in. I’ll post some pics.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Most recent photo on Monday.
Ftjbq1S.jpg

I took the next three after coming back from riding so I could compare.
This is with the anatomical prolite and a PE non-slip pad I borrowed. I think this is the worst combo.
27ONvjN.jpg

The string girth with a plain Nuumed. Which is better.
xJTBsgp.jpg

Today I unearthed his old leather girth which is elasticated both ends. This seems to be the best so far.
b2pk0pK.jpg

sbloom

I think in all of them it's probably tipping back, ironically the first one is probably in the best balance though I'm sure the reality isn't any different to the others, perhaps just the photo. I always ask for photos to include the ground so there's a horizontal reference, and stand level with the girthline to take the photo :)

How is the saddle slipping?

Last edited:

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
The last picture it's really tipping back and agree with sbloom the first picture looks more level.

I can see what you mean. That’s the one that has slipped back the most though. The shims are thicker at the back than the front which only has the fixed padding. However when I tried shimming it more at the front in case it was tipping down at the front and then scooping back it still slipped back. Does the front need widening or the back more shimming? Or neither?

sbloom

What is the slipping issue?
I can see what you mean. That’s the one that has slipped back the most though. The shims are thicker at the back than the front which only has the fixed padding. However when I tried shimming it more at the front in case it was tipping down at the front and then scooping back it still slipped back. Does the front need widening or the back more shimming? Or neither?

So is the saddle slipping back? Can you run through what's happening in more detail? What is the pad you're using, what type of shims, are they trimmed etc? Answers are seldom simple I'm afraid.