Norman's Rockley Update

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Yes that's understandable but at least you know it is possible and you just have to tweak your situation if you have any issues. I'm sure you will do great.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Fab changes :D, I know how you feel with not wanting to do the wrong thing though! I've been re-habbing mine at home without any optimal surfaces, she's still doing ok so chin up you will do him proud I'm sure!

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Thanks, I just need to keep his little fat face off the grass in the daytime until October then hopefully I can breathe until spring again!

I will no doubt be asking Nic for help along the way, and the HHO bf mafia of course ;)

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I think his heels and frogs look a lot better
can I suggest a really small screwdriver for getting stones out the white line while it grows out ;)

Buddy'sMum

Visit site
I think his heels and frogs look a lot better
can I suggest a really small screwdriver for getting stones out the white line while it grows out ;)

Or horseshoe nails work really well (I may have pinched a few from a friendly farrier!)

Agree that the fogs and heels are much improved. Hope all goes well when he comes home.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Thanks for the tips, I'll probably have to take one out with me when going for walks as no doubt he'll hobble if so much as a speck gets in. All the more incentive to get lots of miles in his feet to get to the good stuff :)

I think his frogs look huge, they might have to get their own names ;)

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Ah true, I would probably lose the nails somewhere in his bed and worry though, managed to loose the bright orange screwdriver!

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Ah true, I would probably lose the nails somewhere in his bed and worry though, managed to loose the bright orange screwdriver!

I've lost a bright yellow bot knife somewhere, it was so handy for cutting open hay bales.

I'll also not use a nail as I know it will only end up in his feet!

Boulty

Visit site
Looking good :) Gonna admit I found a hoofpick with a slightly pointy end worked just fine for stone removal (I also am not above picking them out with my nails!) and artimud and field paste by red horse are both v good for packing little holes with

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
So, managed to get the 3.5t wagon so made it down in super quick time. Just in the hotel but heading off to the beach with my dad for an ice cream. It's raining obviously, but we're at the seaside so it would be rude not to have an ice cream.

Picking up the norm tomorrow, hope he enjoys his last night with all his buddies and his bff Josh. :)

kirstie

Visit site
My horse came back from Rockley 6 months ago today. I have continued her rehab over the winter and she is now in proper, full work. Just follow Nic's advice and you will be fine.

I'm beyond delighted with how my horse has done since she went there. When she got to Rockley she was so lame she couldn't weight bear at the back of her foot. I thought she'd have to be pts. I'm now arranging lessons, planning a beach trip and returning to competition this summer.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
That's great to hear kirstie, I can only hope for the same. Can't wait to move out of walk, it feels like rehab is all I've done for 5 years!

Norman was great in the morning, I even got to briefly meet Josh's mum before we set off. We had a pretty epic 8 hour journey home, traffic was not ideal, but not as bad as the traffic heading to Devon! We also got to be at the front of a rolling roadblock, something that's not happened before

I took him out for a walk on the Saturday, day off yesterday, and took him for a hack today. I use the windy conditions to make our average speed over 1 mile an hour! He's not been turned out with our herd yet, as my sister's horse is still giving him evils, despite living together the last 11 years! And I know if I turn him out there Will be running and fighting. My sister's horse is 25 and should be more sensible, but we don't want anyone to hurt themselves, and our ground that was drying out is now slop again :(

indychick30

Visit site
That's great to hear kirstie, I can only hope for the same. Can't wait to move out of walk, it feels like rehab is all I've done for 5 years!

Norman was great in the morning, I even got to briefly meet Josh's mum before we set off. We had a pretty epic 8 hour journey home, traffic was not ideal, but not as bad as the traffic heading to Devon! We also got to be at the front of a rolling roadblock, something that's not happened before

I took him out for a walk on the Saturday, day off yesterday, and took him for a hack today. I use the windy conditions to make our average speed over 1 mile an hour! He's not been turned out with our herd yet, as my sister's horse is still giving him evils, despite living together the last 11 years! And I know if I turn him out there Will be running and fighting. My sister's horse is 25 and should be more sensible, but we don't want anyone to hurt themselves, and our ground that was drying out is now slop again :(

Hi Stencilface, glad you got back safely and lovely to hear he is doing well :) was great to meet you!
Josh loaded really after I said he was a pain to load...Norman has obviously been a good influence on him ;-)

I've been out on a couple of hacks with Josh and he does fine on good smooth Tarmac however he is still footy on not so good ground. Annoyingly, he seems to want to walk on the gritty/stony bit in the middle of the road rather than the smooth surface either side. Which would be fine except when he goes over a large stone he then stumbles!

Will be lovely to hear about Norman's progress now he is back home :)

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Hi Indychick! It was great to meet you too, I'm glad Josh went in the trailer well, he was probably looking forward to going home :)

Norman is the same on less than smooth tarmac, he doesn't even really like the slightly textured tarmac, and he seemed a bit pottery this morning for some reason - I need to buy some field paste to fill up the holes in his feet. Let us know how you get on with Josh this summer, and enjoy your loaned horse for doing more than walk on. I am so bored of hacking in walk, it feels like its all I've done for 5 years!

AnitaStreet

Visit site
I'm hoping to send my 7 yo to Rockley - I spoke to Nic today. Are you happy with how things have gone? Good progress? Any info greatly appreciated :)

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Yes, and yes. He's definteky sounder on the odd trot I've had on hacks (to get round a corner etc for cars) and I'm hoping for continual improvement if I can keep on top of his grass intake, as he's a fatty naturally!

The horses all seem happy there, and if your horse goes in summer they'll probably get to go on the grass at night, Norman would have loved that!

AnitaStreet

Visit site
Really pleased it went well - how lame was your horse when he went? Mine is only v slightly lame now and I can't actually feel it, but looked at his foot placement on Saturday and sent Nic the videos. He's landing v toe first so our hope would be that changing that might get us to soundness. We're officially on the waiting list!!!

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Thats exciting! Norman was 'sound' in my eyes going uphill on smooth tarmac. He was almost sound in trot on the flat, however he looked odd, thats because he was actually lame in both front feet! He was 3/10 lame on a circle on a hard surface.

I'm now worried about grass and that I will manage to mess it up somehow, but hopefully I know what to look for now, and I definitely know where to go for help. Will it be a long trip for you? I can recommend staying in the Premier Inn in Barnstaple, its only 20 mins away and its new and lovely and you know what you're getting, they didn't look at me strangely when I took a saddle into my room or parked a horsebox out the front either!

AnitaStreet

Visit site
Poor Norman! But lucky you sent him to Rockley. It sounds like it's working for you. Yes I bet it's terrifying that you're going to mess it up somehow but you know you've got somewhere to go for advice. I really hope it all works out and you can go forward and have fun with him again. It's sooooo depressing having a lame horse, especially when all your friends are out having fun.

My horse Ginger is 1/10 right fore on soft, or 2/10 lame on hard in a straight line (worse on corners). He's never been lame in walk even though he started off 6/10 when he did it in trot. It's been a year now since he hurt himself, my vets differ in the opinions on whether he'll continue to improve. And we're so close... one last roll of the dice!

Nic has been very helpful since I contacted her on Friday with lots of information including looking at his videos. She said a 4-6 week wait but I have a feeling it might be sooner. I am excited but also terrified as if she can't help I think we've reached the end of the road and he'll retire (at 7). I guess you know that feeling...

Thanks for your tip on the Premier Inn, we've got to travel from the Isle of Wight so it's a long drive and a ferry crossing!

Keep us updated!

Leg_end

Visit site
Don't forget the Rockley forum is a great source of advice from people who have been through the same journey and are being successful (and Nic is on there too!). I used it a lot when B was at Rockley and during the first year of learning.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Thanks, yes I'm on there now. Its definitely the help and resources I value from the Rockley experience, as well as the massive difference Nic made in only 12 weeks obviously! When you have no support at home, and no one who knows what you're on about it can be like banging your head against a wall, at least now I know other who have been through a similar thing. I don't think I'll make the Rockley rehabs reunion this year as I'm not sure we're be sound and up and running by then, knowing my horse he'd go lame just before it anyway! :mad3:

I know there are other places to stay, but you always know with a premier inn, and won't be stuck in a dank dated B&B. It was a 6.5 hour drive for me, without traffic, 8 hours on the way back, I hired a little box which was a dream to drive. I would also recommend going to Woolacombe by the seaside (mind you, not that you'll be looking for beaches if you're from the IOW :D ) as its a beautiful beach and has some lovely cafes :)