normal girth on treeless saddle with dressage straps?

hopo

Visit site
I have a barefoot treeless saddle which has dressage girth straps. I bought a sue Carson girth which rubbed her bad first time using! I plan on getting a mohair string girth. And was wondering if you can use a normal length girth instead of a dressage one as I'm a bit worried about the buckles behind her elbow with dressage girth as she got rubbed there with sue Carson girth. Any help much appreciated, thanks :)

PollyP99

Visit site
I have a barefoot treeless saddle which has dressage girth straps. I bought a sue Carson girth which rubbed her bad first time using! I plan on getting a mohair string girth. And was wondering if you can use a normal length girth instead of a dressage one as I'm a bit worried about the buckles behind her elbow with dressage girth as she got rubbed there with sue Carson girth. Any help much appreciated, thanks :)

I would never use a normal girth with my treeless as the buckles are not protected underneath so would rub, having just viewed the Sue Carlson girth range they look fab and unlikely to rub , what exactly happened, seems odd as they are uber padded and built for comfort by the looks of them.

I use a bannana shaped neoprene dressage girth cheap and cheerful and never rubbed, is nowhere near elbows either.

Something in your setup maybe awry, could you elaborate?

PollyP99

Visit site
surely a standard girth will be far too long ?

Yes agree with this, I ride in a 22 inch dressage for my treeless and a 44 inch for my standard saddle. Can't imagine you can get the right length normal girth for a dressage straps besides the buckle issues??

hopo

Visit site
Polly, Thats what i thought! There is quite thick hard piping on the girth which probably was the reason it rubbed. Its also quite chunky and not very close fitted and shes a small skinny thin skinned arab pony. As far as I can tell it was all fitted correctly in the right place. Its supposed to be contoured but it didn't really have much shape to it. I did notice with the saddle that where the straps come down they're at a slight angle. May have played a part. But she had two small rubbed patches on her girth groove both sides and a rub on one elbow. I mean completely rubbed and sore after one use. It was definitely the girth from the position of it. Thanks for your comment, I hadn't thought of that. Also the buckles would be under my legs. I'm worried that if I get a dressage one again the leather that covers the buckles will rub. I considered a waffle one but she's 16" and smallest is 18". Do you think that makes much difference? Thanks for your help :)

hopo

Visit site
surely a standard girth will be far too long ? if you have problems with rubbing how about trying a sheepskin girth cover and pull it right up over the buckles

The straps on the saddle are quite long. But I know it wouldn't work. I don't really like the size/shape of the girth but I may consider it :)

PollyP99

Visit site
Not sure on the barefoot saddles but on mine you have one strap straight down and the other angled across to meet it forming a triangle shape, the girth should lay flat.

Also feel for you as my friends Arab rubs just looking at a girth, think your. Problem maybe the same with other girths so protection as suggested may be required. My friend has a selection of covers but TBH she can still get sore as she is just so thin skinned.

Perhaps an Arab endurance rider will come along with general advice on managing tubs?

hopo

Visit site
Just to add, because of where the treeless sits on her, when the straps are down, instead of being behind her legs in her girth groove they are several inches behind. i.e the girth sits on her belly rather than her groove. So when I do it up it sits at an angle for the girth to sit in her groove. The sue Carson is not very flexible so doesn't contour. So its not lying flat against her but raised at an angle which likely caused rubbing! Yes, I'm sure the saddle is in right place. Iv looked at some other barefoots on horses and looks like many sit like this. Maybe I need shims as its not raised enough in front or behind, I don't know yet. But either way the girth will rub.

hopo

Visit site
Not sure on the barefoot saddles but on mine you have one strap straight down and the other angled across to meet it forming a triangle shape, the girth should lay flat.

Also feel for you as my friends Arab rubs just looking at a girth, think your. Problem maybe the same with other girths so protection as suggested may be required. My friend has a selection of covers but TBH she can still get sore as she is just so thin skinned.

Perhaps an Arab endurance rider will come along with general advice on managing tubs?

Yeah this is my problem too, the girth doesn't lay flat. The straps on mine are straight but unfortunatly come down in the wrong place. I have heard some good things about the mohair string from people with thin skinned Arabs so thought I'd try! Otherwise sheep sleeves!

PollyP99

Visit site
Just to add, because of where the treeless sits on her, when the straps are down, instead of being behind her legs in her girth groove they are several inches behind. i.e the girth sits on her belly rather than her groove. So when I do it up it sits at an angle for the girth to sit in her groove. The sue Carson is not very flexible so doesn't contour. So its not lying flat against her but raised at an angle which likely caused rubbing! Yes, I'm sure the saddle is in right place. Iv looked at some other barefoots on horses and looks like many sit like this. Maybe I need shims as its not raised enough in front or behind, I don't know yet. But either way the girth will rub.

Mine would too hence the bannana shape required, although designed this way for round bellies so that the girth goes into the groove not across her (ahem) ample belly, don't think you have that issue from your description!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
PP99 is right - the W girth is fab and I have now teamed it with a sheepskin cover. :)

Here's my chestnut gelding modelling it (I think this was his second or third time ever wearing a saddle).

d68bd743-3636-4e07-9a98-dabd05fa0c96_zps88e57a45.jpg

ETA the saddle is a Barefoot one.

hopo

Visit site
PP99 is right - the W girth is fab and I have now teamed it with a sheepskin cover. :)

Here's my chestnut gelding modelling it (I think this was his second or third time ever wearing a saddle).

d68bd743-3636-4e07-9a98-dabd05fa0c96_zps88e57a45.jpg

ETA the saddle is a Barefoot one.

I'll have to check that out! What material? And do you find the girth straps are at an angle? I have the Cheyenne. I'm just wondering if I have too short a girth as yours looks like its just slightly above his elbow and fits fine!? BTW hes lovely :) mines just recently had the saddle on too

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
The girth is leather and it's well cut out round the elbow. I was quite careful when choosing the length so the buckles would be well above the elbows. The girth straps are pretty straight on that saddle but I also use the girth with a dressage saddle which has angled girth straps.

Can you post a photo of your horse? :D

hopo

Visit site
The girth is leather and it's well cut out round the elbow. I was quite careful when choosing the length so the buckles would be well above the elbows. The girth straps are pretty straight on that saddle but I also use the girth with a dressage saddle which has angled girth straps.

Can you post a photo of your horse? :D
Sounds nice. Suppose I can use a girth sleeve. :) sadly I can't put a PIC up ATM but will try tomorrow! Think I could get her an 18" then...

pip6

Visit site
For one horse I use a podium girth (designed for treeless podium saddle, dressage girth length). The other, wearing the same saddle I use a wintec elastic dressage girth (in photo). Trick is get one where there is a backing piece behind the buckles, and no seams up the sides of the girth. I've tried using standard dressage girths that have a seam, and even with sheepskin girth sleeve they rub. Get a girth long enough to be clear of elbows. A good girth should only need a sheepskin sleeve to absorb sweat for comfort, not to stop rubs.

016_zpsd07f3eae.jpg

hopo

Visit site
For one horse I use a podium girth (designed for treeless podium saddle, dressage girth length). The other, wearing the same saddle I use a wintec elastic dressage girth (in photo). Trick is get one where there is a backing piece behind the buckles, and no seams up the sides of the girth. I've tried using standard dressage girths that have a seam, and even with sheepskin girth sleeve they rub. Get a girth long enough to be clear of elbows. A good girth should only need a sheepskin sleeve to absorb sweat for comfort, not to stop rubs.

016_zpsd07f3eae.jpg

Perfect, thanks. She definitely needs a longer girth. Is that the wintec waffle? I'd really rather get a decent girth than mess round with sleeves :)

Lara- May

New User
Visit site
Can someone advise,,,,,,I'm struggling to tighten the girth once I'm on as it's to far down for me and always need someone on the ground to help. Any advice please would be appreciated ��

kez81

Visit site
Argh! There is no such thing as a girth groove on a horse! The girth should ideally sit about a hands width behind the leg with horse stood up straight however if the horse has a round belly or the saddle is too far forward it will be pulled further forward. If the girth buckles can rub the elbows, then the girth is too short. It should ideally reach just a few holes below the saddle flap. A rough guide is 20 inch shorter than standard girth length but this does depend on where on the saddle the girth attaches and type of girth used. Personally I found neoprene girths suit treeless saddles the best. On my cob a standard straight girth does the job but on my Arab who has a well sprung ribcage and round belly, I use a banana girth which prevents the saddle and girth being pulled forward. Do you have any pics of saddle on your horse, I have trialled so many treeless saddle and girth combinations I maybe able to help