North Yorks people.......Help please!

Groom42

Visit site
Am entered for Skipton Novice, Sunday, and would like an up-to-date ground report if possible! If anyone is course-walking tomorrow/Saturday, would really like to know how the ground is. Pony doesn't particularly enjoy hard going (who does?), but Skipton is about four hours from me, and I am loathe to travel for what could conceivably be just a dressage test on what is forecast as the hottest day of the year! Many Thanks, in advance!

jumptoit

Visit site
I'm not close enough but will PM you after I go on Saturday, if you don't find out before hand :).

Last edited:

Charlotte125

Visit site
Im walking it on saturday for the novice on sunday so i can let you know. On their facebook page someone has asked about the ground and they said they have the machinary to ensure good ground. I live 15 minutes down the road and everything is rock solid so i hope they do a good job!! x

Groom42

Visit site
I live 15 minutes down the road and everything is rock solid so i hope they do a good job!! x

That's what's concerning me! Thank you both..........look forward to the update.
To be fair, Organisers work incredibly hard, some more than others, but the best, and most objective, assessment of ground is going to come from someone who wants to ride it, rather than someone who wants others to ride it. (ducks to avoid flak!)

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I went past there this morning as it was raining, so with any luck it might be a bit softer for you, think there is a little more rain forecast too :)

k9h

Visit site
I live 20min up the road & we are rock hard. There was a slight drizzle this morning but not enough to make a slight change to the land. Am heading that way tomorrow so can call in & walk if you like & report back?

k9h

Visit site
Ah sorry, I didn't know how long the rain went on for obviously! :)

They could of had a down pour for all I know & now be on soft ground! Doubtfull but could happen! I am next door on the Sunday at the gamefair at Broughton Hall!

k9h

Visit site
Well I walked the course an hour ago for you!

Took a couple of pics too!

They have aerovated the whole course which it needed.

The first quarter & last quarter are the best of the going as the fields have only been eaten off by cows. Where as the middle half as been harvested so closer cut.

It is firm but there is a firm spongy give in the first & last quarter & slight give in the middle half.

I am not going to say run or not, as I do not know your horse! That desicion is down to you! (Get out for me)!
Novice is 2080m long & 4min time, I think it read?

25062010125.jpg

25062010126.jpg

25062010127.jpg

Hope that makes sense to you! If you want to talk about it PM me your number & time to call you! I may make more sense!

jumptoit

Visit site
I rode it today and thought the XC was fine though the dressage warm up was hard, but it's probably a bit different when you're on a sturdy pony compared to a 'proper' horse ;)!

thomb

Visit site
I rode it today too, I wouldn't say the ground is great, have been on much better recently, and its quite hard realy, probably the best ground is in the show jumping. On the XC the first couple of fields have been spiked, but are cattle grazed, so not great, and then they've cut the grass on the top fields, so its ok, but still quite hard. If your horse has good strong legs that do lots of road work, then i'm sure you'll be ok, however, if your looking for perfect going, I wouldn't bother ( Hutton ground last week was much much better if you want a comparison).

jeanettethree

Visit site
I rode it today too-the ground was fine. No puffy legs afterwards and it didn't bother me (im normally very picky)

The grounds been thoroughly spiked and after the horses on it today it was nice and bedded in...

The worst bit id say is on the top of the hill but its only a short run. Good Luck :)